Windows 10 and also 11
  • Chromebooks are so shit.
    Hard disagree. Why do you think that?
  • They're deliberately making it worse with nonsense like the taskbar stuff, they're moving towards Apple levels of contempt for the user.
    They're moving it to the middle because it is then easier for Mac or Chrome OS users to migrate to Windows because it will feel more familiar. The start menu is pretty crap as is anyway, so changing it isn't exactly a big deal.

That's fine but it doesn't excuse removing the ability to move it to where the user would prefer. They're a massive software/hardware company, you would think they would be able to manage to code in such things...
  • I thought you could move it back to the left? You could in the leaked build.

Start menu isn't something I use too much, I like to have my main program apps on the task bar and moving that to the middle won't be a huge change.
    SFV - reddave360
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    I thought you could move it back to the left? You could in the leaked build.

Start menu isn't something I use too much, I like to have my main program apps on the task bar and moving that to the middle won't be a huge change.

You can move it back to the left. Not sure if you can place it anywhere else though.
  • Oh yeah, you can't move the task bar to the side or to the top (although I've never felt windows works as well if you move the taskbar)
    SFV - reddave360
  • https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-11-specifications
    Alignment to the bottom of the screen is the only location allowed.
    No idea why, almost just seems spiteful.

I have the taskbar on the left side of my main monitor, and I have it hidden unless I mouse over it. This maximises the useful screen area for things, if it was on the bottom then it would take up an unnecessary amount of space for the icons I need on it. Blank unusable space is something I abhor in a user interface, because it takes screen area away from content I want to be seeing. I can understand the need for it in a touch interface, but I'm on a desktop machine and I'm sure as fuck not using a touchscreen.

For a widescreen monitor having it on the left makes a fair bit of sense, to me it just looks overwide and sparse on the bottom, it would be even worse on an ultrawide monitor. Plus because I have it show when I mouse over it the left is a convenient place for this, on the bottom I'm going to accidentally bring it up all the time when I try to click something near the bottom of the screen, like for example the Home button down there. It's going to be really annoying and they can fuck off.
  • The Sharif don’t like it
    They’ve locked the task bar
    Locked the task bar
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I always sing Lock the Task Bar in my head every time I right click on it.
  • Interesting that much of the stuff I've seen of Windows 11 seems to be making it more appealing for the casual user - don't know if a work place pc needs widgets, glassy design etc. Which is fine but maybe ms need a streamlined productivity windows
    SFV - reddave360
  • High five gurt. I'm left side hidden task bar man too.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Interesting that much of the stuff I've seen of Windows 11 seems to be making it more appealing for the casual user - don't know if a work place pc needs widgets, glassy design etc. Which is fine but maybe ms need a streamlined productivity windows

Definitely this. I'd like an optimised no-frills build for lower- spec machines that doesn't eat system resources. Basically Linux but that can run windows applications without Wine. These days Windows seems to be it's own bloatware.

PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • From recent experience of reinstalling operating systems on PC and on my phone, I really would like a nice big 'Fuck Off' button on the initial setup that does away with all the time and resource wasting nonsense they try to force upon you.
  • So, I recently decided to install the latest w10 updates on my notebook.
    On reboot I immediately notice the home screen going wonky from time to time. I uninstall the latest updates and w10 is running normal again lol. Been normal for the last 24 hrs (knocks on wood).
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Check if the wonkiness has anything to do with the new ‘news and weather’ thing they’ve just rolled out. Can’t remember its name but you can right click on desktop and turn it off.

In true MS fashion, few wanted it but had no choice but turning it off caused issues with the task bar (I think) for some people.
  • Aye, the intrusive news en weather feed was the first thing I turned off. The wonkiness were (probably?) graphical issues due to the CPU/ GPU/Nvidia Optimus not working properly. MS has a history with that on laptops.
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    Check if the wonkiness has anything to do with the new ‘news and weather’ thing they’ve just rolled out. Can’t remember its name but you can right click on desktop and turn it off.

In true MS fashion, few wanted it but had no choice but turning it off caused issues with the task bar (I think) for some people.

This is what the new widget for 11 will be I take it? It seems pointless to be honest . I'm on a laptop with a browser. Getting news isn't an issue and I certainly don't want an ms news feed which usually is very us centric.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Linux-style command line package manager for Windows -

• Reinstalling w10 on laptop after the previous installation got corrupted. Somehow an update screwed up the igpu with bsod's, black screens and screen flickering galore. Reinstalling the driver does not fix the issue. Upon reinstalling w10, the fresh installation still exhibits screen flickering. Seriously, Wtf?

Now installing w10updates and patches and the flickering has subsided. How the fuck is this even remotely acceptable ms?

Before all this happened I did accidentally crash windows with a faulty battery but surely this can't be the cause of the behaviour described above?

The last time I had these issues only a repaste resolved things permanently. Can a power cut fuck up the thermal paste adhesion of a CPU/GPU? Not looking forward to repasting as it's a bit of a hassle.
  • Fuck me, I should probably just buy a new laptop
  • Hmm that sounds really weird, do those issues occur in Linux? Sounds a bit like a bad ribbon cable connection or something. If it's hardware related.
  • That's actually a plausible explanation. Will open the pc up later to have a look at the innards..
  • Heh, in the new w10 install I don't even have access to the discrete Nvidia GPU. Access denied lol which indicates the latest w10 20H2 updates definitely fucks around with nvidia Optimus. Not likely to be hw related then. Will try to reinstall the gfx drivers first but not looking good.

Seriously, MS QC for w10 updates is shite.
  • Okay, turns out a reinstall of the Nvidia driver solves the issue. After trying a clean reinstall, SFC, Dism and reinstall of gfx drivers I'm finally on w10 20H2. Yay!

Whatever happened to click the update button and it just works?
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    Whatever happened to click the update button and it just works?

You're confusing Windows with OSX. Bill Gates with Steve Jobs. It isn't for reals without a bit of struggle etc. But think of all the games you can play.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • It's more just a case of Microsoft firing all their QA testers -
    Microsoft laid off almost the entire Windows Test team as it moved the focus from three different systems -- Windows, Windows Mobile and Xbox -- to a single system. The company moved most of the testing to virtual machines and this meant according to Berg that tests were no longer conducted on real and diverse hardware configurations for the most part.

However for all it's faults Windows 10 still seems to be the most performant OS out there for my needs. Linux distros always seem to have some pretty basic usability awkwardnesses, hopefully one day I could fully switch but it seems a ways off. And Mac OS is just becoming more and more of a walled garden.
  • Seriously, it feels like windows phone omnishambles all over again with the general instability. I'm open to defecting to Linux but sadly Linux atm is shit with stuff like Optimus and dual gpu's.
  • hunk wrote:
    Seriously, it feels like windows phone omnishambles all over again with the general instability. I'm open to defecting to Linux but sadly Linux atm is shit with stuff like Optimus and dual gpu's.

Just you wait until Windows 11/ Vista 2 launches.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Linux and Nvidia are not warm bedfellows, sadly.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Chromebooks are so shit.

I'm vaguely tempted by the Samsung Galaxy Chromebook 2, but only because it comes in red.

In other news, my Surface Go has started recognizing when headphones are plugged in again, so everyone can relax now.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    That's good news. Are you still overseas (South Korea?)?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!