Christmas Cake/Pudding/Ham bake/steam/roast-a-long 2023 edition
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm going to do plenty of pics this year.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Might give the pudding a go.
    Mamma livdiv can't eat nuts which most of the decent shop bought ones have.
  • Neither can I but last year Waitrose Hestons whole candied orange xmas pud was nut free and ridiculously good. If you see one, pick it up!
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Good tip, cheers. Wasn't there some kind of middle class mania over them last year? Black Friday Cabbage Patch doll levels of hype.
  • Yep, it was justified though, the big one with the whole orange in the middle was the best Xmas pudding I ever had!!!
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Gonna see how doable this is in China. Hype!
  • Looking at the ingredients and equipment needed Im not sure i can justify doing the pudding. Might have a go at a Yule log though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Picked up the sherry. Pedro Ximenez from Sainsburys. I plan to use what's left over in the punch as I've found a recipe that uses sherry amongst its ingredients.

Baking tin ordered via Amazon. Ordered a deep one with a 20cm diameter as per Mr Martin's instructions.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Doing the pudding- staying home for christmas- chances are won't have a trad. dinner till boxing day so deffo eating boozy pud. all day
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • What booze is everyone using?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • DS is using White Lightning.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Classy.

For the cake if I choose Brandy  I'll probably go Remy Martin as I have plenty of that. Have Hennessy too though, and an unopened bottle of something called Asbach Uralt which is a German drink and supposedly rather good. 

If I go spiced Rum I have Sailor Jerry, Cap. Morgan's Gold and Bacardi Oakheart. Not sure though.

Straight rum-wise have Bundaberg and Myers's (sic) Plantation Punch.
  • Not getting one of my ma's puds this year because we're not visiting till January. Shame.

I think she uses sherry and some Guinness for the booze. Makes it extra dark and rich.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Well folks - it's fruit soaking day. Anyone following Nigella's recipe will be putting the pudding ingredients into the sherry for next week's Stir Up Sunday.

Pics later.
  • One down, one to go.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Pictures.....

Ingredients (more needed for next week of course)

pudding1.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Receptacles:

Larger bowl on left will be used to steam the actual pudding. Up front is smaller one for steeping the fruit.

Raisins, Sultanas and Prunes. You cut the prunes up with scissors. Actually quite nice to chomp on out of the packet.

pudding2.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    All in the bowl (150g each)

pudding3.jpg

Sherry added (175ml) and swilled around a bit. After this clingfilm applied over the bowl, lid clipped on, and into a cupboard for next week. Sherry smells glorious.

pudding4.jpg
  • I'm so jealous of the amount of worktop space you have.

I have decided I am going to make stollen nearer the day.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    We have acres of worktop actually. We lived with next to nothing for nearly 15 years and went over board with the next kitchen. Our island is 12 feet long. We now admit to ourselves that we spent a bit too much.
  • Haha, it's worth it mate.
    I have space for another worktop in my kitchen, probably two or three cupboards length but that would double the space I have available.
    Might do it when I change the worktops.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's the one room we have spent a lot of money on. We have no intention of selling and don't care about investment (though the value has gone up appropriately according to the bank valuation) - this is our house until we croak or downsize.

Anyhoo - pudding steam next week. And a davyK first - Christmas cake - those remaining raisins and sultanas will be used in that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Well boys and girls...I got the pudding started on Sunday but for logistical reasons had to put the cake off until today.

Just a couple of pics for each - before and after shots.

Pudding ingredients (breadcrumbs missing from the shot - I just bought a packet from Tesco)..I don't want to figure out how much this is all costing me. I probably should though...

puddingIngred.jpg

And after mixing and 5hrs of steaming...

pudding5hrs.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cake ingredient assembly. I've opted to play safe and go for Remy Martin.. Raisins, Sultanas, Cranberries, Cherries and Dates. Have halved the dates and some of the cherries.

cakeIngreds.jpg

And in the oven (20mins to go as I type - have to feed it some Brandy when I take it out of the oven. Double wrapped with baking paper inside and newspaper outside as per Mr. Martin's instructions.

cakeOven.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Pudding needs another 3 hrs - will aim to do that on Xmas day provided it isn't in Wifey's way.

Cake needs to be fed again in 2 weeks. Kept in clingfilm once cooled. Fingers crossed on this project - never tried a cake before.
  • Loving the pics and updates. Keep 'em coming.
  • Yup. Awesome stuff.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Fed the cake some more brandy over the weekend. Will leave it a week or so before applying marzipan and icing.

The cake is ever-so-slightly crusty on the top so I'll remove that before icing. It's recommended to do that anyhow so you have a nice flat top and bottom.It smells great. The cupboard I keep it in smells of cake even through the clingfilm.

Several glasses of the remains of the pudding sherry were consumed weekend before last (daughter's 18th).
  • Can't wait to see this :)
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!