The General "E-Sports" Thread, or 'making a living from being dead good at games'.
  • 100m Dirty Sanchez - I'm game.
  • Roujin wrote:
    I think that spectator option will come in time. I think at the minute the problem, if you could call it that is that the people who currently watch csgo and league, dota etc. prefer to watch from the players viewpoint so that they can see everytime they fuck up so they can spam a wall of failfish in chat. This doesn't help the broader appeal of the game though. I think ultimately what would be good is the spectating camera operated by competent people and directors to frame the action properly, with like picture in picture to flick between streams from the player screens and then maybe go full screen on a players monitor if they were on a tear up. The problem is getting developers to spend the money to code those camera options in.

Have you ever actually watched video of people playing FPS games? Watching 3rd person is guff. There is obviously room for using 3rd person perspective, zooming over the map at the beginning etc , but for the majority of the time you need to be watching the action from the player's perspective. And I don't say this because I want to spam in chat it's because I've actually watched some FPS (CS, Quake Live and Halo in competition and Halo in montages, and you don't have to watch much to realise.
    GT: Knight640
  • No I've never watched any fps being played competitively ever, I just made all that shit up up there for the lols.

I think, especially in team based games, there is potential for some really good viewing from a wider angle as you will be able to see the teams working together, moving across the maps, their lines of fire, etc.

I totally acknowledge that all the time this is going on you are potentially missing the mlgnoscopez action from the direct players feed. But I it was being done properly, you would have PIP from the casters end of whoever was playing well at the time, and you could also go for replays of stuff if something good happens while watching the arena.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • HLTV had that years ago.
  • Roujin wrote:
    No I've never watched any fps being played competitively ever, I just made all that shit up up there for the lols. I think, especially in team based games, there is potential for some really good viewing from a wider angle as you will be able to see the teams working together, moving across the maps, their lines of fire, etc. I totally acknowledge that all the time this is going on you are potentially missing the mlgnoscopez action from the direct players feed. But I it was being done properly, you would have PIP from the casters end of whoever was playing well at the time, and you could also go for replays of stuff if something good happens while watching the arena.

What you're saying makes me wonder. CS:GO is already doing all that.
    GT: Knight640
  • It's that time of the year again, it's The Fifth International. The prize pool is at something mental like $17million at the minute, meaning the team who get to 6th will win $1million. For 6th! Jesus!

Last years meta was ok, but the Chinese Dota style meant games were very conservative and people often gave up fairly quickly. The current meta is a little more exciting, but I'm a little bored of certain picks already. The last patch made team fights far more important, so it's frequently very exciting and complicated to watch, but every time I see Bounty Hunter banned my heart sings a little, because it means 5v5 fights actually happen.

Anyway, the coverage is top notch. Fun times.
  • Is noobstream back Temps?
  • Yeah it's still on. Bit too basic at times for my taste, and Pyrion isn't involved yet which is a shame as he's a lot of fun.

Currently Valve are suffering all sorts of shit. Net issues yesterday, apparently a massive DDoS today. It's a shame. They're essentially sacrificing some security for the functionality of the DotaTV stream system. It's a shame.
  • Nearly every game this tournament has been utterly electric. Player skill combined with the current meta is making for some utterly jaw dropping fights and turnarounds. It has been fun watching with Pez messaging me excited comments.
  • I watched some of this last night, I know nothing about mobas beyond the basic premise and character mechanics, but they were making it look pretty hype.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • There's a noobie stream on twitch which does its best to break stuff down, I'm not sure how it is this year but it has been good in the past.
  • Ah, excellent, I can hang with the rest of the plebs.
  • I've caught a few games and have found it better than last year but still a bit dull. Real heavy team fight meta in the games that I watched and the hero pool seemed quite limited.
  • The meta has limited the hero pool considerably, and Chinese Dota rules the roost, but these fights go on for ages and are nearly always utterly clutch. It's frequently impossible to tell who is going to come out on top: last nights game 3 between Secret and IG was fantastic, similar to CDEC and LGD game 1 which I'm watching just now. There have been two team fights that have come down to the wire in a way that was frequently absent last year.

The limited pool is a bit of a shame, but Phoenix and Luna have started to enter the rotation now and the drafts are slowly changing. Still, i'd take multiple nail biting team fights over a 15 minute deathball win.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Man... Baare' cheddar's getting thrown at this DOTA ting', innit?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yeah, the losers of the current game (last upper bracket match) will each come out with around four hundred thousand dollars, if there's an even split between the five players and the coach. One of them is 16 years old.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    There's that, but I was thinking more about the presentation...
    Gman's our resident expert, but I'd guess more money's been spent on broadcasting this series on Twitch,  than is spent on the world snooker championship...

It's a really slick production.

That chick, whoever she is, is getting on my nerves though...
  • What is going on here? What the hell Is this? Is this drugs? You lot better not be doing drugs.
  • Just a bit of adderall, helps sharpen the senses.
  • I only ever watch snooker while high.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Actually, the losers bracket starts off with more bombast. And isn't five hours.

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Now I've seen everything.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Space Invaders US National Championships, 1980.

space-invaders-1980_zpsyoycuh1n.png
    Source.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • That is amazing.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Tempy obviously a bit of a surprise there.

I'm probably on my own here, but I hate the level of money involved. Games should be for entertainment, not early, stress-induced heart attacks.
  • It's the Overlook Hotel photo for nerds.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Did you beat Hicks? Is that why he was always angry?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I'm just going to leave this here...

http://www.budlight.com/eSports.html

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!