Nintendo Switch
  • PS5 and Series X are new ;)
    Aye, but you can't buy them in shops, and they have no games. ;)
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • i don't really see why everyone is holding out for a Pro?  If you want games in 4K 60-120fps, get a PS5/Series X?

The current Switch is great as it is and no matter what, the Pro still wont come close to the other consoles out already.

I’m not after Pro for 4K / 60. I’ll just be getting it so that Switch games can finally run (hopefully) at a moderately stable 30 at non smudge resolutions.

I’m playing a fair amount of my switch at the mo, but I’m not fan of it as a piece of hardware. For those less bothered by performance, though, and that want games on the go - that’s great. For me? A hardware refresh would go a long way.
  • PS5 and Series X are new ;)

Got me a PS5 already. Doesn’t stop me wanting a better Switch.
  • g.man wrote:
    PS5 and Series X are new ;)
    Aye, but you can't buy them in shops, and they have no games. ;)
    This will probably end up being true of a Switch Pro as well.
  • There are absolutely people out there that want a Switch Pro but there is a fuck load who are happy to buy the current model(s).
    30 million sales last year, sure there is a Covid factor in that but it is an insane number.

People are lapping up the games as well.

If Nintendo introduce a Switch Pro they undermine a product selling gang busters with a product that they probably won't be able to make enough of. It would be a very poor business decision.

I will go for a maybe to release alongside BotW2 which will almost certainly end up being March 2023 after a short delay. There is nothing else coming out in between that would launch with it.
  • Yup. I seem to remember the GB Color being delayed by about 4 years for the same reason.
  • Or was it the GBA because the GB Color was doing so well?

Sorry. Old.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Switch looks like ass on a 4K TV and often in portable mode because it can't hit its 1080p/720p native resolution a lot of the time, has no ability to upscale or reconstruct the image to 4K and has no HDR. If they do a hardware refresh, it's likely because they intend to support for Switch for years to come so updating it to be able to address the latest TV standard is a sensible thing to do and reasonable for their audience to expect.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • They don't need to release a new switch for another year at least. Most people that buy them couldn't give the slightest fuck about 4K/HDR or even 1080p. They just want a nice handheld to play Nintendo games on. Same as it's ever been.
  • Switch Pro exclusive games will be the issue
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    As long as the Switch sells, Nintendo will wring every last penny out of it. That's their way. They are very good at making money.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    They don't need to release a new switch for another year at least. Most people that buy them couldn't give the slightest fuck about 4K/HDR or even 1080p. They just want a nice handheld to play Nintendo games on. Same as it's ever been.

They can buy the Switch Lite for that.

I think it's kinda easy to point to Nintendo's historical blue ocean strategy and 'Ooh, I think it's a bad idea to do a Switch Pro, no-one wants it except hardcore gamers' - prioritising the blue ocean to the exclusion of the core gamer audience resulted in the Wii cratering after the fad died down and a bad generation for Nintendo afterwards as they had alienated their core audience.

Adding a Pro model to the other two SKUs keeps the plate spanning for that hardcore audience segment and it fits into a different price/quality segment of the market anyway.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    Switch Pro exclusive games will be the issue

Not if you have a Pro
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    None of the rumours suggest the Pro is gonna be a massive Switch 2 type leap, just a bit of a bump - so I guess that raises the question of what exactly would scale to it that wouldn't scale to the basic Switch. It's probably not going be able to handle game design based around the fancy I/O of the PS5/Series X - so would there be any value in having exclusive titles? As long as the framerate wasn't a pisstake you could probably get away with porting a game that looks vaseline-smeared on the basic Switch and just about OK on Switch Pro.
  • I have PS5 and Series X

For me it's more the fact I rarely get the big TV.

So I get more time on Switch. I bought the young fella a lite cos he likes to play handheld mostly but he always now seems to use mine. As such the Lite is wasted. If I bought another one full fat one I could have two docks in action and each switch could dock on either telly. So it offers me more flexibilty.

