God
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Also, science relies just as much on faith in hypotheses that haven't yet been proved just as much as any religion does. The difference being scientists are usually (but not always) willing to accept a new evidence if it's proved (though often go back and try to prove the original hypotheses all over again and spend their time arguing just as much as zealots do.) God doesn't exist because I can't prove he does? Neither does the Higgs Boson then, stop wasting your time looking for it. Believing in something someone imagined was there but can't prove? Sheesh. What is the world coming to.

Take maths.
    negative numbers. w t f.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Every 'religion' is based on trying to prove the previous one was a load of nonsense.  Science is the most interesting one so far, as its getting us back to being very interactive with what we believe in.  The most passionate religious people I've ever spoken to are the atheists. If religion is based around belief then their God is a powerful one.

I think you might want to look up the definitions of religion and atheism!  The only way you'll prove to me that "God" exists is if you simply rename quantum matter and energy "God". But that's just moving the goal posts, something religion continues to do. From where I sit, Christianity, Judaism and Islam force people to essentially apologise for existing. They're based entirely on the continual use of guilt and fear to create subservience amongst their followers, to allow those who wield the power to profit either by egotism, political power amongst their church, or in monetary terms. I have to admit to having a fondness for eastern teachings in Confucianism, Taoism and Buddhism. But I don't consider those to be remotely theist. Gautama Buddha, Lao Tzu and Confucius were men. Indeed, Buddhism was originally formulated as a reaction to the theist nature of Hinduism and it's use of the caste system to keep unworthy people in power while the populace suffered. I'd class them as "really nice ways to behave". A far eastern Don'tfuckthingsupism, if you like.
  • Also, while revel is looking up the definitions or "religion" and "atheism", he should have a read of the definitions of "faith" and "theory" (throw in "dogma", "hypothesis" and "scientific method" as well for good measure).
  • Gonzo wrote:
    Where some of the antigodfreaks go wrong, and where they can be said to have faith, is to seek to replace the void of God or religiosity by some kind of replacement monolithic principle, usually around the idea of rationality, or reason, governing human endeavour. There is a tremendous amount of scientific work now coming out to show how wrong that is. I read recently The Social Animal, by David Brooks, that uses a lot of this sorta research. Reason and rationality cannot be given too great a role in human endeavour, because so much of it would break down if rationality were indeed a requirement for every decision.
    I've come to my own conclusion. That we're completely insignificant and without purpose. A small, short lived, self destructive contaminant on the surface of an insignificant planet circling a mediocre sun towards the outer rim of an unremarkable galaxy in a universe full of billions of similar galaxies. Once you get over that fact, life seems to make more sense : )
  • "Everyone's significant to someone" is about all I can conclude re: human purpose.
  • Thats kinda depressing
  • Ali wrote:
    Every 'religion' is based on trying to prove the previous one was a load of nonsense.  Science is the most interesting one so far, as its getting us back to being very interactive with what we believe in.  The most passionate religious people I've ever spoken to are the atheists. If religion is based around belief then their God is a powerful one.
    I think you might want to look up the definitions of religion and atheism!  The only way you'll prove to me that "God" exists is if you simply rename quantum matter and energy "God". But that's just moving the goal posts, something religion continues to do. From where I sit, Christianity, Judaism and Islam force people to essentially apologise for existing. They're based entirely on the continual use of guilt and fear to create subservience amongst their followers, to allow those who wield the power to profit either by egotism, political power amongst their church, or in monetary terms. I have to admit to having a fondness for eastern teachings in Confucianism, Taoism and Buddhism. But I don't consider those to be remotely theist. Gautama Buddha, Lao Tzu and Confucius were men. Indeed, Buddhism was originally formulated as a reaction to the theist nature of Hinduism and it's use of the caste system to keep unworthy people in power while the populace suffered. I'd class them as "really nice ways to behave". A far eastern Don'tfuckthingsupism, if you like.
    I agree about organised religions. I'm not saying I believe in Organised Religion I never have.  Religion is based around beliefs systems - A belief system itself doesn't necessarily have to be spiritual either. Hence why I made my statement about Atheism as well. There are those that believe in it so strongly, it would be hard to tell them and a religious zealot apart.
    djchump wrote:
    Also, while revel is looking up the definitions or "religion" and "atheism", he should have a read of the definitions of "faith" and "theory" (throw in "dogma", "hypothesis" and "scientific method" as well for good measure).

I still don't see where you are coming from, except to sit and the sidelines and not join in.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Ali wrote:
    I've come to my own conclusion. That we're completely insignificant and without purpose. A small, short lived, self destructive contaminant on the surface of an insignificant planet circling a mediocre sun towards the outer rim of an unremarkable galaxy in a universe full of billions of similar galaxies. Once you get over that fact, life seems to make more sense : )
    Sure, but since we only experience the universe through our own conciseness, through very unique experiences and interactions with other people that no one will ever replicate it makes us very significant to ourselves and those people we interact with. Plus, once we're dead and gone we can still kinda 'live on' albeit as genetic information.

Also, I don't care what anyone says - the milky way is pretty remarkable!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I want to hear more about Higgs Bosom please.
  • He's really small and good at hide n' seek.
  • I still don't see where you are coming from, except to sit and the sidelines and not join in.
    I'm not going to bother joining in until you bother to use words correctly to mean the things they're supposed to mean.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    I want to hear more about Higgs Bosom please.
     Physicist Peter Higgs was nuzzling his wifes Higgs Bosom when he came up with the idea for the Higgs Boson.
  • djchump wrote:
    I still don't see where you are coming from, except to sit and the sidelines and not join in.
    I'm not going to bother joining in until you bother to use words correctly to mean the things they're supposed to mean.

Not stopped anyone else. And I think everyone else has the just of what I mean as well.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Not stopped anyone else. And I think everyone else has the just of what I mean as well.
    Now you're jist taking the piss.
  • I'm not going to bother joining in until you bother to use words correctly to mean the things they're supposed to mean.
    Now you're jist taking the piss.
    ;)
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Proper Friday thread this 'un. Pass the popcorn Skerret you greedy VB drinking bastard.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    You're both taking the gist.
  • I do like a good chin wag on a Friday.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    I'm very disappointed that on a Friday afternoon a thread in a small video game forum has failed to prove/disprove the existence of God.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I thought we did? His name is Peter Hughes.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    I thought we did? His name is Peter Hughes.
    Okay but who's the Devil then?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Whoever delivered the Edge forum. We shall not speak his name.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Nice reply there Mod, I've just ran us a bath, bubbles and everything. Don't be too long x
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I'm very disappointed that on a Friday afternoon a thread in a small video game forum has failed to prove/disprove the existence of God.

Just jumping in the bath, be about 45 minutes. Have this sorted by the time I get back.
  • Right I'm off. Might be back later. Might have popped out of existence instead.
  • This one time, I smoked a massive bucket of Salvia and god appeared before me. She took my entire psyche off me - memories, personality, ego, subconscious mind, everything, so I was just left floating in space, still existing but no longer "me". Then she turned my psyche into a glove puppet, put it on her hand and started acting out little moments from my life, but she made it fun and silly and not all heavy and depressing like I'd thought it was. Then she gave it back to me and said, "there, that's how you're supposed to use it." Then I came round. That was fucking weird.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • I'm not at all religious by the way, just to clarify.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • Good, because they set on U like lions if you don't agree to their science hokey pokey..

Just kidding like.
    I'll think I'll leave this thread alone now.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Face'll be up in about 5 hours, make the most of it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!