The British Politics Thread
  • Yossarian wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    One in 16 people worldwide use BBC news one way or another.

And just think what that does to promote “global Britain”.

I do always wonder why the flag nonces aren't happy about that.
  • Steven Baker is lining himself up for the inevitable as well.
    He holds a lot of power in the party, on his say there will be enough letters sent to the 1922 committee.
  • I'm risking death for the Spider-Man. They just advertised Peaky Blinders.
  • Rigby has two sources, Peston has one (possibly the same) and there’s Cummings who has gone public (who may also be included in the above). So that’s anything between 2-4 people that are contradicting Johnson’s statement in Parliament. All gone public (of sorts) at the same time.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Operation “take big dog round the back of the shed with a shotgun”.
  • Anonymous sources plus Cummings aren’t going to cut it though. Needs this email to come out. Preferably after a few more lies about it from Johnson.
  • When does his isolation end? He was out jogging this morning.
  • It’s well established now that he’s a liar. I doubt that more evidence or more instances of lying are going to make a blind bit of difference.

He has supporters left no matter what he does. The question is how many, and is it enough?
  • Missing vowels round was difficult today.
  • n0face wrote:
    I got 1

I got the first half of three but fuck it was a difficult round. I got two of the first and second round connections though. Love that show.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    We keep hearing the population is getting older. So is it that big a deal to be serving that?
    The thing is 'future old people' won't necessarily be interested in what the old people of right now are watching, which is why freeview and whatever's currently on it is dying at the same rate as the viewers. Old people in the future will be watching stuff on streaming services, like their younger selves are now, because that's easily the most convenient way to get what they want. Maybe 'static' media will become less dominant relative to games and similar dynamic experiences.
    So this is the last generation interested in arts and sciences then?

I couldn't care less about history and art in my 20s-30s. I lap it up now. History channel doesn't cut the mustard. Being told the same thing 3 or 4 times in 20mins to pad out a lack of content is bloody annoying.

Incidentally there are some superb YT history channels that I really enjoy. Some of those guys could be next gen of presenter if BBC went looking. I suspect many of their spotters use book publishing and academics. They could start looking further.

How the young of today will consume in 20years is anyone's guess but content is still king.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Newsnight right this moment
    IMG-20220117-224358.jpg

Scenes
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    BBC's news coverage of late has been obviously, pathetically partisan shite, but the number of people who are happy to throw it all in the bin because THE FUCKIN TORIES of all people say we should is staggering.

I think the BBC is impartial by default, but I see no end to rightwing news producers setting narratives, some of whom probably don't even realise they are. I'm sure plenty see themselves as conscientious compromisers or whatever.

Remember GE10 when Channel 4 did alternative coverage with Brooker, Mitchell, Carr and Laverne, essentially billed as leftwing? Aimed at younger viewers, it said on the tin. But in retrospect it was incredibly centrist (and if memory serves Clegg-supporting) chaff.

I shat on the BBC's drama output but I'm gonna mention Worzel Gummidge, a comedy exception, because it stands out as the most openly leftwing thing I've seen from them in maybe a decade. A bit on the nose at times, and absolute bait for the Thunberg dads, but it's the only recent example of leftwing bias I can recall.

Versus Question Time; This Week; Newsnight; HIGNFY... COMMIE HAT NEVA4GET

So yeah, the BBC could be great (we all love Bristol's nature docos), but how to untangle decades of systemic elitism within their production hierarchy? I've a relative who produced local news and I saw the circles he moved in as part of the job. You can still be a nice person, but it's a career that comes with clear expectations from you.

The best we can hope for is the odd left-leaning presenter slipping in occasional bias. A bunch of our local presenters are Tory voters, and one even ran for them once. It's like that old Corbyn argument of faking it to win power and then unleashing the full business.

[edit]

In other words, most of us agree with you in principle, but a lot of us feel their execution sucks, and how can we fix it? I don't see how transferring the fee to a tax isn't government-controlled to an extent?

Seems like a voluntary fee's the most intrinsically neutral of all. But with the stupidity of our populace in mind, a knows-bettering-them feels warranted. In wishing they were better-informed and just flatout less bigoted, that's hard to argue against. I get it.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    When does his isolation end? He was out jogging this morning.

I saw that, and apparantly if you're negative on LFT's go fucking nuts, which doesn't seem like isolation at all.
  • He might have put some trackies on as well.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    The Beeb does a million things apart from just make TV shows. For one thing it provides routes into the creative industries for tens of thousands of people. Talk to anybody in the film, TV or radio industries in the UK and I’ll bet more than 90% got their start at the BBC.
    Maybe radio. Doubt the other two.

When I saw them offering apprenticeships to disabled people a few years ago, the roles involved relocation to Birmingham or London IIRC.

