Le Tour de France (and other cycling) Thread
  • How much time did Schleck lose then?
    GT: Knight640
  • 31 to Wiggo I think. In a 7 minute TT.
  • Evans needs to do something spectacular. I don't see him taking any time out of Wiggins in the mountains, and Wiggo is by far the better TTer.

Come Monday, Wiggo will have the yellow firmly in his grasp.

A long way to go, but it's looking very good. Sky look amazingly strong, Evans just doesn't have the same quality of support.
  • Go Wiggo!

This is absolute domination at the moment. It's almost good that Froome's frustration at being kept on the leash has gone public because it's livened things up a little.

I'd be so bored of this parkour if it was two Italians/Frenchies/Dutch/Spanish e.t.c at the top of the standings instead of 2 Brits. The organisers have done a good job with the 'transition' stages and LOADS has happened this tour but 3 mountain top finishes (and one was a medium mountain stage) is really rubbish and looks like it'll lead to a procession for the one outstanding time trialer amongst the GC contenders.
  • True, BUT I do think that if someone like - hmm - Contador had been in the race, it could have been different.

Truth is, Evans was never great, and now he's older and with a poor team. Nibali's impressed but hasn't done enough.

Sagan's been awesome too.

Wiggins is the best in the peloton, end of argument. Armstrong and Indurain were also the best TTers.

Froome has been great, but I still think Wiggins would prevail. Would be a cracking contest though.
  • It is looking like a bit of a procession at the minute.

Sprint today. Would be nice to see if Cav can pick up another stage BUT I wonder if acting as a super-domestique over the last few days will have dulled his acceleration?
  • An in form Contador and A Schleck would have made the race different for sure. Things would have blown up on the 3 mountain top finishes. Still though, a prologue and 2 long time trials, I'd fancy Wiggins.
  • Even with a healthy Andy Schleck in the race, I would still fancy Wiggins or Evans. Far too much TT in this year's race. I'm a huge grand tour fan, but this year's Tour de France has bored me to tears. I just hope someone attacks Wiggins this week in the mountains to make things interesting.
  • I'd be with you, except... It's a Brit in 1st and a Brit in 2nd. How can that possibly bore you?
  • Don't you mean that it's a half-Aussie born in Belgium in 1st and a South African born in Kenya in 2nd or do we just switch to that nomenclature if they blow it?

Still if they're happy to be British I'm happy to have them (and cheer them to the rafters).

PS - our olympic team;
    One half-aussie born in Belgium
    One South african born in Kenya
    One Manx domestique(!)
    One Maltese who considers Hong Kong to be "home"
    and Ian Stannard

Errr God save the Commonwealth? ;)
  • Knight wrote:
    I'd be with you, except... It's a Brit in 1st and a Brit in 2nd. How can that possibly bore you?

I'm not particularly bothered what country the cyclists are from so the fact Britain are one and two makes no difference to me. I like individual cyclists and don't support a particular team.
  • Is there a particular reason people are leaving tacks on the road to sabotage this mentalness?
  • Is there a particular reason people are leaving tacks on the road to sabotage this mentalness?

Nothing been proven yet but I thought it was interesting that no-one in the break-away was hit on stage 14.

It's the 1st time the tour has been over that particular hill so it's just as likely to be someone pissed off that their road has been closed rather than anything more planned/ cynical. I don't imagine it was a deliberate tack-tic of one of the teams supporters.

It happened to the Etape Caledonia in 2009 (and that was someone on the local council ffs!) and 2011 (although I cycled the 2011 event and I don't think the at-tack was widespread).

Sorry
  • Voeckler's two stage wins have been the highlight of this year's Tour. Chapeau, le chou-chou.
  • Chris Froome could've won the Tour himself quite comfortably this year by the looks of it if he wasn't wiping Bradley Wiggins' arse every day.
  • Froome could have won on a Sky team without Wiggins, yes.

Loved the way they both showed they can climb today. No-one took any time out of them in the mountains, in fact they pulled further away and showed that whinging Aussie up as the chancer we all knew he was.
  • I dunno, Froome vs Wiggins would have been very close. Clearly Froome was the better climber but we don't know how much better. Lets see the time gap between Froome and Wiggins after Saturday's time trial, less than 30 seconds and I think Froome would probably have had the edge. Thing is though, with a prologue and 2 long time trials, and only 3 mountain top finises, 2 of which were slightly crappy mountain top finises, Sky would have been mad not to make Wiggo team leader.

I do wish Froome would have been allowed to go after Valverde for the stage win today but at the end of the day, who cares, we've almost certainly got a British winner for the first time ever. Absolutely brilliant. It's great to hear Wiggins' interviews, means so much to him :)

• I don't really follow cycling at all other than when le tour is on, so i was wondering...is Froome better than Wiggins, in the sense that is it just team politics* holding him back?  or is it as much a sensible decision that if Froome was pushing to beat Wiggins, Wiggins could respond and push harder, but the risk is that they both spanner themselves out?

* i don't mean that in a sinister way, and i appreciate the need for the team to be based around one individual winning overall...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Team Sky are set up to win the tour for Wiggins and Froome will have known that from the start.

I reckon he's been strong enough to have more than wiped out the gap between him and Wiggins on the Moutain stages and probably give himself a healthy lead ahead of the last TT, but we'll never know.
  • Froome's been hampered by some sort of parasite for a lot of his career so it was only at the Vuelta last year, where he finished 2nd and Wiggins 3rd, that people began to realise he might have grand tour winning potential. Wiggins has got the pedigree and so had to be the team leader for this tour, especially after the ridiculously good season he's had (won almost every race he's entered). Has Froome been the better rider in this tour? I think it's impossible to tell. Only Froome on a different team would have told us. But if next year's course includes less TT miles and more climbing ones I'd be shocked if Froome weren't leading the tream presuming his form's as good as it was this year.
  • I think I rode a section of the Tour the other day. I rode near Ramboullet or however you spell it and there was a very windy and steep section with a sign that was saying it was going to be closed for the race, I think. I'd be interested to see how quick they do it because it was slightly hairy but a lot of fun.
  • Well done to Wiggins but I can't shake the feeling that a fit Andy Schleck would have made things more interesting. Definitely one of the least exciting Tours of recent years with no real fight for yellow. Very disappointing although delighted to see Voeckler take two stage wins and the King of the Mountains jersey. Let's hope next year is better.
  • If Cavendish wins this afternoon... wow. What a tour for Britain.
  • Fuck me this is tense!
  • Outstanding!
  • Cavendish wow. Sky set him up a treat and he brought it home. Beautiful.
  • Isn't is cool when Britons don't fluff it at a pro sport.
  • The sprint at the end was incredible, was really on edge watching it all unfold live. Most exciting bit of sport I've seen so far this year I think.

Thought the breakaway group had done enough to nick it, especially when the peleton just couldn't cut their lead on the 3rd & 2nd last laps. Fair play to Wiggins, said he'd take Cavendish through the final KM and did the business, as did the entire team.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    adored wrote:
    The sprint at the end was incredible, was really on edge watching it all unfold live. Most exciting bit of sport I've seen so far this year I think.
    Did you forget the end of the Premier League season?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!