Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Until then, though, Rise will most likely prove a very enjoyable instalment, regardless of whether it’s a little over simplified and flashy or not.

Yeah, I can see this eating my life for a while to come. But I'll still moan about it like a grumpy old man. ;)

On other hand, I've just discovered you can swap out the pictures in the Monsters lists in the Hunter's Notes for ones you've taken yourself. Move over, Pokemon Snap.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • How's the stability been online? I'm just curious as I'm seeing a lot of "ah but it's okay, they're a small team/they're giving lots of feedback via twitter" for the other big online Co op game that launched this week. Not seeing any reports of difficulties in MHR but I could've missed it.
  • Had one disconnect in about 12hrs online, but in typical MH fashion it just lets you carry on fighting the monster. Otherwise it’s been series standard, and is very quick to load in.

Cinty definitely stutters around the joint a wee bit in my end but we are very far part. The america/u.k./china trifecta were hunting strong. In fairness they’ve had the infrastructure around for a decade, plenty of time to iron stuff out/easy to gauge online activity thanks to this doing slightly less than World at launch. Don’t really think it’s an apt comparison.

Compare Outriders mess to, say, Blizzard’s continual fuck ups and abysmal communications and PCF come out looking rosy, you can set your yardstick as long or as short as you want with this stuff. Transparency is key, so good on PCF.
  • Mmmm. Fair enough. Vague memories of the one time I played Tri online on the Wii with Kilted Moose and I think Swirly. Fun time.
  • Yeah, connection has been pretty stable for me, and I have had a few disconnects but, in fairness, I have to use a VPN setup to even connect in the first place.

I’ve actually been really impressed with the online side - lobby joining and quest joining is very fast and easy, once you figure it out.
  • Tigrex in World is scary af.

edit: with some weird hitboxes.
  • Barioth was a bit a of chore as it was, so I'm not super looking forward to the ol' Tigrex.
    I won't fail the mission - I never fail missions - but it won't be a quick go.
  • Nargacuga was a bit of a chore. Lovely feathers though.

I don't care for this archetype.
  • Overly aggressive angry thing - Tigrex, Narga, Odogaron, Nergi etc. - is my favourite.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Narga weapons, whilst not a be all end all (because nothing in these games ever really is) seem to be some of the best for just "going in and fucking shit up"
  • Is this one easy enough to get into for an 8yr old? MHW seemed too daunting. 

Wondering if I should get it for the boy. Maybe 2 copies and I can play co-op with him. He seems interested.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • My boy’s been dabbling, he’s only 6 but can manage the early big monster fights without any help. There’s a lot to take in at the start though.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Not a fan of Barioth at all - the most annoying so far. Narga has different moves now but is still ace. Probs my favourite monster of all time.

For Tigrex, Rise's version is a pussy cat in comparison - for now, but who knows when there is a G version.

I just need Rise's wirebugs to deal with World's Tigrex :-). Or farm MR armour because things hit really hard now.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Is this one easy enough to get into for an 8yr old? MHW seemed too daunting.  Wondering if I should get it for the boy. Maybe 2 copies and I can play co-op with him. He seems interested.

I would think so. You can try the different cameras (click to point towards monster, or click to lock on). That would reduce some of the initial learning curve of working out the monster's moves. Then it's a case of getting the occasional hit in without being too greedy to learn openings.

Monsters are quite weak to start with so you can learn while getting hit. And then practice item selectinf and healing on the move.

Is this the same child that produced the SMM2 level design? If so they have a mental age sufficient for this game already.
  • Thanks. Yes same kid. He’s doing well on BotW too. Understand and does parries and dodges ok just not consistently well.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Narga weapons, whilst not a be all end all (because nothing in these games ever really is) seem to be some of the best for just "going in and fucking shit up"

Yar - good affinity and usually generous sharpness plus decent stats / skills for respective weapon type. The LBG, for example, had rapid fire pierce 1, slicing and para ammo, with fast reloads, so it’s just a super comfy point and shoot weapon that did a lot of the heavy lifting for me into HR. The Hammer, again, is also one I used and it’s not the most powerful but it does decent hits, doesn’t need to be sharpened all that often and has high affinity.

Love the Narga weapons.
  • Heavy rushed through this with Cinty so I have barely had time to craft an array of weapons. This week i’ll probably spend some time doing some leisure hunts for materials to widen my available pool of weapons as I am basically just running the second Ludroth Gunlance as it was the first one I could craft in HR with blue sharpness.

HR7 and lack of good kit is starting to show up - Mizutsune is a surprisingly nasty fucker with some really weird movement that can combo you like Rath, but from weirder angles - that diagonal soapy slide and beam can really catch you unawares.

I think today I am gonna try Bow.
  • 3rd triple cart of the game goes to HR Mitsu (1st two were to village Magna). This Mitsu is more like the demo version.

2nd cart was to its 360 water beam. I was blocking with a SnS and the game decided 'nope'. MH doesn't do blocking well if you are on a slope (World is the same). Practically full health as well. 3rd cart was me trying to use the dog to leave the area as Mitsu was ready for capture. When I finally got on the dog, I hit a bubble and almost immediately by a Mitsu attack. That was from 150 health.

This is with 130 defence.
  • Smashed his stupid dragony face in now. HR6.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Heavy rushed through this with Cinty...

Co-op Bois.
  • I’ve somehow put 70+ hours into the game already.
  • Farming HR Narga for its armour and possibly its weapons. Have 3 pieces now - 291 defence in total. I will be invincible.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I’ve somehow put 70+ hours into the game already.

Insane I wish I could have done the same. I love it so much
  • HR7 Reached! The HR6 urgent is a lot of fun!
  • Good stuff Tempy.

The annoying thing for me is the Switch is my son's and he's started using it the last few days. Plus, he buggers off at the weekend taking it with him.

Clock is ticking to get this done in its current state.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Haha, under pressure Monhunning right there!
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Beat Magnamalo, onto 5 star village quests now. Was a fun boss fight, looking forward to some more challenging fights now. 

Tried 4 player online with friends and it was smooth sailing into a joyful technicolour beatdown. Felt sorry for those low level hub beasts, they never stood a chance.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Whoa I'm on 4 star Village. Is the big boy up next? Better get STRONK ON DANGO
  • I just "finished" the game, now on to 5 stars and time to farm Mizutsune for that lovely looking armour. I've found the Bishaten set to have been pretty reliable for the most part up to now, but know I'll need better Fire/Ice protection at some point.
    PSN: Trampoline_Hero | Switcheroo: SW-4808-6417-1689

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!