The General "E-Sports" Thread, or 'making a living from being dead good at games'.
  • For some reason I thought Squash was already in.
  • The other fairly obvious problem is the 'current' games change too bloody often.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    1. It's a terrible thing to watch. 2. If Counter Strike is in the Olympics then all other human competitive activities might as well be. From squash to darts to connect 4, chess, scrabble, power boats, that funny little birdman competition where they jump off the pier, sheep dog trials, pumpkin growing, and gurning. 3. With most if not all Olympic events there's visible evident skill and/or effort, and you can usually see people pushing themselves to the very limit in the pursuit of their dreams. A nerd tippy-tappying away on a keyboard does not an Olympian make.

1. Thousands, if not millions, disagree with you on a regular basis.

2. I'd totally support chess for an Olympic sport. The high level guys spend as much time honing their game as any "real" athlete. And as for your other examples, other events in the past have included dog grooming and city planning. No, really.

3. Sounds like you don't watch much competitive video gaming. High level stuff is intense. If you're picturing the fat bloke with the wrist brace from the World of Warcraft episode of South Park, you're a million miles from how players actually compete.

Blending points 2 and 3 - high ranking South Korean Starcraft players practice 10 hours a day, six days a week. That's a more intense training regimen than most "real" athletes, AFAIK.
    WorKid wrote:
    The other fairly obvious problem is the 'current' games change too bloody often.

The Olympics has a history of 'guest sports', including angling, pidgeon racing, and motor cycling. While it would probably be unfeasible to have a specific version of a game as an Olympic event every time, you could easily have the current competitive scene darling as a demonstration sport.

For me, the Olympics should be about celebrating skill and high levels of achievement, rather than only promoting "real" sports or things that are "fun" to watch. (I'd rather watch paint dry than synchronised swimming, but I get that floating with your arse in the air and maintaining a smile, all in time with music, can be difficult.)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Considering poetry used to be an Olympic event, I think there's room for for E-Spurts (lel).
    Early modern Olympiads featured dog grooming and city planning. I'd have no problem with Olympic Counter Strike.

Comp Cites: Skylines unf yes.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Comp Cites: Skylines unf yes.

"And we see the British competitor building a lovely little park in the middle of his shopping district... oh no! A tornado! How will he deal with this?"

Fucking sold.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    high ranking South Korean Starcraft players practice 10 hours a day, six days a week. That's a more intense training regimen than most "real" athletes, AFAIK.
    Ahem... whut?  This is nonsense Swoily.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Squash should be an Olympic event. It's already recognised by the IOC, and has been voted on for inclusion multiple times. It lost out to the re-instatement of wrestling last time. How it isn't in but BMX, synchronized swimming and rhythmic gymnastics is boggles my mind.

As for counterstrike being a terrible thing to watch...

resize?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpuu.sh%2Fc3Cld%2F869b8911cd.jpg&key=a45e967db0914c7fb472fd4381e6c85b&width=425

I find it better to watch than a fair few of the existing Olympic sports.
  • I enjoy shopping more than watching some current Olympic sports. Perhaps we should have Supermarket Sweep in the Olympics?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Gets stop this its SGDQ time! All the best speedruns of a couple of the best games and a phenomenal amount of shit! For charity!!
  • I'm not sure that Supermarket Sweep is an accurate representation of the shopping experience.
  • It could work in the context of making it an Olympic sport tho.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Dale Winton camping it up on mid afternoon telly was a highlight of my youth, coupled with Henry "The Mad Irish Bastard" Kelly bossing it on Going for Gold when my nan used to babysit.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    P349OEy.jpg

" Oi put de nut on dat Lithuanian fella in de first row, sweaty wanker"
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    That Irish translator program is shit.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    high ranking South Korean Starcraft players practice 10 hours a day, six days a week. That's a more intense training regimen than most "real" athletes, AFAIK.
    Ahem... whut?  This is nonsense Swoily.
    Citation needed. I know they train hard (hence being Olympians) but a quick internet search suggests Michael Phelps, the best swimmer of all time, trains for six hours a day.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Another quick search result - Mo Farah, marathon runner, does five hours plus an evening run. Unless his "evening run" lasts another five hours...
  • I think Skez was questioning the intensity of playing Starcraft vs swimming, running or other athletic conditioning, not the time spent.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I don't understand why "there's been shite in the Olympics before" is an argument for putting more shite in it now.
  • Counter Strike is beginning to disprove the 'constantly changing games' thing now. And MOBAs are similar enough for changing one to be almost akin to changing the individual events within something like track cycling.

