Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I'm a network engineer and I'm currently fitting some data sockets. Just pulled a lid off some dado trunking and subsequently received a lovely electric shock, which caused me to throw my screwdriver about 10 metres across the room. I'm not happy.

Seems the cowboy that fitted the power either didn't know what he was doing, or couldn't be arsed. Bare wires galore, I'm not going anywhere near it.

I've noticed quite a bit of shoddy work from various contractors recently, and it really does my head in. What happened to taking pride in your work? 

So, this is a thread to post any experiences of shoddy workmanship, whether at work or by people you've paid to do work in your home.
  • My hot water tank looks like the Pipe Nightmare from the SCP website, or some cyberpunk spider web. The idiot that installed it put it bang in the middle of the cupboard and ran all the pipes straight to it, so I consequently have a big airing cupboard, but no room for shelving, or to put any clothes in there to dry.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    The guy that tiled our bathroom tiled over the panel that I'd specifically made to allow access to our boiler pipes, even though I asked him not too. It looks good, but now the lovely joinery that I spent hours trying to do is pointless. Idiot.

Also, I've since found out that we shouldn't really have a boiler in the bathroom- the boiler engineer neglected to advise us otherwise.

See, it's endless!
  • Actually, I've got a question..my bathroom needs ripping out. Do you tile first from an empty room (obviously after the pipework is in place), or install the suite, then tile?
  • PHONE ROGUE TRADERS NOW!!
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Actually, I've got a question..my bathroom needs ripping out. Do you tile first from an empty room (obviously after the pipework is in place), or install the suite, then tile?

I'm not great at DIY, but I'd say tile first then you can butt the toilet etc up to the tiles, not tile around the toilet.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Actually, I've got a question..my bathroom needs ripping out. Do you tile first from an empty room (obviously after the pipework is in place), or install the suite, then tile?

You could do either really.

I'd probably install the suite then tile to it, that's the more traditional way to do it.

I'd want nice whole tile edges where it meets the fixtures and that would be hard to do without them installed. Plus tiling first then fitting means you'll be without a bog/shower for longer.
  • Actually, I've got a question..my bathroom needs ripping out. Do you tile first from an empty room (obviously after the pipework is in place), or install the suite, then tile?

It depends on the flushness of the finish you require harm13ss. I would tile from just below the level of the bath- then you can guarantee a good seal around the edges. It also means you can reduce the number of tiles that you have to cut as well. My friend spent a day and more money because he insisted on tiling after. he was crap at cutting tiles, spent a fortune buying spare ones and made a mess trying to make sure everything looked straight along the bath. The sealant wasn't great round the bath and so 6 months later he discovered he had damp under the bath which was creating a horrible smell. 
    Tile first.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Or that.

Our suite was new when we moved in so I ended up just pulling the toilet and bath away from the wall while he tiled behind. I meant we could still use it while he was doing the work, albeit very carefully.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Re OP

The guy old that lived here before was obviously something of a electrician and the wires are an utter fucking mess.

He'd added his own tails to the Economy 7 meter and run them through to a socket in the kitchen, ergo that socket only worked at night. Jesus.

First time we put the coal fire on we heard a loud pop as it melted the wire he'd run from the socket on the one side of the hearth to the socket on the other.
  • In this thread we also need to see examples so the cowboys can be suitably credited for their work please.
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I blame Sparkly Paul, they're all as bad as each other.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    He'd added his own tails to the Economy 7 meter and run them through to a socket in the kitchen, ergo that socket only worked at night. Jesus.
    Ahahahaha!

comedy gold

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Ahahahaha!

The worst part was it was a really ancient meter with cogs and stuff. Yet the landlord was insistent that we kept it as the old guy (his father) had apparently been very proud of his little con.

So every time the electric board came round to try and replace it I had to hide behind the sofa. After about the fourth attempt I let them in. They weren't happy.
  • When I moved in to my house the previous owners had removed all of the fancy light sockets they had in the place and fitted them with crap white ones. if you turned the living room light on it switched on the downstairs toilet light. it was the same with the outside light and the hall light for some reason. 

