The Player
  • Sometimes I do odd things like Google my name. Which means I happen across stuff I'd totally forgotten about like this.

Brooks still rocks my world.
  • "it runs MSN conversations between the staff as features. Even Edge never stooped that far up its own arse."

:D
  • Pretty funny that.

+1

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I enjoyed that - thanks for the look back into history, Dante.
  • New Games Journalism'll be back
  • So, to give that article some back story:

When we were writing The Player/Play.d I was working a pretty boring job as a product manager for a little telecommunications company. I was 21 or 22 I think and I was convinced I wanted to make this internet magazine my career. 

I was pretty serious about it, constantly emailing/calling advertisers, publishers, developers to see if we could get games, coverage, advertising, etc. 

Anyway, we actually started to get a little bit of success. We had a few thousand downloads of our podcast whenever we'd bothered to release one. Our magazine was getting some decent hits and we were getting 'some' coverage.

One day, out of the blue, I get an email from the editor of UK:Resistance asking if he could run a blog on our magazine. He apparently liked it, but found the whole Gillen interview to be pretty funny (which, in hindsight, it was - totally self-serving).

So there we were, all primed and ready to head to UK:R to join in with the mocking - and I think that little article generated a tidy bit of traffic.

It was fun - but my god we spent a lot of our time working on that fucking magazine; and look where it got us...
  • All seems like so very long ago.

time flies

g.man
  • Ah, but here we all are, eh? Even if The Player was still during my lurking days. BACK ON THE ROAD, GANG.
  • Yup, indeed it does. I remember the EDGE forum being pretty aggressive back in those days. Very cliquey.
  • Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • I mean, those guys were actually a huge inspiration to me. 

I really enjoyed Consolevania. I remember when I'd just moved to Vancouver - I was kind of lonely, it was winter, I didnt know my way around. That show had just started and it kind of shocked me.

It was great. The community around it was also really amazing.
  • I very nearly called this thread 'because I love google', but went for simplicity.
  • It would have sufficed.
  • google wrote:
    Yup, indeed it does. I remember the EDGE forum being pretty aggressive back in those days. Very cliquey.
    Indeed. It's nice to look back on years later though and reflect on how we managed to grow out of the "terrible teens" as it were, and build what's ultimately become a very tight knit and worthwhile little community.

that's life

g.man
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I remember browsing UK Resistance when I was like 15 and laughing at the sega nostalgia tear wiper goggles or something.
  • Remember when Gillen was invited on the poddo and then became so uncomfortable with the general content of everone else's conversation that he wasn't happy with the episode going out at all or something

In probably better news I gather Idle Thumbs successfully Kickstartered ($100k+, goal was only $30k) and are getting their decent videogames show running again. High quality produce.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!