BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    Aww. I actually thought it might.

Odds on it runs Quake II like a fuckin' boss.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Windows 10 has decided after a few months of being a cunt on a friend's PC, to stop recognising the USB host controllers. It's an old Asus Win7 machine that's been updated to 10, and they don't list compatible drivers. Intel Driver Utility has no luck - any ideas?

Quoted because this is actually important.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I sorted it - automatic update failed, downloading failed, compatibility mode failed... 

selecting generic USB controller driver from "select your own driver" worked

Computers, go figure
  • That seems to be a fix for a number of controllers e.g. g27 steering wheel.

Ultimate solution is to upgrade to Win 7 he he ;-)
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Ah, a page turn, never mind.
  • I waded through about 100 things on google that professed to help, and none of them did. It was infuriating.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I waded through about 100 things on google that professed to help, and none of them did. It was infuriating.

wisdom_of_the_ancients.png
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Kaneda!

It's even worse when a bunch of jokers ask for further info that leads nowhere. Post your HijackThis and I'll tell you in a condescending, spekking-mistake-laden manner that it all looks fine, and then insinuate your ineptitude as the Olyphant in the room.

DunningKrugerThat.
  • I appear to have bought myself a tablet with Windows 10. I haven't started it up yet. When I do, am I going to have to install some sort of virus protection and, if so, is AVG still the free product of choice?
  • Depends if you're going to do anything that's likely to infect you with a virus. I haven't used one in something like a decade.
  • Yeah, the baked in one works fine. I've been using it since 8.1 and not had a problem.
    SFV - reddave360
  • There's one built in now?
  • Windows defender.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Oh, yeah. Internet says that added that to in in Win8. Hadn't realised.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I'm with AJ in that I'm no fan of antivirus

I would recommend that yuo keep a system disk as small as small as possible then have a library/archive/stuff I actually want disk

Save all installers onto that disk and keep it neat and tidy, that way should the worst happen, just format, reinstall OS, and grab all your programs, pictures, films and games from the archive disk

This can even be on the same disk with a little partitioning
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • A MILLION THUMBS DOWN FOR FREE VERSION OF AVAST. 

The shit just sits there hogging some resource watching what you do, so you open up your browser, the little fecker dumps a pop up on you saying about fucking people can see what you are doing online. You enter a fucking password and the little bastard has the cheek to do another pop up telling you about password theft and keeping your passwords secure with some program if you upgrade to premium. 

Oh and it regularly caned my old HDD on startup while it downloaded new virus definitions. 

Windows Defender is fine as long you aren't into any dodgy shit.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Just a point if you do go for another antivirus, disable the windows defender or you'll get a bit of conflict. But as Roujin says, provided you arent torrenting like crazy and hitting ropey sites, you should be fine with defender.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Avast is not that bad Rouj . Activate silent mode and auto updates and pop ups are gone.
    But yeah, defender is suffice for most people.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I didn't go for any other antivirus, just stuck with defender. I'm not going to be using it for email, or storing personal files, so if it ever gets crippled, I can just wipe the slate clean.

Currently having a significant issue with the game controller I got with the tablet. It's reading the B button as A, and the A button as B. And, when I ran Geometry Wars, it wouldn't read the right stick at all.

I'll need to tinker with it next week. It'd be nice if the things that came in a box together just worked together straight out of said box. <sigh>
  • Andy wrote:
    I didn't go for any other antivirus, just stuck with defender. I'm not going to be using it for email, or storing personal files, so if it ever gets crippled, I can just wipe the slate clean. Currently having a significant issue with the game controller I got with the tablet. It's reading the B button as A, and the A button as B. And, when I ran Geometry Wars, it wouldn't read the right stick at all. I'll need to tinker with it next week. It'd be nice if the things that came in a box together just worked together straight out of said box.
    That used to be how consoles worked :)
    SFV - reddave360
  • Andy does your tablet have a USB port on it? If so you can just jam a wired 360 pad in it if you have one knocking about and you're good to go.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • It's got a micro USB port. Given that the box advertises the fact that it can be used with its attached controller to stream Xbox One, you'd a thunk it would've worked without much fucking about.
  • That sucks. I guess you could buy a usb to micro USB adaptor if it keeps giving you hassle, probably a couple of quid.
  • https://www.amazon.com/Micro-USB-Male-Female-Adapter/dp/B0027YYMU6

LIke the above? Seems a cheap enough fix, although I'd hate that hanging off my tablet connecting a joypad.I've always found tablets have flimsy micro usb ports.
    SFV - reddave360
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    That one might not work I'm afraid, you need a USB OTG adaptor, the otg means on the go, and it allows the phone/tablet whatever to be the host device as normally it's the slave. You get one in the box with most Sony phones or can pick up on Amazon for a couple of quid
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    ZSO4uVW.jpg
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I'm not sure that I like the Windows 10 approach to system updates. When I logged in last night I was informed that an update needed to be installed and I could either restart immediately to do so, else the system would restart at a specific time. Not knowing how long the update might take I decided to crack on with what I wanted to do (including playing the Spelunky Daily Challenge), assuming that Windows wouldn't restart itself if I was clearly busy doing something. Wrong! As I was making decent progress in the Jungle, Windows abruptly restarted at the specific time it had informed me about and then proceeded to install updates for the next 45+ minutes, which meant that I ended up going to bed later than intended.
  • Well you did agree to it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!