The British Politics Thread
  • Its incompetent in itself.
    Incompetception.

(feels like those words should mesh together better than they do)
  • Edwin Poots has resigned after 20 days as leader.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Not unexpected. He completely fucked up in the first place by ousting Snarlene.

Once she was gone as 1st minister the parties have to elect all the minister places again to get the assembly running. So Sinn Fein said they won't nominate a deputy 1st minister unless the long promised Irish Lang legislation was scheduled to be agreed.

Ousting Snarlene opened that opportunity up. SF went to Westminster via the secretary of state and they will put the legislation in place in October unless our assembly do it before then.

Sec of State should just call an election. Good chance the DUP will be fucked then and there may be a chance for moderate unionists to be heard.  Stupid creationist big eared cunt.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • So, I wrote for God is a Geek which is a great site with some talented people writing for it.
    But, it was founded by some conservative tosspot called Calvin Robinson.
    Now…I wrote an article for Vice Gaming about why a female Link would make sense. Later encouraged by the editor of GIAG and Calvin I also wrote about why it was bad that a Call of Duty game wouodn’t allow you to create a white protagonist.

Calvin, now is seemingly on a right wing grift train. He’s stirring up shite about how black people really aren’t under privileged, as well as casual homophobia, transphobia, anti-vax rhetoric and also going on record to applaud Israel bombing of Gaza.
    He also has a regular stint on GB News now as well.

I should state that he has now distanced himself from God is a Geek and in the most stringent sense he is the founder,but has no control of the site’s finances or content.

But, he is a fucking arsehole.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • davyK wrote:
    Not unexpected. He completely fucked up in the first place by ousting Snarlene.

Once she was gone as 1st minister the parties have to elect all the minister places again to get the assembly running. So Sinn Fein said they won't nominate a deputy 1st minister unless the long promised Irish Lang legislation was scheduled to be agreed.

Ousting Snarlene opened that opportunity up. SF went to Westminster via the secretary of state and they will put the legislation in place in October unless our assembly do it before then.

Sec of State should just call an election. Good chance the DUP will be fucked then and there may be a chance for moderate unionists to be heard.  Stupid creationist big eared cunt.

What's the deal with the Irish language legislation? Why is it a point of contention?

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hard line unionists being what the they are.

Even moderates like myself are wary of legislation being abused because SF weaponised the language during the Troubles.  

Gerry Adams used to speak Irish issuing statements, often following some sort of killing/bombing/shooting. At least that how is how I remember it. I associate the language with killing and death and people who wanted to kill me.

That's a pity and something I have to live with.  That's my failing really. The reality is that it is becoming very popular in unionist areas - local courses are over subscribed. And I think that is a great thing.

The teaching of Irish comes from a protestant Presbyterian tradition in NI. Sadly it was hi-jacked by militant nationalists during the Troubles and was misused.

However I just don't trust SF with it as I believe they will try and push it into every aspect of life no matter how impractical. I'd rather it was introduced via education instead of creating a translation cottage industry.  Cue rows about contentious issues such as Irish street signs which may end up being used to split communities even more.

It will also prompt the reactionary Ulster Scots language movement who will be looking parity which will only inflate any nonsensical translation service costs.

But anyhow....that's me - a fifty five year old moderate economic unionist tainted by experiences in formative years. :(

Anyhow - the DUP vote block would be far less moderate than I and it would be political suicide to see any legislation coming in, esp with the NI protocol causing anger at the minute.

I think legislation should be in place, and I think most moderates are the same. I'd just be wary of what it would entail.
  • What a mess the DUP have caused for our entire nation

Meanwhile extraordinary result in Chesham Amersham by-election. Obviously the Tory defeat is huge but 622 votes for Labour. Late corbo pique and starmer nothingness are reducing Labour relevance to zero
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I could honestly weep for this place. We keep voting clowns like the DUP in over and over again.
  • Cheers Davy, that's the context I was missing in all this.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Language is fundamental to creating an identity. Cataluña and the Basque Country have both pushed hard to have their languages in as many places as possible. It helps create we are us, we are not you. That, together with Ireland's history, makes it understandable that we all speak English, and that Republicans are keen to get Irish into as many official places in the North as possible.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Frosty wrote:
    Cheers Davy, that's the context I was missing in all this.

My take on it of course which will be skewed. I think it's a real pity that it has become so politicised. Sadly it invokes an emotional response from some of us which makes it very difficult to deal with.  I have no problem with it becoming part of life and having it flourish culturally. I'd be up for it being taught in all schools - our education system is at the root of many of our problems here as we have separate schools along religious boundaries.

Irish needs to be handled carefully and I don't think that will be done. It will be just another thing that divides.  :(
  • John Bercow has joined Labour.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    He's not actually an MP at the moment is he?
  • Some might say he’s just making it official now!
  • This happens in Ireland as well and it kinda annoys me. I get bercow wanting to leave the tory party, but how does that equate to taking on labours ideals when he has previously believed in Conservative policies and what does it say about labour's own ideals that they feel a Conservative is a good fit for them when this happens (not saying they have endorsed the change)

It's a minor gripe but it kinda shows the idea of a party having strict ideals to be more of "it depends".
    SFV - reddave360
  • Bi-partisan irrelevance in a deep state world.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Bi-partisan irrelevance in a deep state world.

Sung to the tune of free love on the freelove freeway.
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    This happens in Ireland as well and it kinda annoys me. I get bercow wanting to leave the tory party, but how does that equate to taking on labours ideals when he has previously believed in Conservative policies and what does it say about labour's own ideals that they feel a Conservative is a good fit for them when this happens (not saying they have endorsed the change) It's a minor gripe but it kinda shows the idea of a party having strict ideals to be more of "it depends".

They have endorsed it, or his membership would have been rejected. Like they did with people who once posted that they liked Caroline Lucas, or the Foo Fighters.
  • Britain is a cringey fascist State example number 3287549
    https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1407385635762081809?s=19
  • Sasukekun wrote:
    Britain is a cringey fascist State example number 3287549 https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1407385635762081809?s=19
    Thats a piss take, yeah?
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sadly not. It’s worth saying that it’s not a government initiative originally, it’s a campaign by some bloke that the government have got behind, which makes it marginally less embarrassing for us as a country.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Sadly not. It’s worth saying that it’s not a government initiative originally, it’s a campaign by some bloke that the government have got behind, which makes it marginally less embarrassing for us as a Na-a-ation.

Fixed
  • This is just pathetic.
    Been really enjoying James O Brien on LBC radio this morning, he really ripped the piss out of it
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • See I thought the thing with fascism is that it's supposed to be like, striking and libidinally attractive.

I'm not fussed about summat that looks and sounds like a fucking Wonder Showzen bit, let's calm down.
  • They should have got Laibach to do it
  • Regarding national anthems generally I quite like the use of Jerusalem for England, as it strongly implies the country is a work in progress with a shitload to live up to.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm not going to Godwin myself so I will just let everyone know.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    so tolerance, kindness , respect and pride.  1 out of 4 then.

We are catching up with Orwell's 1984 rather well.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    They should have got Laibach to do it

I endorse this.

But Laibach are, as usual, ahead of the curve.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!