It just seems silly to buy a new one now IF a pro is coming shortly.
    The Forum Herald™
  • You can come in here later to mock my ludicrous prognostications based on nothing other than my reckons, but I don’t think we’ll see a switch pro this year, probably not until Q4 2022
  • I also think the lag between announcement and launch will be minimal - a few months at most - because it’s going to be an incremental improvement (faster better graphics but nothing amazing) and they won’t want to cannibalise switch 1.0 sales too much
  • 20 years since the GBA!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There is no way Nintendo will segment their user base. They probably saw games sales for 4MB only N64 games like DK64 and Perfect Dark take a hit - that lesson will have been learned. Nintendo are good at baking learning into future strategy. They have gradually moved to a single hardware platform and it would be madness to start and make that diverse again.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    There is no way Nintendo will segment their user base. They probably saw games sales for 4MB only N64 games like DK64 and Perfect Dark take a hit - that lesson will have been learned. Nintendo are good at baking learning into future strategy. They have gradually moved to a single hardware platform and it would be madness to start and make that diverse again.

They produced exclusive software for the Nintendo DSi and New Nintendo 3DS hardware revisions, which is what all the exclusive game speculation stems from. They could definitely decide to not bother this time but they have a really strong track record for it despite it never seeming to work out.
  • thing is nintendo can afford to release exclusive games for the new platform as a bit of a sales driver for the hardware, even if it doesn't work out for that particular game.
    they're just very unlikely to do it with a mainline mario/zelda type game.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • This is all inevitable though right, doesn't matter if its a Switch Pro or a Switch 2, there'll be an upgrade with exclusive content eventually.

What matters to me is full b/c with improved performance for older software. Nintendo need to build some sort of ecosystem to give their customers an incentive to stick around and build on.

Sony and MS are miles ahead in this department.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I don't expect improved performance for older software (much as it would be nice) but b/c is essential for me when the successor to the standard Switch arrives. I reckon I've bought twice as many EShop Switch games, at least, compared to any other system I've owned. The vast majority of them run perfectly well as they are, given that retro inspired indies are my jam, but if a full fat Switch 2 arrives without the ability to play Switch digital titles, for free, I will rage.

Times have changed but I still fear the 'fuck you' approach from Nintendo.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Not sure why people are particularly paranoid about Nintendo in this regard - they aren't any worse than Sony - BC if they can fit it in the hardware, no BC when they can't.
  • This is all inevitable though right, doesn't matter if its a Switch Pro or a Switch 2, there'll be an upgrade with exclusive content eventually.

What matters to me is full b/c with improved performance for older software. Nintendo need to build some sort of ecosystem to give their customers an incentive to stick around and build on.

Not necessarily. They could go full
    On new console and just come up with a new ups.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    This is all inevitable though right, doesn't matter if its a Switch Pro or a Switch 2, there'll be an upgrade with exclusive content eventually.

Not necessarily. They could go full
    On new console and just come up with a new ups.

Literally my worst case scenario, and from a selfish POV I just want them to stick to the model in the same way Sony has with PlayStation.

It might be the boring option, but I likes what I like.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Also when they've done that in the past its been in a make or break fashion. They're not currently in that position with the Switch.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • It being Nintendo they could just as easily decide the success of the Switch means they should make a console that is operated solely by your chin and call it the Switch-in, because everyone is included.
  • i don't really see why everyone is holding out for a Pro?  If you want games in 4K 60-120fps, get a PS5/Series X?

The current Switch is great as it is and no matter what, the Pro still wont come close to the other consoles out already.

I’m not after Pro for 4K / 60. I’ll just be getting it so that Switch games can finally run (hopefully) at a moderately stable 30 at non smudge resolutions.

I’m playing a fair amount of my switch at the mo, but I’m not fan of it as a piece of hardware. For those less bothered by performance, though, and that want games on the go - that’s great. For me? A hardware refresh would go a long way.

This.
    All I want is stable 1080/60 and Bluetooth compatibility.

Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • And when you get that, you'll want the next thing :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!