Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Do you want to download this update now?

DO YOU WANT TO INSTALL THIS UPDATE NOW?!

WOULD YOU LIKE TO CHOOSE MY BLOATWARE AS OPTIONAL INSTALLS?!?!
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    I still think I liked 7 best.

I also really liked 7. And XP with the Zune theme installed. 

Anywho, does anyone know why my Surface Go 2 has decided to not automatically switch between speakers and headphones when the latter are (un)plugged? I have to go into Sound in Settings and change manually.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • You were rude to it, and now it's in a huff.
  • My xps has a similar problem of late, but it seems to be since I started using a new set if headphones with it *Bluetooth AKG. Don't have the issue when I plug in regular head phones so just it down to the AKG being a bit temperamental.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    You were rude to it, and now it's in a huff.

Not likely, I have a deep and loving relationship with my Surface.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    ... since I started using a new set if headphones with it *Bluetooth AKG. Don't have the issue when I plug in regular head phones...

Mine are regular 3.5mm jack headphones. I think this (minor) issue started with the last update, so I wonder if MS have just broken something and haven't got around to fixing it yet.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    My brother informs me that Windows 11 will run Android apps. That's pretty neat. I'm guessing that'll be Microsoft trying to take some of the thunder from Apple and the M1 Macs running iOS stuff.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    That would be great for apps like Kindle, where the Windows app is absolute rubbish. Or Libby - android allows you to download magazines but on pc you have to be online all the time. It's one of the places where surface pro falls down
  • It's rare to find a windows app of anything that isn't hugely watered down, not just kindle (I actually think the kindle app is no longer there unless you had it from past history)

Great move if it works reliably. I very much prefer working from a laptop over phone but so many apps are phone based.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The Surface Pro is great laptop that would be a great tab if it had any apps. This will hopefully solve that.
  • Said to be rebuilding the windows store (and therefore by extension the game pass back end) from the ground up so fingers crossed it stops being a useless heap of jobbies.

I'll believe it when I see it though.
  • Hmm... they tend to make things worse they more they try to fix things...
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Windows phones were actually really good. It was kind of a pity it never caught on.

I used one for a while and trialled using it as a single device. There was a docking station with it that let you use it like a PC (it was essentially a Windows 10 device). For typical office based work (Office + browser) it was splendid. It auto switched between desktop and phone mode and it all worked nicely.

MS bribed devs to make Windows versions of their apps but it never took off.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Frosty wrote:
    Said to be rebuilding the windows store ...

Yeah, it's apparently going to be more open, and devs don't have to sign up for giving Microsoft a cut. Not sure how that'll work, but it'll be weird seeing Chrome and such on the Windows Store.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Windows phones were actually really good.

Windows Phone was fucking boss, I miss mine.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Windows phones were actually really good.
    Windows Phone was fucking boss, I miss mine.

I still have mine but the charge function on the dock is knackered. :(

I booted it up last time I was in the office a few weeks ago just for the craic - it updated itself and my OneDrive files were available on it. :)
  • This depresses me: MS bollocks

There are so many things mentioned that you just know will be a disaster.

"We’re thrilled to bring you the best Windows ever for gaming." - you might be, nobody who cares about gaming is.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    Also the TPM requirement for Win11 is going to catch a LOT of people out, even those who probably have devices that have it, but it is not enabled by default on most modern motherboards.

People are going to buy new hardware they really didn't need to.
  • No TPM on mine which is a good argument for not upgrading it. :-)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It will be a fuck up but will eventually be fine. That's the MS way. Might take a while though.
  • Remember Game Mode in W10? Such a great new feature and suitably heralded by MS at the time. It benefitted precisely 1 game (maybe 2) and made many run worse.

MS eventually 'fixed' it by changing it from something that locked cpu cores and other 'clever' stuff to something that simply stopped windows update running in the background.

No doubt exclusive fullscreen will finally be killed off in W11 - they had a good go at that in W10. There will be more incompatibility with older games - W10 isn't terrible but worse that W7. There will be more useless bloat, apps that we won't use, more 'telemetry', more config options removed from the gui. Auto HDR will just screw up the gamma on games randomly - I'm hoping here that it's only for Windows Store/framework games so I won't be affected.

W11 will just have more 'performance boosting' things I will need to identify and disable.

I am a broken record here but everything game related MS has ever done with Windows has been a disaster and a detriment to gamers.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    They just have far too much shit running in the background. I've had to disable sleep on my PC. It thrashes the disc at 100% for about 10mins every time it comes out of it. I have yet to find out what it is that causes it despite looking at running processes etc.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    I still have mine but the charge function on the dock is knackered. :( I booted it up last time I was in the office a few weeks ago just for the craic - it updated itself and my OneDrive files were available on it. :)

Oh shush, you're making me well up.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I reckon that my Surface Go 2 will get upgraded to Windows 11 whenever it becomes available, to get those touch screen UX improvements. But my sits-on-a-desk-all-day-so-is-it-really-still-a-"lap"top will stay W10 to avoid compatibility bollocks.
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    I really enjoy using Windows to be honest and other than the odd problem here and there, with the most recent being my PC crashing as it came out of sleep, I rarely get issues.

Really looking forward to Windows 11.  Not sure how i'll fair with the start bar being in the middle though.  That's some serious muscle memory i'll have to retrain.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I really don't see the point of moving it to the middle after so many years. It seems to be a typical Microsoft thing to just change things for the sake of changing them. Teams drives me nuts by switching things around regularly for no obvious reason.
  • They're deliberately making it worse with nonsense like the taskbar stuff, they're moving towards Apple levels of contempt for the user.
  • I found windows 10 pretty strong but then I rarely seem to be too bothered by whatever Windows I use. 8 was the most awkward - I get they wanted to break into tablets but the tech wasn't quite there either hardware wise or software.

SFV - reddave360
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    They're deliberately making it worse with nonsense like the taskbar stuff, they're moving towards Apple levels of contempt for the user.
    They're moving it to the middle because it is then easier for Mac or Chrome OS users to migrate to Windows because it will feel more familiar. The start menu is pretty crap as is anyway, so changing it isn't exactly a big deal.
  • Chromebooks are so shit.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!