Windows 10 and also 11
  • I smell a class action suit coming.
  • Yeah, Grade-A dickishness abound.
  • It's difficult to believe they didn't see the issues and backlash coming.  I'm so confused right now.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message

A chap popped into my work today, his entire business is down while he figures out a fix for this. Supreme PR disaster for Microsoft.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Thank you so much for the heads up.
    Especially Gurt as I downloaded the app to prevent the W10 upgrade by following a link in that article.

The reason I don't want to upgrade is I use 3DS Max as my primary piece of work software.
    I generally stick to Max 2014 but have 2016. Neither officially support W10 and are crash heavy with it.
    Max 2017 does support W10 but is crash happy in it's own right. (anyone who has used 3ds max will know not to upgrade for at least 6-12 months after release).

Essentially upgrading to W10 severely effects my ability to earn a living.
    MS are total cunts for tricking people into upgrading.
  • Microsoft amaze me - they so often shoot themselves in the foot. Sometimes I wonder how the hell they are still in existence.

To be fair, their products are usually excellent (after a few patches), but they don't half have a knack for regularly pissing off their customer base.

New tagline:
    "Microsoft: Two steps forward, one step back."
  • They exist as they are because they totally dominate the "work PC" market.
    Macs are too expensive, Android based netbooks too limited, linux etc too complex.

Plus Office is totally dominant. Even MAC based work places often favour powerpoint over keynote.
  • Microsoft amaze me - they so often shoot themselves in the foot. Sometimes I wonder how the hell they are still in existence.

To be fair, their products are usually excellent (after a few patches), but they don't half have a knack for regularly pissing off their customer base.

New tagline:
    "Microsoft: Two steps forward, one step back."

Such a true statement. Just when they look like they are getting things back on track too. Windows 10 isn't perfect but I found it a really nice os that works fine. Pity they don't realise that many business aren't like ganers and want efficiency over new every time.

SFV - reddave360
  • Stability and the ability to actually use their software is what they want; tests I've seen say Win10 is (barring odd computers it barfs up on) more efficient than 7 or 8.
  • I bloody love Windows 10. But I have to say, the upgrade process seems to have shafted an awful lot of people.

Doing a clean wipe is the best thing for ensuring a stable install, however...

Frustratingly, you have to upgrade from Win7/8 to 10 in order to get Windows Activation sorted. Only then can you do a fresh install of 10 (to make it stable) and it'll remember the previous activation. 

If you try to do a clean wipe straight from Win 7/8 (i.e. without allowing it to do an upgrade first), Windows won't activate.

Thanks for making that nice and easy, Microsoft.

I tend to wipe & reinstall all my Windows machines every 1-2 years as a matter of course. Seems necessary to keep them running at their best.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Windows 10 gets a thumbs up from me, and I'm a formerly long standing frothing Apple fanboy.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yet you run Windows CE
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    Yet you run Windows CE

It's my secret shame.

Away from CE and back to 10, noob question - what's the difference between the Power Shell and the Command Prompt?
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    cockbeard wrote:
    Yet you run Windows CE

It's my secret shame.

Away from CE and back to 10, noob question - what's the difference between the Power Shell and the Command Prompt?

Use of cmdlets and pipes among other things I think...can't be sure, though.
  • I'm running Windows 10 on a Mac Pro using Bootcamp, it's great so far, best windows i've used in a while, much prefer it to 7 and 8.

HOWEVER... mouse scroll wheel is a bit pants.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    A fresh install didn't make my 10 any more stable. The initial upgrade was a disaster and the revert to 7 lost me all the data on my c drive. I had to reinstall 7 from disc, upgrade and then do a clean install. And now the start menu is gone again.
  • Crikey that sounds awful Kow, did you format the drive when you installed?  Presumably the machine was fine on 7 or is there a chance that some hardware has gone awry?  Ram seated properly, drive cables firmly in? Got all drivers up to date etc?
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Was absolutely perfect on 7, not a single problem. Was fucked immediately on upgrade. It's liveable with, start menu etc is fairly easily sorted out, but it's annoying - particularly as it was so rock solid before.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message

So, Command Prompt is literally "run this single command for me", while Power Shell is the actual command line, with pipes and such?
  • Blue Swirl wrote:

So, Command Prompt is literally "run this single command for me", while Power Shell is the actual command line, with pipes and such?

