Total War: Warhammer - Total Hammer: War - Hammer War: Total
‹ Previous123456789
  • So having been out of the loop on release schedules for some time now (edge subscription lapsed ~8 years ago), was pleasantly surprised to spot that the guys at Creative Assembly have slapped a Warhammer skin on their Total War engine and will soon be releasing a new string to the series based in the WFB "universe", hence bringing together two pillars of my extreme geekdom....glory days.

Looks to be getting released in late May (24th), although reviewers/mags etc will get their mitts on copies later this month.  Reason why that's seemingly important is, one of the races (Chaos Warriors) is available from day 1, but via DLC only.  Pre-orderers get said DLC gratis (oh the lure), whilst launch day and beyond buyers have to stump up further readies to access the fifth race (the other day one races being, Empire, Greenskins, Vamps and Dwarfs).  So general plan seems to be to hold off on pre-order until early May, and slap down the cash if general consensus is that the game isn't a mutt.

The campaign map is the central spine of the warhammer world (the bit that bares a striking resemblance to Westeros in GoT....cold t'up north, warm down south..)  There also looks to be even more variation in how the various races play both in terms of battles and in the campaign than your regular total war game.  Orcs have a somewhat nomadic existence, with pressure on the player to keep the battles coming thick and fast, with limited economy beyond looting, whilst dwarfs take a more sedate conquer and chill approach.

The game also sounds like it guides players in the campaign down a story arc, which may be a positive or negative depending on if your preference is for pure open world conquest (akin to rome or medieval) or for a more narrative led campaign.

Either way, I reckon I'll probably pick this up and if there are any takers, forum games are always preferable to rage-quitters or american pre-teens.

Below are a few videos which set out the games approach to the two facets to total war, campaign and battles:

• Pretty exciting, but I'm not buying it until they see sense and rename it Total Warhammer.

And I get a computer capable of doing it justice.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Who let that stray in?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Love Total War but the Warhammer bit puts me off.
  • Not a fan of the cheese? That's what's great about it.
  • Randomly dipping in and out of gaming has the benefit, that I don't have the year+ wait for a game I'm after....because I don't know about it until it becomes pretty imminent.  

Also need to have a look at the system requirements for this....might get forced into a budget gaming PC (oxymoron?)
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    CA suck at community shit.

• Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    NON-ALCOHOLIC BEER
  • I want this soooo much but my PC isn't muscular enough.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's probably worth holding off on this as pretty much every Total War game has been a broken mess at release. It'll probably take about 6 months to get patched, if it gets patched at all.
  • It is on my wishlist.

Will be a while before i get around to it.

I spend more time on my wishlist than i do on games these days.
  • Chaos only as a pre-order freebie / dlc seems a tad outrageous to me. A plot even Tzeentch himself would never dare to dream up. Happy memories of the original Rome but as Kow says every successive release was a buggy mess. Dawn of War aside, there's never been a Warhammer videogame that's done the source material justice. Here's hoping this is it.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Prolly just gonna buy it a year or two after release for peanuts in a humble sale or such.
  • Agreed on Dawn of War being the last half decent rendition of GW in game form...if I'm honest I'll probably pick this up early doors, but really I'm waiting for the slightly more interesting factions to come in DLC format over the years.  Will prob commence with the vamps.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    SEGA being the owners/publisher always seems to result in substantial DLC sales strategies for a lot of games. Company of Heroes 2 was notorious for it.

Total War: Arena was actually fun in beta. 10 v 10 fights hoy.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Dawn of War aside, there's never been a Warhammer videogame that's done the source material justice.

Long time ago, now, butI seem to remember the old Space Hulk game being good.

Prolly just gonna buy it a year or two after release for peanuts in a humble sale or such.

Ditto. I've got pretty much every TW apart from Rome II and Atilla, I think. Never intended to buy any of them.
  • Rise fwom your gwabe!

So this is quite good actually. I got smashed to pieces by the Greenskins in my first campaign as the Dwarves because I expanded too far. 

As the Empire I had to restart one campaign after making a massive error really early on, bu I just won a battle there where my strength was listed as a quarter of the opponents. The difference was I had mortars, a cavalry unit, and reinforcements. Their whole army breaking as I closed the flank on them and finally got my cavalry out of hit and run battles and into their rear was amazing. 

Not had much fancy stuff like spells yet, but I am looking forward to it. A mite cheaper than Age of Sigmar, but not quite as nerdy.

Re: the DLC - it is very nice that the races appear in your game as AI, if that wasn't the case it would be really awful. As a late comer it's fine, I'll work through each main campain one race at a time. By the time I am done Expansion 1 will likely be out, which has three races. 

For those interested the DLC lineup is allegedly:

DLC5 - Wood Elves
    DLC8 - Tomb Kings
    DLC10 - Skaven
    DLC13 - Chaos Dwarfs
    DLC15 - Ogre Kingdoms

Exp1 - Dark Elves, High Elves, Lizardmen
    Exp2 - Chaos Nurgle, Chaos Tzeentch, Chaos Slaanesh, Chaos Khorne

I have highlighted the best boys, for your viewing pleasure.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    No Dags of War ;_;

Skaven tho.
  • 9pm BBC Four Time Commanders is back. Show uses total war strategy games.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Late to the party, but this thread wins the best thread title competition.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    9pm BBC Four Time Commanders is back. Show uses total war strategy games.
    Oh my. I remember that.

Greg Wallace though..... :/
  • Oh apparently Mr Wallace is a bit of strategy game fan which helps I guess - https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/12/12/time-commanders-season-3-starts-tonight/
  • Until I looked up an old episode a few days ago I forgot it was fucking Richard "The Hamster" Hamilton who used to present it. Have we gone up a notch?
  • It seems like there's a multiplayer campaign option which is cool. I never did get to play a coop campaign in Shogun 2 as I only had my naff laptop back then. Would anyone like to give that a try? Or at least just a battle or two.

Do I have you on my Steam friends list Tempy?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Super old conversation about no video game doing 40k justice bar Dawn of War, but we have to add Space Marine to that list.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • My opinion on this is kinda weird now. My campaigns keep getting shut down really early. This is in part due to how specific they expect you to be, but also because it seems the AI is insane. Just now lost three generals in a row to a Wood Elf assassin with no way of countering, and then the tiny elf army smashed me to pieces because apparently my spearmen are so stupid they refuse to 180 when cavalry are charging? It just feels really shit at teaching you absolutely anything about how it works, which is an issue for the Warhammer stuff because it's so radically different to years of Total War.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    It just feels really shit at teaching you absolutely anything about how it works, which is an issue for the Warhammer stuff because it's so radically different to years of Total War.

How so? Apart from blimey magic guvnor
  • Units don't easily fall into categorisation of previous Total Wars. Every army is different and that can be very confusing.
‹ Previous123456789

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!