Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    All those black people and women in good white mens roles.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    I do think left wing creep needs to be qualified and explained and defined here. It means nothing in isolation. What do you mean?

• Funkstain wrote:
    Or you’re just winding me up as usual in which case carry on

Heh, a little of both. Plus that website that show news source leanings.

BBC
  • Funkstain wrote:
    But the scale man. The scale! Someone quickly pull us up an infographic of the output of the BBC. Dramas. Soaps. Comedy. Radio for everyone. Podcasts for everything. World service in multiple languages. Local services. Sports. News and current affairs. Arts and culture. Documentaries on everything. Music. Web content. IPlayer.

I think the local services is the big difference.

RTE does all the rest as well though.

Im not trying to argue about scale of output as obviously the BBC is bigger. All I was trying to say is you can probably have a national broadcaster funded by advertising and it not immediately compromise the output. Will probably be a absolute shitter for everyone used to watching BBC 1 and suddenly getting adverts every 15 minutes though.

That'll probably actually the bigger annoyance for most people than editorial independence.
  • If it needs a tax then it needs to be more transparent about what that covers.
    For a start the label 'TV license' is massively outdated. It should be a 'media license' if anything.

Secondly it seems grossly unfair that if the funding covers such a broad spectrum that consumers of one particular aspect should pay for it all.

It has to move away from that model because regardless of who is in government the number of people signing up is dwindling.

I would suggest a tax on mobile and broadband contracts.

Edit: There used to be a radio license. Then a combined radio and TV license. The radio eventually just became free for all. I think basic TV should probably be the same as it becomes mainly the reserve of older people.
    Just like the radio made way for the TV as the primary outlet online services are taking over TV.
  • I'm happy to pay my TV licence, I think it's incredible value for money and I don't even watch much BBC content.
  • But isn’t the problem (or at least the argument made by license defenders) that you cant’t really justify niche services, or providing a more universal service which covers more than any one particular person may want or need - which means we all end up paying for stuff we’d never use all of, which again sounds like I dunno the NHS or roads or other things taxes pay for?

I was greatly encouraged the other day hearing about Starmer’s plans to expand the NHS to cover prevention rather than “merely” cure, I’d happily pay more for that even though I think I’d probably not need it

Is it not comparable? Is “media content” mere entertainment, hardly comparable with society saving services?
  • most right-wingers complain of BBC bias because all inclusivity is tokenism in their eyes. suddenly there are black/brown/disabled/gay/trans people in their fave tv shows, and this, they argue, is ramming a political ideology down their delicate snowflake throats. 

conversely, left-wingers complain of BBC bias because their news coverage rarely challenges the prevailing economic orthodoxy, and they borrow their talking points from the right-wing propaganda rags.
  • nick_md wrote:
    I'm happy to pay my TV licence, I think it's incredible value for money and I don't even watch much BBC content.
    Same.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    But isn’t the problem (or at least the argument made by license defenders) that you cant’t really justify niche services, or providing a more universal service which covers more than any one particular person may want or need - which means we all end up paying for stuff we’d never use all of, which again sounds like I dunno the NHS or roads or other things taxes pay for?

I was greatly encouraged the other day hearing about Starmer’s plans to expand the NHS to cover prevention rather than “merely” cure, I’d happily pay more for that even though I think I’d probably not need it

Is it not comparable? Is “media content” mere entertainment, hardly comparable with society saving services?

Totally agree on Starmer's preventative approach. Music to my ears that. Sent it to my dad who is on the fence about voting Labour for the first time. He has been banging on about a preventative NHS for a decade now.

Back to the license. I think labelling is important and if we were to make an NHS comaprison I would argue a 'TV license' is a bit like calling healthvare taxes 'GP tax'. One fairly large aspect of the whole. Can be called a 'BBC tax' maybe. The point really is to make people think about all the services available not just one that they may not even use. Broadcast TV is dying so whatever happens BBC funding has to be detached from it and targeted at what people are using.
  • I’d pay £150 in tax a year just so every child in the country has access to CBeebies.

I’d expect a few less repeats maybe, if I’m paying that much.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Funkstain wrote:
    Or you’re just winding me up as usual in which case carry on

Heh, a little of both. Plus that website that show news source leanings.

BBC

Damn, a random website said it? It must be true.
  • Raise taxes, nationalise the BBC and fund it centrally. Enshrine the necessary level of funding in law, linked to inflation. Done.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    If it needs a tax then it needs to be more transparent about what that covers.
    For a start the label 'TV license' is massively outdated. It should be a 'media license' if anything.

Secondly it seems grossly unfair that if the funding covers such a broad spectrum that consumers of one particular aspect should pay for it all.

It has to move away from that model because regardless of who is in government the number of people signing up is dwindling.

I would suggest a tax on mobile and broadband contracts.

Edit: There used to be a radio license. Then a combined radio and TV license. The radio eventually just became free for all. I think basic TV should probably be the same as it becomes mainly the reserve of older people.
    Just like the radio made way for the TV as the primary outlet online services are taking over TV.