Year, it's closer to Linux-level functionality now.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Year, it's closer to Linux-level functionality now.

Awesome, thanks.

Ironic, really, as they're adding that whole Ubuntu-in-Windows thing soon. Get ready for three slightly different command line interfaces.
  • Won't Linux command line usage be fairly niche? I can see it being useful for a purebred Linux admin who's trying to extend their skills into Windows, but I can't see many PowerShell users ditching that to use bash instead.

But what do I know? In general I hate all command-line stuff and only use PowerShell for scripting if there's not an efficient way to do something via GUI. But plenty of people are the polar opposite.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Won't Linux command line usage be fairly niche? I can see it being useful for a purebred Linux admin who's trying to extend their skills into Windows, but I can't see many PowerShell users ditching that to use bash instead.

It does seem like a way of getting Linux guys to use Windows, rather than to actually add something to Windows. The stuff I've read says you can't, for example, use the Linux gubbins in W10 to pipe a bit of text to a new Word document. I think MS are just looking to make it easier to switch Linux servers to Windows ones, if all the scripts an admin has written over the years will Just Work™.

I'm no expert, but it does seem like part of the MS project to get Windows 10 in as many places as possible. Hence the free upgrade window, the port for Raspberry Pi, the Linux gubbins, and the Universal Windows Platform stuff across phone, PC and Xbox. Ubiquity by stealth.
  • PowerShell's been pretty good for ages, hasn't it? Just fucking slow. Assuming it's faster than that, I imagine a lot of devs will use Linux/Bash when they have to do CLI stuff in Windows as most of the time when they need to use one it's in Linux, so that's what they're more used to. Certainly the case for me.

As for why they're doing it, it could by any number of reasons including a long-term plan to drop the Windows kernel, or the start of their infamous EEE strategy.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    PowerShell's been pretty good for ages, hasn't it? Just fucking slow.

Dunno, I've not done much in it beyond tinkering with it. I found it not as useful as the Terminal in OS X.
    AJ wrote:
    ... the start of their infamous EEE strategy.

This is entirely plausible. I see things going the same way as OS X - way back when they started OS X they really touted the UNIX underpinnings and open source components. They even had a 'best open source app' award for ages, but that got quietly dropped around 2009, iirc. Microsoft may just be doing this for the same reasons as Apple back in 2001 - make things as easy as possible for developers, then start bringing in the drawbridge as you gain traction. That'd explain UWP, the Ubuntu/Windows hybridisation, and the recent push to make iOS/Android apps more easily portable to Windows.
  • Kow wrote:
    Was absolutely perfect on 7, not a single problem. Was fucked immediately on upgrade. It's liveable with, start menu etc is fairly easily sorted out, but it's annoying - particularly as it was so rock solid before.
    A clean install of win 10 after activation solved my start menu problems.
    Upgrading from 7 to 10 is downright buggy alright. Disappearing start menus, black screens on dx 9 games, bsod occurences, all common issues due to upgrading. Something goes wrong with directx and can't be solved with either sfc or dism.
    A true Clean install of 10 (not a revert to Factory settings) did wonders and now win10 is running as expected. Haven't had problems since (knock on wood). It auto activates on clean install which is nice.

Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Someone else said it but the best thing for w10 is download the upgrade so it ties to your key and then do a clean install. I could be wrong but even if you have no major glitches, I felt it performed smoother after a clean install.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Anyone know how I would check the progress of a back up in Windows 10?
  • Last few hours for the free upgrade Iirc.
  • It's now or never. Never then

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!