To the untrained eye it doesn't necessarily look like great skill is being displayed in something like CS but then it doesn't with lots of Olympic sports. And the reality is, both for individual skill and teamwork CS is nails.
    GT: Knight640
  • WorKid wrote:
    I think Skez was questioning the intensity of playing Starcraft vs swimming, running or other athletic conditioning, not the time spent.

It's probably not as intense, but it's not exactly a slouch either. These guys hit like two hundred actions per minute and I'd wager it's fairly mentally draining and stressful too. The difference being they can quite likely kick back and have fun a lot easier and with a lot less risk to performance than someone like Phelps.
  • Tempy wrote:
    These guys hit like two hundred actions per minute

Korean guy ABCD, best on the planet at bms:

Not his best performance but the only hand-shot I know of. Sure the actions may not be as complex as mouse+keyboard manoeuvres, but that's over 3000 keys in around 2 mins.

Any road, FPS is pretty boring to watch in its current form, you simply can't see enough of the action at once. We need free-roaming cameras, operated by professionals, which can then switch to player cam etc. for hype moments. I'd watch something like Gears if captured by a decent free-cam, swooping over the action at the start, seeing the teams fan out making plays etc. Realistically though only classics like Tetris or fightmans have a chance, and even then it's a minuscule chance, of being accepted as legit contenders.
  • I think that spectator option will come in time.

I think at the minute the problem, if you could call it that is that the people who currently watch csgo and league, dota etc. prefer to watch from the players viewpoint so that they can see everytime they fuck up so they can spam a wall of failfish in chat.

This doesn't help the broader appeal of the game though. I think ultimately what would be good is the spectating camera operated by competent people and directors to frame the action properly, with like picture in picture to flick between streams from the player screens and then maybe go full screen on a players monitor if they were on a tear up.

The problem is getting developers to spend the money to code those camera options in.

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Aye pretty much what I was going for - people like G.man operating the default action cam, but viewers can switch to player cam if required.

Would be humorous to mix proper Olympics with failfish chat OMG LOLZZZ GAY FAIL USAIN KILLAH FAAAIILLLL streaming up the side of the telly on BBC coverage.
  • Heh, his hands basically make it look like he's having a fit after a bit.
  • Any high level mental activity puts a great strain on your body. Chess might just be sitting there occasionally moving something just in front of you, but the strain on your cardio vascular system is massive.

It's also true for high level esports. It's not the same thing as me bumbling around on halo.
  • Chess might just be sitting there occasionally moving something just in front of you, but the strain on your cardio vascular system is massive.

What?

• Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    WorKid wrote:
    I think Skez was questioning the intensity of playing Starcraft vs swimming, running or other athletic conditioning, not the time spent.
    It's probably not as intense, but it's not exactly a slouch either. These guys hit like two hundred actions per minute and I'd wager it's fairly mentally draining and stressful too. The difference being they can quite likely kick back and have fun a lot easier and with a lot less risk to performance than someone like Phelps.
    Indeed.  At his peak Phelps was consuming 12,000 calories a day and would have needed a good ten hours of sleep a night, plus (presumably) physio and other conditioning work that wasn't part of his higher intensity training.  Elite Olympic athlete regimes would near kill your average schlub (me).

If someone can produce some research to support the notion that elite e-sports generates a comparable level of intensity, I'd be interested to read it.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Nexx wrote:
    Chess might just be sitting there occasionally moving something just in front of you, but the strain on your cardio vascular system is massive.
    What?
    He means that giant chess you see outside libraries.  Those rooks can weigh upwards of 50kg.
  • Fucking AC Slaters up in this thread trying piss on the Screechmens chips.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Screech was a cunt tho

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!