There's an article on the Guardian about this that points out the issue with this is that it would significantly increase the cost of accessing the internet, which is potentially pretty unfair. I guess general taxation would be more equitable but a harder sell to the public.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I can't recall the last time I consumed BBC anything. Maybe they just need to start making very niche podcasts and hobbyist Youtube channels, according to a survey of my entertainment diet now.
  • @ERE
    While they aren't wrong I consider that a broader argument about inequality in society.

Currently there isnt a discount or free access to a TV license for those on benefits either so I think there is already a related issue there that needs resolving.
  • poprock wrote:
    Raise taxes, nationalise the BBC and fund it centrally. Enshrine the necessary level of funding in law, linked to inflation. Done.

Fuuuuuck no. Imagine if a government had literal control over the corp.
  • I stopped watching BBC and paying for a license years ago since they don't do much that interests me.
    The idea of me paying a tax to fund a TV station I would never watch annoys the hell out of me.
    You rang.....
  • My taxes pay for plenty of things I don’t personally use. I’m okay with that.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Totally agree on Starmer's preventative approach.

Run around the park, ya fat bastard! sounds about the measure of it.

We can cut beds now — we've warned the fat bastards off Mars bars. Imagine ending up on Jamie Oliver Ward. Leering photos of NHS-branded smugness; a sugar lecture on the telly.

Done properly, it's obviously a great idea.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    The quality of the writing on their prestige dramas is usually laughably shit and ludicrous. That's the bit that really stands out for me on international comparisons. The low budgets and the rest are excusable. But the writing is unforgivably bad.

Yeah, when I see people recommending dramas, I use ‘Is it BBC/ITV?’ as a yes/no decider.

Dorries wrote:
    We still want to produce high quality British programmes – none of us wants endless American dross on our screens.

Mightiest of lols. For me, the crossover happened in the late '90s, when I saw how Homicide shat all over The Bill, and we got Oz instead of Bad Girls. Century turned and The Sopranos; The Shield; Deadwood; The Wire...

The last engaging BBC drama I can think of is Band of Brothers, but that wasn't really theirs. It's interesting that a lot of Thrones was filmed in Ireland (ditto Vikings), and The Witcher in Northern England, but it's all American TV.

In reality it's global TV, but like you say, most of our writing sucks. Constrictive censorship remains a problem, where even quality writers have to accommodate it, in turn making it hard for them to not fall into that as a style for hire. This Is England and a few others are exceptions that prove the rule. C4 Meadows is good.

And with Curb, Always Sunny and loads more, the yanks have even crept ahead on comedy over the past couple of decades.

Miami Vice is a neat parallel, where brilliant ingredients were diluted severely because it had to shy away from violence and swearing, and likewise for the period, had mostly episodic writing.

If they brought it back (still set in the '80s), they could have scarily realistic violence now, believable dialogue, and the benefits of refined season-long+ writing skills. The Shield with '80s glamour (Shane had the wardrobe already); not that Vin Diesel shite.

But Dorries doesn't want that foreign muck, she wants a new xenocom for Cleese or something. At least the BBC stopped bothering me with warning letters after about ten years.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Latest Escape hot take: BBC has produced no engaging drama for 21 years.

Hmm.
  • I've not watched TV in a very long time but I do miss the documentaries, the BBC 4 stuff. TBH though on reflection a lot of that can be bettered with a combination of quality YT vids and reading articles, but there's kind of no good replacement for great BBC nature docs.
  • Lurch666 wrote:
    a tax to fund a TV station

Fuck’s sake
  • Ah I watched Taboo! That was fucking trash but I'm definitely catching Season 2 if it ever happens.
  • poprock wrote:
    My taxes pay for plenty of things I don’t personally use. I’m okay with that.

Yeah this is my favourite reaction people are having that baffles me because they just gut react "I DONT USE THE BBC DON'T WANNA PAY FOR IT"

Bitch, I don't have kids, or use social housing, or have a chronic condition requiring treatment, should I not be okay with my tax money paying for that?

It's like all of the world services and the radio on top of everything else with the BBC as well. Plus the ability to make programmes that don't have to have to turn a profit means they can produce stuff that otherwise would not always get commissioned. BBC's news coverage of late has been obviously, pathetically partisan shite, but the number of people who are happy to throw it all in the bin because THE FUCKIN TORIES of all people say we should is staggering.

I'll rep the fucking arts and media 4eva and the Tories can fuck off and so can everyone else who thinks arts and media shouldn't be something the UK taxpayer should fund for our own cultural benefit. Fucking narrow minded dunces, etc.

Imho just raise income tax by the amount the licence fee brings in or something, and ditch the licence fee. People out here acting like they haven't been enjoying shit like all the bbc2 comedies from the 90s, or top gear, or bake off, or noel's fuckin house party, or listening to the radio EVER, or watching the shitting Olympics, or tennis, or rugby, or world cup.

Just because it's easier to access the niche stuff that interests you on the internet, or hyper budget US flagship series on a Netflix account you don't even pay for your just use the login your brother in law have you for his family account, etc., doesn't mean there's no value in the Welsh language local news and shit. Smdh this whole thing has really pissed me off. Fucking tryin to take the BBC away, find me in Blackfriars I'll help you inspect the underside of the bridge, etc.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!