ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Hey guys, I've a shiny new house that I want to be very media friendly. So to that end I'd like some advice. I've a nice space under the stairs in which a server will live. Will likely run that as a PC rather than a standalone system, so torrents etc can be managed remotely. The downstairs rooms will be fine as there enough consoles floating around to access UPnP. Issue is upstairs, I'd like a box that can access my server and play music through my amp. Would also need to be remote controllable from an Android device. Could do it as a PC but not sure whether sound cards are really good enough. Is there a HiFi solution? Sound quality matters to me
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Cheers Mod, was gonna use Win Server, but will look into that. The Sonos systems don't seem as expensive as I thought, anyone here used them, any good or fiddly shite?
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Never used them. Do seem a rather expensive way of achieving what you could using AirPlay (if you're willing to munch Apple cock)
  • Ive got a Sonos systems cocko, top stuff.

You can buy either a zone player, that connects to your amp, or separate speaker systems that stand alone. Just plug them into the mains, quick setup to allow access through the router (and point them to wherever your music libraries are) then they can be controlled through free apps available for android or iOS.

Very very simple. Just ask if you want any specific advice.

Edit: Just to add, one sonos box needs to be wired to the router to act as a bridge to the others. If your router isn't near your amp or conveniently situated to connect a Play 5 or Play 3, then you'll need a Zonebridge as well as a ZP90 (the unpowered zone player that connects to an amp). You don't need the sonos controller, as the app is fantastic.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Think that may be the way to go, a decent DAC will cost the same, and the interface appears to be a lot better than the competition. The Cambridge Audio NP30 still tempts though
  • I've never had a problem apart from some early network conflicts (router and Sonos need to be on separate channels). No experience of the Cambridge stuff, but an advantage Sonos has over that is that it's modular and expandable. If you want extra units, they just integrate seamlessly with the existing setup when you plug them in.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!