The B&B Writers Thread
  • After a few near misses with some really great publications I've slipped into something of a writing malaise and haven't written or submitted for a long time. Most of the markets I'd submit to are shut at the moment too so... yeah. Also, my One Good Success was, like, 18 months ago now. Bleugh.

Just keep writing.  Forget submissions for now.  Just write for the sake of it, mess around with it, and forget about markets.  Find the pleasure in it again, then see where you are.
    Anyway, that one success - my story 'The Mothgate' - is now available in hard copy alongside far more talented writers than myself, including award winners like Lavie Tidhar and some NYT best selling authors. So that's something. I'll link when the publisher actually announces it proper. 51-MnySDM3L.jpg

Which is a Big Deal, and another damn good reason to keep going at it.  Well done - as with others I shall be grabbing a copy as and when it's out there.
  • (P.S.  Also, I'm aware I'm a big damn hypocrite because I haven't written anything substantial in a long time now.  However, I wrote something short on a whim a couple of months ago, and suddenly found I have the appetite back - though sadly not the time...)
  • Thanks guys. Really quite down atm so nice thoughts are nice. 

Speak soon.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So I've just written a fairly longish piece on Asian cinema - something I haven't really done for nigh on a decade. Guess I should stick it on my blog but I dunno if anyone knows of other Asian cinema sites that may be interested?
  • Not your fault, but gallery spaces are ultimately for fuckhats.
  • Blessed be the fuckhats

Or as the prefer to be called, the Fooqarts
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's something about the use of the word space that makes my skin crawl.

It's a room.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Thanks for your feedback
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sorry chap. Didn't mean that personally. Haven't even read your piece. It's a wrinkle I have about the use of that word in bloody house programmes I'm ranting at.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Haha, sorry - that was a bit glib. No worries. I probably do use it in there, and it's very much an "in industry" term, but them's the breaks.
  • Contributor copies arrived yesterday! Looks super. <3 I do think the cover art is weak compared to some of the others they had that year but hey...

Available here as paperback but on Kindle as well.

CxJB1FkWEAACO85.jpg:large

Also started writing again. Purely for me.
    Spoiler:
  • Good work Tiger, you must be pretty damn pleased with your trials and tribulations as an author so far. Keep writing your wyrd fantasy fiction too, I always read it, even if I forget to mention it here.

I have cobbled together an early draft of a new thing I am working on, called The Wound, because it wouldn't be proper of me to finish anything ever, of course.
    Spoiler:
  • Sorry - Have read, as always. Will give you some thoughts laterz.
  • Good writing all, as ever.  

Tiger - the stuff written just for you, certainly works for me too, for what it's worth.  Meanwhile I've ordered a copy of Shimmer as promised, and looking forward to seeing it in the (papery) flesh.  

Temps - You definitely need to start finishing stuff, because it's a damn good start.  (Even if my inner Beavis did enjoy the "bulging rear end" line for all the wrong reasons...)
  • Cheers Tin. I started writing it and now I obviously have a million assignments that I am simultaneously behind on, but doing a semester on SciFi lit the fire again. I need to go back through flesh it out cos those characters are paper thin at the minute.
  • So, erm, a couple of months ago I was sat waiting for my car to be serviced.  They had just announced that there was a problem, and I was going to be stuck there for quite a while longer than expected.  I checked my email, and saw a message from The Caterpillar - a magazine I had subscribed to for the kids, announcing a story competition.  So whilst waiting for the car I wrote a thing.
    It won.
    All of which makes it even more embarrassing that I haven't written anything else, but as part of the prize is to go on a writer's retreat, maybe I'll finally find some time to address that...
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    That was lovely, you really should do others

Enjoy that break when you get it
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Nice one, tin. I like the style of it.
  • Gratz Mr Roboto, i'll read it later!
  • Thanks all - I am, as you can imagine, really rather pleased...
  • Superb work, Tin! Lovely final line too. Well chosen.

Also, @Tempy, that's a fine start fella. I look forward to the rest.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • I genuinely think that's the best thing I've read this year and I'm a fairly voracious reader. Well done Tin, it's magnificent.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    So, erm, a couple of months ago I was sat waiting for my car to be serviced.  They had just announced that there was a problem, and I was going to be stuck there for quite a while longer than expected.  I checked my email, and saw a message from The Caterpillar - a magazine I had subscribed to for the kids, announcing a story competition.  So whilst waiting for the car I wrote a thing.
    It won.
    All of which makes it even more embarrassing that I haven't written anything else, but as part of the prize is to go on a writer's retreat, maybe I'll finally find some time to address that...

That's brilliant.

Does anyone else find it weird reading back old things they wrote? Some of them feel like reading someone else's work, as I don't remember them at all, others feel like I know every word.
  • That was exceptional. Wouldn't be surprised if it won more awards.

Hugely jealous & inspired in equal measure.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!