Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    A fantastic thing I've discovered in the Edge browser is the read aloud option, which obviously enough reads the text for you. You can change the language, so that it works in a lot of countries presumably. But... you can change the language even for English text, which results in quite accurate and heavy stereotypical accents. So you can listen to the posts on here in Allo Allo level French accents, or as Manuel from Fawlty towers. It passes the time, anyway.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm only just realising how useful the collections tab is on the Edge browser. I figured it was just some kind of bookmarks folder but it turns out you can start a folder and drag photos straight off webpages into it, copy sections of text in there, make your own notes etc. Then, if you want, you can export to word docs or excel or whatever. Very useful.
  • I like the shake the windows feature. If you want to minimise everything but one window just shake that window about. Doing it again reverses it.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    I'm only just realising how useful the collections tab is on the Edge browser. I figured it was just some kind of bookmarks folder but it turns out you can start a folder and drag photos straight off webpages into it, copy sections of text in there, make your own notes etc. Then, if you want, you can export to word docs or excel or whatever. Very useful.

Just tested this....nice!
  • My mouse pointer disappears when moving over certain Windows. Mainly VLC and OBS, as soon as my mouse pointer travels over the window or disappears, you can interact with the window but you're flying blind. Anyone seen this or know a solution? It's difficult to Google as you only get solutions about mouse pointers not disappearing when watching videos or streaming.
  • That happened to me once or twice on my surface, but very intermittently. It was certain apps and I always figured it was because my service came with Windows 10s and I switched it to normal mode. It was only happening with certain apps, like Google which wouldn't be an app you could use with Windows s
    SFV - reddave360
  • My laptop was having some weird screen flickering issue and after messing about with drivers and startup settings, all seemed fine til this morning.
    Nothing obvious was jumping out and I eventually decided to try a safe mode boot to see if it still occurred but I couldn't log in because my PIN wasn't available under safe mode!!
    I've now reset Windows and it appears fine but I'll have to gradually reintroduce programs to see if it pops up again.
    If it does, I'll probably move to Ubuntu!
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Can anyone recommend an image editor? I used to be a massive fan of Pixelmator on Mac before I switched back to Windows. I can't find anything on Redmond's OS that's quite the same mix of power and user friendliness that Pixelmator is. Think more powerful than Paint, but not as feature-rich as Photoshop.

Cheers much.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Gimp?
  • I also like Gimp
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Roujin wrote:
    I also like Gimp

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I’ve tried Gimp before without much success. I’ll have another punt.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I haven’t tried Gimp in years. Is the UI still a multi-panel mess?
    Krita is a decent open-source photoshop alternative. Worth a look. It’s even got a python console.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Krita, you say? To the Google machine!
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Photo pos Pro, or Krita, are supposed to be good.
  • Just installed Krita.  As someone who finds Gimp an impenetrable mess this looks a lot more straightforward.
  • Gimp and other comprehensive image editors definitely make me question how things have got this far without a someone coming up with a much better conception of what an interface should do for the user. Usually what you need to do will be really simple, but all the myriad of tools and menus for functions that you don't need right now tend to just obfuscate the few things you actually need.

I wouldn't mind a program which had a natural language processing frontend, where you could just type in "I want to make it look like this guy is holding something else" then it would give you only the necessary tools and would lay out the interface so as to naturally guide you to do the steps in the right order.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I have high hopes for Krita, looks good so far. Worst comes to worst I'll buy a 'cheap' Mac just for Pixelmator. Sob.
  • Gimp and other comprehensive image editors Microsoft office suite definitely makes me question how things have got this far without a someone coming up with a much better conception of what an interface should do for the user. Usually what you need to do will be really simple, but all the myriad of tools and menus for functions that you don't need right now tend to just obfuscate the few things you actually need.

I wouldn't mind a program which had a natural language processing frontend, where you could just type in "I want to make it look like this guy is holding something else" then it would give you only the necessary tools and would lay out the interface so as to naturally guide you to do the steps in the right order.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • In fairness to MS, the search box can be very useful but I do agree.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Anyone know a place for cheap windows 10 licences?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ebay usually has a lot of that stuff. I've got Office keys for a few quid that worked fine. They definitely have Windows licences but I've never used one.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    SpaceGazelle got scammed (credit card details stolen I think) buying a cheap license, so be careful.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Can't you use a current license? I thought you could carry them over now?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Was that on ebay?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    No, I don't think so.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Can't you use a current license? I thought you could carry them over now?

Only some licenses. You have to use command prompt to determine if you have a retail version.
  • Have you googled free Windows 10? They were openly giving it away for a long time then "closed" the offer but you could still get a free version by saying you use accessibility features. I've used the onscreen keyboard a fair few times so technically wasn't lying.
  • Cheers all. The accessibility looophole seems to be for upgrades only but this is a clean install on a macbook. My PC is OEM so that's out. You can still use a Windows 7 licence apparently which I had once but that's long gone. 

Googling brings up plenty of places to buy them cheap. But they're all covered in messages telling you how legal and legit it is. Which is actually less reassuring. 

Won't be a problem. I'll just dig around a bit.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I guess the Windows 7 licence is not linked to your email address? That's how I was able to transfer mine, but it took a phone call to support to do it, they sorted it out no problem.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!