Le Tour de France (and other cycling) Thread

• @Weadre

No way, would I use that. All that would do is stop it getting wet.

The handlers throw them round like fuck and don't show the same care you would
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Nooooooo Gerant Thomas. Paying for all the work he did for Froome in the first week. He was basically chaperoning Froome single handed at time during that week, Froome's team has been shocking this tour. He had Pouels today, and G has been a colossus all tour (apart from today), but Richie Porte and Konig have been very disappointing and Standard didn't really offer much help in that first week.
    GT: Knight640
  • What a stage. Great stuff from Quintana. Good damage management from Froome.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Police gunfire in the run-up to the finale. Nice.
  • Made it back from holiday with bike still in one piece. Place at gatwick didn't have enough bike boxes for us so I ended up using that plastic bag I'd bought as backup. Worked fine. Gave it a bit of padding and a lot of tape. Would definitely do it like this again I think.
    EzjqoZTl.jpg

The way back was a bit dicier. Couldn't track down any bike boxes in Copenhagen. Ended up buying those cheap rain covers and just putting the bike in that without any padding, then sealing the top with a few cable ties. Amazingly no damage. Although one of my friends had a disc brake knocked out of place.
    60Mw80hl.jpg

• Good news, what sort of mileage did you do?
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • This Tour is crazy. Green and Yellow jerseys finish 1st and 2nd.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Today was extra crazy! Crash close to the finish and Froome without his bike. Mollema wasn't too pleased (mainly because Quintana also got extra time, but wasn't in the crash). Still, he's close to a podium place, Dumoulin won the other day, which has been two years since a Dutch guy got a stage win so that's exciting. Plus I work in a store that mainly sells Trek as racebikes, so the better Mollema does this Tour, the more people we may get in.
  • And now footage emerges of Quintana grabbing a tow from a motorbike just after the collision yesterday. All kicking off.
  • Hello all.
    It's nice weather again so I might have to break out the lycra and become a bike wanker again.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I am mountain biker and part time roadie wanker. There's not many mountains outside my front door so road is more convenient for fitness.
  • Ah, nice to see a bike thread! Went out myself today for a ride (Cross country/MTB). First one after the post-Covid fatigue shite.

Short and steep. 9km with 235m elevation. Sweaty work.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7338666831/segments/2973931457192858800
  • Nice work!
    I'm itching to get back out and do some cross country, lots of nice routes around the new house to explore.
    Just gotta convince the wife to let out for a while!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Check this out. Absolutely nuts.

• I did a 74 mile charity thing last year (road) - it was tricky.
  • But what i really love is camping near the black mountains in wales and doing the gap at penn y fann
  • Djornson wrote:
    I did a 74 mile charity thing last year (road) - it was tricky.

Was it a big organised thing or Independent? I used to do the BHF London to Brighton thing a bit. That was a good day out on the road.
  • Tour De Vale (Aylesbury Vale) - organised by the charity Wheel Power
  • I'd be up for doing the London Brighton one! I don't have any roadie friends :(
  • I just love getting out in the countryside, miles from anyone and just cycling to clear my head.
    Best part is taking my drone with me and combining it with a photography session when I stumble across some beautiful views
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    So Quick Step have announced their team for Le Tour and Cavendish isn't in it. It was expected because their other sprinter has been great this year, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't ridiculously disappointed that he's not going to get the chance to  break Merckx's record.
  • Well, it's well and truly underway.

The riders currently riding across an 18km long bridge. Oof. Brutal in head/sidewinds. Sprint to follow.
  • I think this is the most I've been engaged with the Tour in years. I was a little disappointed initially that Cav was dropped, but the battle between Pog and Vin is set up really nicely now going into the deciding days. The incredible ride from Tom Pidcock a couple of days ago was a real highlight too. Bright future for that guy.
  • What a race this was. Looking forward to dipping into the womens tour this weekend for the key GC days too.
  • It was probably the best Tour I've seen since I've been watching them (since around 2007). 

Here is how Denmark receive a Tour winner...

G8WQhtCYodSvuU2MzBZ94j-1200-80.jpg.webp
  • If anyone first got into cycling with the Ullrich vs Armstrong era the new bio on Ullrich, ‘the best there never was’ is brilliant. Written by Daniel Friebe.
  • I guess this must be the right thread to ask for bike advice, right? I'm looking for a budget moutain bike and wondered if anyone had any hot tips? 300-400 odd quid? Is that realistic for something half decent? I'm only wanting it to cycle along a cycle path to the gym. Any advice appreciated.
  • Scout wrote:
    I guess this must be the right thread to ask for bike advice, right? I'm looking for a budget moutain bike and wondered if anyone had any hot tips? 300-400 odd quid? Is that realistic for something half decent? I'm only wanting it to cycle along a cycle path to the gym. Any advice appreciated.

Are you willing to consider used? How come an MTB if you are just going along a cycle path? Sounds like a hardtail would do it for you if you are keen on an MTB.

I bought a used Specialized Rockhopper Pro 29"er a few years back for £400. It was in mint condition. Hardly used. The 29" wheels means that it's nicer to ride on the flat than standard sized 27.5" wheels. I initially used it for commuting along a canal towpath, but since got into MTB and have done cross country MTB, all kinds of downhills and trail center stuff. I'd say something like this would be a good shout if you want an MTB that is nice to commute on, with the potential to do some proper riding.

Decatholon have a good rep for low price bikes that are ridable, although I haven't ridden any myself.

But...I think for your budget, for an MTB, go used. You might get an absolute bargain like I did.
  • Scout wrote:
    I'm only wanting it to cycle along a cycle path to the gym.

Then you don't need a mountain bike! Mountain bikes are made to be thrown down mountains and that costs money. My budget full suspension mountain bike cost £1100

A hybrid would be your ideal here. I reckon this would do your job:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/hybrid-bike-riverside-120-grey-2021/_/R-p-300806?mc=8405304&c=GREY

I would definitelty go Decathlon over Halfords, BTWIN are a respectable brand, Carrera has been run into the ground by Halfords.

Ideally go and try different sizes but if not use a guide like this https://www.tredz.co.uk/help-advice/product-help/sizing/bikes/bike-sizing

If you wanted to go second hand to save more money i would go for some form of Giant Roam. My Giant Roam is 3 is 11 years old and still going strong i use it everyday.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!