Because i had their forwarding address, I burned their house down and danced naked in the street as the ashes cooled.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I was for a critique of Eastwood and lee van cleef, slightly disappointed.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    It can cater for both if you so desire.
  • Best thread evar!!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Last flat I was in the wall socket melted the first time I plugged a heater in. All the wiring had to come out as the continual smell of burning every time anything was plugged in just got annoying.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    Ahahahaha!

The worst part was it was a really ancient meter with cogs and stuff. Yet the landlord was insistent that we kept it as the old guy (his father) had apparently been very proud of his little con.

So every time the electric board came round to try and replace it I had to hide behind the sofa. After about the fourth attempt I let them in. They weren't happy.

I work for the guys that check readings E.on (glamour) so here is a hearty 'Fuck you' to that guy. Fuck E7 meters, what twat ever thought they were a good idea?
  • whats the problem with them?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Sigh, basically - Stupid setup/database errors run riot industry wide. The mechanical ones aren't so bad as they actually say 'low' and 'normal' on them which is OK. The digital fuckers are a different kettle of fish entirely. They usually have R1, R2 and T (T is total) but the R1 and R2 can be night OR day.

Due to the amount of meters types out there and the randomisation of their initial set ups when they are installed by one of the variety of Meter Operaters (Like LOND, EELC etc) and the issue with the Industry Databse which means that E7 meters are always listed as R1/R2 in that order but can be Day/Night or Night/Day means that something stupid like 60% of all the E7 meters in the country are held on record transposed which then in turn means that we have to call up and explain to customers that they need to take two readings in the day to show an advance so we have undisputable proof that the rate that moves on is the day rate. It's just the sheer lack of co-operation between all parties that has allowed it to happen and it is boring, irritating work.

To make it better, E7 tariffs provide you cheaper energy from 23/2400 - 06/0700 but only work out in your benefit if you use 50% of your energy in that time, what a bag of shit.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    A mate has just bought an old nightclub to turn it into a restaurant. When I was at E.On I remember this site being on our watchlist back then. When looking at the wiring and working out which meters to keep, it was discovered that when the road outside was dug up. The enterprising previous landlord had not only ran a trunk from the streetlamp into the building, but earthed his meter against the same so there was always a trickle so as not to look too bad. Ouch

They also work out in your favour if you manage to transpose the reads for long enough
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • thats some sneaky shit. cocko, i thought you worked for bt?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Dont mention BT, I might weep.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    A mate has just bought an old nightclub to turn it into a restaurant. When I was at E.On I remember this site being on our watchlist back then. When looking at the wiring and working out which meters to keep, it was discovered that when the road outside was dug up. The enterprising previous landlord had not only ran a trunk from the streetlamp into the building, but earthed his meter against the same so there was always a trickle so as not to look too bad. Ouch

They also work out in your favour if you manage to transpose the reads for long enough

Well we don't backbill Residental Customers anymore so you could fudge it for ages if you were aware enough, then you correct before you leave and hey presto you got super cheap electricity for ages.

• When the Scottish Power came to replace the electric meter at my previous place of employment the engineer noted that the big chunky cable carrying the power to the mainboard was not actually screwed in and could simply be pulled out. He then noted that one of the big fuck off main fuses in the fusebox was actually just a 3 inch nail jammed into the space.
  • My debit card details where recently stolen from an Archery websites database and the hackers got everything they needed to take £1784 in 10 days via wonga.com from my bank account.
    Apparently 12 transactions totaling £782 in one day is not suspicious to wonga. So they and the archery site are both fucking cowboys.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Oooh, bad luck mate. I've had the debit card details for the card I book all my travel stuff for work robbed twice in about the last year. Both times it's been flagged up by the bank instantly and I've consequently never lost any money. I make sure there's never more than about a £300 float in the account though, just in case.

regards

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Thanks g.
    I got the money back after 3 days of phone calls to wonga the police and my bank.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!