They do have schemes, but you have to be young to be willing to go through the whole flatshare relocation thing. Asking disabled people to do that shows terrible understanding of many of their situs.

If you're good with a camera you can try getting into the NHU as a freelancer, but that's ultracompetitive.

Goldman started advertising their autistic employees about a dozen years back: https://www.goldmansachs.com/careers/blog/posts/dane-holmes-embracing-neurodiversity.html

If you've already the qualifications for an internship, I think it's open to debate how helpful they are. Would you have got a similar job elsewhere anyway... Not saying they're without merit, just wondering about the conversion ratio. Goldman's PR utilisation leaves a bad taste with me.

What you can say for the BBC is that they have tons of roles in lots of different areas. They are a strong employer. Actually applying for a job with them seems like a fine idea.

Replying to Brooks and Gurt, I find online tutorials so much more useful than anything on TV. The Repair Shop's a great example of something that should be right up my street, but it's still rooted in the human-interest format of yore, with too little time given to the processes involved.

I thinking in terms of what younger generations than most of us here are watching, I don't know the figures but I have a strong suspicion that most people under maybe 25 couldn't give less of a shit about ITV, or most of the other channels tbh. Youtube, Netflix, Twitch, and other streaming services are just too strong and offer exactly what they want.

About that Gummidge redux...

As a child of the '80s, me and my working-class mates grew up feeling unrepresented by child actors on TV. By our standards, they were always incredibly posh. So I can imagine how much worse that felt for kids of colour.

Had Gummidge cast white kids it would've been racist, and that sounds odd at first. Seems a very superficial thing. But in an otherwise all-white cast (not counting the scarecrows!), having white kids would've Blytoned the Timmy out of it.

(Gonna mention watching Blue Remembered Hills as a young 'un with my dad, and wondering why the characters were all mentally handicapped...)

Because it's such an idealised version of the countryside, there's no way to avoid appealing to racist viewers with white kids. If any talented ones auditioned, I hope they get other stuff instead. But I love seeing Susan and John running around our fields and lanes.

The Darling Buds of May's new Charlie's upset people, with the usual cries of tokenism, forgetting that Charlie was always an outsider, and both versions are perfectly in keeping with that.

It's back-to-front that these little progressive moves are happening in programmes mostly watched by older viewers, having lost so many younger ones through tardiness in delivering inclusion. I'd think it a shame if I felt the BBC deserved their patronage more often.

Pride and Pred could do one in '95, never mind Downton!

poprock wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    It's true Only Connect Victoria Coren is loved the world over, I'm sure.

She's less offensive than her paedo brother.

davyK wrote:
    Incidentally there are some superb YT history channels that I really enjoy. Some of those guys could be next gen of presenter if BBC went looking.

The trouble is that they get used to a freer platform, and it's not like there's no money in it any more. If I were doing summat on the tubes and had an offer from BBC/ITV, I'd ask how much control I'd have. Were they interested in my content, or just after my name.

There are lots of talented people online, though, you're right. Many of whom could do cool things with bigger budgets. But if the BBC were a gamedev, I feel it's Molyneux.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The government just had huge chunks of its anti-protest bill shot down by the Lords. Because they decided to add them to the bill after the parliamentary debate in order to try and avoid scrutiny, they may not be able to reintroduce them.

Win!
  • Yossarian wrote:
    The government just had huge chunks of its anti-protest bill shot down by the Lords. Because they decided to add them to the bill after the parliamentary debate in order to try and avoid scrutiny, they may not be able to reintroduce them.

Win!

Yea I read that, brilliant news
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Yossarian wrote:

Win!

Fantastic. It comes to something when we're relying on the Lords to sort these fucks out.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    To be fair to the Lords, they do often do the right thing.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep a message needs to be sent to that fascist Patel. Though I’m sure they’ll try and sneak something in with the inevitable back and forth now. But a result is a result.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There are parts of this that can’t be reintroduced due to how the government introduced them in the first place.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Which bits out of interest.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    To be fair to the Lords, they do often do the right thing.

Who's who of shits, mind.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Which bits out of interest.

A couple are referenced in this thread:

https://twitter.com/LordStras/status/1483163036017905670
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Cheers it’s still not clear tbh. From my reading of it, it’s anything that was snuck in at the 11th hour? He seems to imply the dodgy stop and search amendment and the noise amendments have been sunk.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yeah, it’s not exactly itemised. I’m sure that more detailed explainers will be published before the day is out.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Raab showing all of the intellect that he’s famous for by saying, on national TV, that having a beer in a work setting, the exact thing that the Tories have been claiming Starmer should apologise for, is not against the rules.

https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1483382856143486980

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!