my 360 is dying :(
  • Yep, its on its last legs. Shes an original though, doesn't even have an hdmi port on her but has stayed the course. We had a scare a few years ago, I took a sabbatical and she stayed in Germany for a few days to recuperate but this is it this time. :(

Anyhoo.... Basically I'm after a bit of an upgrade but I'm a bit out the loop with the latest 'versions', is it an elite I'm after still? I'm guessing all versions have hdmi, I'm after that (or better?) and a bit more memory. Then its just a transfer cable deal and job done?
  • You don't need a transfer cable, a usb thingy formated using the 360 (you can select the amount of space to format) will do the same job.

Having said that, I lost about five thousand gamer points during the move to my new console, including all one thousand from Oblivion. The saves were unaffected though.

Maybe a transfer cable is a better option...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    In theory you could put all your saves on the Cloud and then re-download your XBLA games meaning you could move consoles without ever touching a cable or USB drive.

That said, I'd still use the USB method, there's a dead simple transfer tool built into the dashboard.

At least you have the benefit of being able to take your time and don't need to clear the machine so you can trade it in before getting a new one. I assume.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    You can need a fairly large USB stick though if your library is larger. Some debs seem to not always separate their save from DLC or other content iirc. I'm sure I had to sacrifice some old stuff when I migrated to a slim as the only stick I could find was 4 or 8gig?
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    If Hulka has both machines still he can just do a couple of transfers. That's what I had to do using a 64MB (lol) memory unit back in the day.

The process won't transfer installed disc games even if you use a cable and for me that's the bulk of my HDD space.
  • Star wars kinnect Lester? Jeepers!!
    Cheers guys, does it seriously jump from 10 to 250g? I'll def be sticking with a transfer cable though, I'm like the worst geek ever and would no doubt spaz my usb transfer.
  • Any thoughts on a post E3 price drop? My Falcon Elite is wheezing a bit and am tempted by an S. Or do Game/HMV still offer £60 on a trade in?
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I think that $99 if you sub to Live for two years offer might have torpedoed any prospect of an E3 drop.
  • Yeah, the 250gig slims will be a very nice upgrade. I would just do the proper transfer, as you say. Still, good work to have had it last this long.

DO hold on to your old headsets and stuff, the wired headsets that come with the slims are fucking shite, in my experience.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Never considered a trade in for my old 360, I wonder how much it would knock of a slim?
  • I really hope my old box holds it together until 720 arrives. Bought it on the week it came out. Had it rrod repaired once. Still going strong.

On a side note: if I do get a new machine, can I slap on my old harddrive on it?

Edit: Found a haxX0r on youtube. You can have olddrive in newslim, with screwdriver magic.
  • n0face wrote:
    Never considered a trade in for my old 360, I wonder how much it would knock of a slim?

I traded my original launch 360 (still working, but sounded like a washing machine) at CEX for a 250Gb slim. Console, wireless pad was £32, the Wireless adaptor was £18. Didn't trade in the HDD, as I wanted to transfer the data anyway. Think I ended up paying £100.
  • My understanding is that you can simply slot it in, oioi!
  • _sigge_ wrote:
    I really hope my old box holds it together until 720 arrives. Bought it on the week it came out. Had it rrod repaired once. Still going strong. On a side note: if I do get a new machine, can I slap on my old harddrive on it?
    It's possible, but not that straightforward. The new 360 uses the same drive, but a different caddy. You have to break open the current caddy to remove the drive, then you can either wedge it into your new machine or buy a new caddy for the drive.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Hulka T wrote:
    My understanding is that you can simply slot it in, oioi!

You can't just slot it straight in, but removing the plastic case from the old one so you can slot it in is supposed to be dead easy.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Too slow!
  • I've. Decided to buy a new slim and keep my fat in another room. The fat won't have an Internet connection, what is the deal with drm locked games, I've had the console replaced several times so its not the original box i downloaded the games on and can I have my xbox arcade on both consoles?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    You can play any games you've bought if you're signed in to that machine with the same account that bought them. For any other users they'll show as trials.

If you transfer (and re-download) the licences to one of the machines anyone can play them as full games. You can only have the licences on one machine at a time (and can only move them once per year) so you'll always have:

One machine anyone can play full XBLA games on
    One machine only you can have full XBLA games on

The new cloud saving of profiles makes it dead easy for you to just move between machines, You just recover your gamer tag to the 'second' machine once and it stores it locally.
  • n0face wrote:
    Never considered a trade in for my old 360, I wonder how much it would knock of a slim?

I think Gamestation gave me £50 for my Premium, but that was over a year ago.
  • Game are currently offering an extra 25% trade-in on hardware, what that equates to in sterling I'm not sure. I may ring up a store the morrow, or Dante may be able to enlighten us.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I just took the plunge and bought a new slim today, sticking the old one upstairs for when I don't want to watch the voice/xfactor/other shit. The slim is quite pretty and it makes posh noises when you turn it on and the eject button is satisfying. Minecraft looks much better without crazy ghosting as well.
  • Are the Slims quite swift? My old Elite seems to take an age loading friends, quickplay, etc. I am to assume this is the console and not the network.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Webbins wrote:
    Are the Slims quite swift? My old Elite seems to take an age loading friends, quickplay, etc. I am to assume this is the console and not the network.

My S does exactly the same. I was going to post here about it.

Clearing the cache didn't help much last time but I might give it another go.
  • I have noticed the dash running quicker then my original box.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!