DCS A10C Warthog (aka, metagonzo sent me!)
‹ Previous12
  • Hello!

One of my bestest mates (metagonzo) said I should come and say hello. So. Hello! I'm a 35 year old gamer who should know better.

Things im playing:

DCS A10C Warthog
    Dead Space (soon to be followed by Dead Space 2)
    The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition

Would like to get back into: Minecraft

I love my games, but I do confess to being a simulator fanatic. The more attention to detail the better for me.

Anyway, I'll will be lurking around here and posting a valuable point here and there. :)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Goddamn spam.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Welcome aboard. The lifeboats are over there. We don't have enough for everyone so if you hear a klaxon start punching the old and weak. Start with G.Man, then Kow, and work backwards from there.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Welcome aboard, Rossi.
  • Thanks chaps!
  • On the maroonum we would have killed and ate him by now.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    They're joking of course, there are no lifeboats.  There is an immensely fat bloke with a big hat though, so I'd tether yourself to him if we start listing.

What?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • A lookatmeee thread isn't the most winning start, but hullo.
  • Brooks wrote:
    A lookatmeee thread isn't the most winning start, but hullo.

Thought it was more of an introduction but hey ho. Don't look.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I notice Mod conveniently stopped at only 2 on his list of old and weak...
  • Ok now go to the forumite indexing thread and start putting your details on there. Yoss will then add you to the catalogue for the pending harvest. You could try chucking invites out but I reckon we're all up to our eyeballs due to MS refusing to raise the cap any further, the dicks. I have about 3 more people I know from real life that I can remove to make room and then it will be wall to wall edgedick.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    rossi wrote:
    Brooks wrote:
    A lookatmeee thread isn't the most winning start, but hullo.
    Thought it was more of an introduction but hey ho. Don't look.
    He perhaps means that you might have used the stickied Welcome thread, but I don't pretend to know the mind of Brooks.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Sorry, I didn't realise.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    What ho Rossi; most excellent to see you here. 

MineCraft eh?... splendid.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    It's fine, some initial hazing is par for the course. Especially for breaking norms you didn't know existed. Take it with good grace and give as good as you get and everything will be gravy.
  • Hi mate.

I've added my details to the forumite hivemind database.

If you feel this thread is unnecessary, please feel free to delete.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    No sense in wasting thread real estate. This is now a DCS A10C Warthog thread.

Any good?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    rossi wrote:
    Sorry, I didn't realise.
    Apologies, here?  Apologize immediately for that apology.
  • An infinite loop of appologies? I think that could break the forum.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    No sense in wasting thread real estate. This is now a DCS A10C Warthog thread.

Any good?

Oh excellent. I can talk for hours about that game!

Any fliers in here?

• Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Elmlea has been known to.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    No sense in wasting thread real estate. This is now a DCS A10C Warthog thread. Any good?

Well Rossi's the man for running that thread, believe me.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • rossi wrote:
    Hi mate. I've added my details to the forumite hivemind database. If you feel this thread is unnecessary, please feel free to delete.
    welcome aboard though mate, have fun, can't wait to get to know you more.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I don't know if anyone has ever played it, but let me elaborate on what it is...

It's a flight simulator by the guys at Eagle Dynamics, a moscow based company that produced flight sims such as Flanker, Flanker 2 and Lock On:Modern Air Combat. Those titles were published by Ubisoft, but over the last five years or so, Eagle Dynamics have gone it alone and produced 'study sims' for the military market (afaik). An off shoot of that is a retail version that has been somewhat declassified, but still maintains every aspect of the simulation with the 'sensitive' parts taken out.

So far they have produced two digitial combat simulators, KA-50 Black Shark and A10C Warthog. They are extremely detailed. The game doesn't alienate new comers as there are good vocal tutorials and the community over at the Eagle Dynamics forums are amazing.

Playing A10C multiplayer with players who know what they are doing is a joy. You really could be that fighter jock over Afghanistan or other combat area.

I've been a plane geek since I was small, so having a sim this accurate is really great.

I made a Youtube video for the ED community, to help others with AGM-65D weapon usage:

I use TrackIR 5 in this video, which allows me to move my head Up/Down/Left/Right/Forward/Backward around the cockpit, which allows me to read the instruments easier and generally get a better situational awareness.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    rossi wrote:
    Oh excellent. I can talk for hours about that game! Any fliers in here?

Last flight sim I played was Jane's F-16 sim what must be 10-12 years ago. And now i'm reading Jane's apparently don't do sims anymore. Times have changed.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    rossi wrote:
    Oh excellent. I can talk for hours about that game! Any fliers in here?

Last flight sim I played was Jane's F-16 sim what must be 10-12 years ago. And now i'm reading Jane's apparently don't do sims anymore. Times have changed.

They released some rubbish arcade sim a while ago.

• Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I wonder if Elm plays flight sims.
  • Fuuuuuck, that's hardcore O_o. Hey Rossi *waves*

Saw a Giantbomb Quick Look on that once. They couldn't get the plane started, let alone off the ground. Blew a wing off it on the runway which was mildly amusing.
  • I did see that, its was extremely funny!
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Colour me interested. So the multiplayer is someone as your co-pilot? I guess Warthogs arn't really dogfighters.
  • In multiplayer another player could be your wingman. Warthogs are classed a CAS (Close Air Support) platforms. They provide cover for ground troops and assets. They have very limited air to air capability and carry a token defense against enemy fighters. In reality A10s would not normally operate in areas where there is a viable air to air threat. Fast movers such as F16s/F18s can deal with those.

Warthogs can provide PGM (Precision Guided Munitions) delivery and attack targets given by JTAC (Joint Terminal Attack Controller) and AFAC (Airbourne Forward Attack Controller) units. If there is any game that requires co-op play to the highest degree, its this one.

Theres a lot to learn, and the learning curve is fairly steep if you've not done this before but it's extremely rewarding. Also, although its possible to fly using a regular joystick, the amount of commands and controls you need quick access to really mean a HOTAS (hands on throttle and stick) setup really helps, but its not impossible without it, just a bit awkward.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!