Festivals!
‹ Previous12345678
  • Going to my first festival this year, Isle of Wight. I'm assuming there are seasoned festivalers among us, do you have any tips and/or advice? I'm trying to find some short-ish shorts with zip pockets but they all seem to be past-the-knee ones. Also I'm investing in an on-site locker to store my car keys in.
  • Take a pop up tent and as little stuff as possible. Drink all the beer, take all the drugs and leave tent etc behind when you leave.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Drop acid about 30 minutes before you arrive and every 6 hours thereafter until you leave.
  • Don't break your collarbone.
  • Baby wipes
    PSN - minkymu
  • Visit the pirate bit at Blackgang Chine.
  • Buy wellies now, not a week before the festival.
    Eat the bare minimum you can because you don't want to use the loos after day one.
    Get there early so you can get a spot for your tent away from the main walk ways.
    Take wet wipes to clean armpits/groin.
    Don't use the showers, being properly clean just means you can smell everyone else.
    If they don't allow alcohol in the main arena mix it before you go in and keep it looking like soft drink, for example JD and Coke in a Coke bottle.
  • I'm going to Outlook in Croatia in September. Got an apartment booked 20 minutes from the venue. I'm done with camping now, too old for that shit.
  • Take nothing glass.

Take nothing you wouldn't be happy to lose.

Take zip lock bags.

Sleep well before you go.

Take at least one day off work the week after the festival.

DON'T TAKE A TENT YOU'VE NEVER PUT UP BEFORE.
  • Pitch your tent with the door facing down hill.
    If it rains really heavily and your tent is facing up hill it will fill with water.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Drop acid about 30 minutes before you arrive and every 6 hours thereafter until you leave.

Never did me any harm.

*Ducks under table to avoid bats*
  • I agree with taking a small tent but don't leave it there. It adds to the clean up costs/time and is unenvironmental. Many festivals now have donation points where you can donate your unwanted equipment to charity. So don't be a lazy twat ;)

I used to take food to save on costs but if you can just buy food in the arena, too much food is a ball ache to carry when you get there.

Drink loads of water so you don't get dehydrated (I take a bottle to refill in the arena), take sun screen so you don't burn. Baby wipes and deodorant so you're not a total crusty.

Forget using your phone, or just take spare batteries if you really must use it. The recharge points are an expensive waste of time and money.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    DO NOT MAKE SANDWICHES BEFORE YOU GO because you'll be sick of them. Take an extra £50-60 of possible to at least get some decent grub over the weekend. Last time I was at the urine riddled pit of shite that is T in the Park, the lone highlight was getting, I shit you not, some Loch Fyne Oysters.

Fuck festivals. If you go you're either a wreckhead or a dad trying to recapture lost youth.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I'm no longer the former but am the latter. Apart from the recapturing part. Fuck going to a festival these days. I like sleep.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I have only ever been the former and now I'd rather go to a good gig and sink some beers and go to my own bed.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Oh or a "muso." Went to reading with a guy who had planned a, to the minute, trip around the stages to see his "best bands". Even getting into "well, if we leave here 5 minutes early we'll get to this place to catch the last half of these guys and it'll be okay because they'll have played X anyway." He was insufferable and I am not friends with him anymore.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Guess you could say he was a wreckhead of choons oho
  • Even Poetishead isn't a big enough draw to make go to Lattitude this year. I'd do a day, tops now.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    They coulda done a mean poetry slam
  • Try to relax and have fun. That's my tip. If it's a big festival and there's an artist you really want to see on a main stage then you'll have to get there early. I got to the main stage at Coachella 5 hours before Radiohead were on to make sure I was at the front. I probably didn't need to wait that long but it was worth it. Plus The Shins and Bon Iver were playing before them so that helped.

If you're going with a group and are camping try to get a large chunk for all your tents with a space in the middle to sit and relax, it's great to have somewhere you can go to chill between bands. Depending on what you can and can't take in, take heaps of water, snacks that don't melt (is it warm over there at the moment?) and esky full of ice, boooooze to last, and cash. Like others have said take clothes you don't mind getting dirty/losing, especially shoes.
  • Taking your own toilet paper can be a good idea too.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Genuine advice from Shabby and I'd emphasise - this is not a place for fashion.
  • BBC emailed me yesterday to confirm me for TitP this summer. I couldn't email them back quick enough to decline their offer.

fuck festivals

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I love festivals :D Worst thing in the world is being ill at a festival though, there was one a few years ago I still don't remember huge chunks from because I was so ill and out of it.
  • Shoes that are comfortable as you may be standing/walking a lot.

I went to a metal featival in Germany last year. You camped next to your car and were all neatly directed into rows so you had plenty of space. German efficiency at its finest.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Shoes that are comfortable as you may be standing/walking a lot. I went to a metal featival in Germany last year. You camped next to your car and were all neatly directed into rows so you had plenty of space. German efficiency at its finest.

That sounds brillo
  • It was! And the quality of the food was far better than what I have previously had before.

They also had two main stages. One band played on one whilst the next band was set up on the other. As a result, there was only a ten minute wait between bands.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Glasto 2007.

Ac8DAGU.jpg

My Wellies rubbed the skin off the back of my legs. I didn't notice until day 4.

Fun.

• Festivals are shit, save the cash and dont go 'melder.

Maybe they were good once, they all seem like corporate or hipster douchebag hell these days.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
‹ Previous12345678

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!