The Tentative B&B Podgramme Thread
‹ Previous123
  • After I posted the idea in the "remember The Trace" thread, it seemed to be accepted enough for me to want to gather some more opinions, volunteers, offers of help etc.

1.  The Premise
    As part of the continued planned expansion of the B&B, we'll start making a community podcast.  It'll be entirely inclusive and open to contributions from every member here, with no standing anchor, no regular hosts, and no "owner" making the decisions.  Anything contentious gets solved by reasonable adult debate, or by just doing both options.  There won't be a particular timetable, it'll just be an as/when kind of thing.

2.  The Podgramme
    Rather than sink in a sea of identical "what have you played this week/let's discuss the gaming news" podcasts, our podgramme will be themed around one game per episode (or publisher, or series of games; you get the idea).  A group of people will introduce the game, talk about their first encounters with it, and then let it develop however they want.  Opinion seems to be that it should be conducted drunk.

3.  How to Join In
    If you know anything technical about podcasts or editing, then your help with sorting out the first episode or 2 would be much appreciated.  Otherwise, either suggest a game/series/something that you'd be happy to chair a discussion on and recruit participants, or wait until someone suggests a game you're particularly knowledgeable/passionate/interested in/about, and volunteer to take part.  You'll need Skype, and ideally a programme like Audacity that allows you to record your native audio while Skyping so you don't sound like you're underwater.

... and that's it.  If I could collect some opinions/thoughts/criticisms, we can start building an idea for the first one over the next few days?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I won't be involved, but good luck sir.
  • Although I don't want to get involved, someone I know tipped me off about Levelator. Google it, it might help, it might not.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I want DS and Wor Kid to be involved.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Podgrom is better I tells ya. Plus, zilcho interest from me, sorry.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    On the pedantic side, the description only mentions games, but surely programmes might be about wider concepts or some part of gaming outside of the actual games themselves.

I don't have much technical knowledge about such things but I did edit together a few podcast episodes while I was at uni, plus I have time on my hands, so I'd be happy to help out on the editing/behind the scenes stuff if manpower is needed there.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    On the pedantic side, the description only mentions games, but surely programmes might be about wider concepts or some part of gaming outside of the actual games themselves.

I certainly don't have a problem with that, either naturally as part of the discussion or as a specific title.  We're a gaming forum though so I don't think we should have a football episode, though.
    EvilRedEye wrote:
     I don't have much technical knowledge about such things but I did edit together a few podcast episodes while I was at uni, plus I have time on my hands, so I'd be happy to help out on the editing/behind the scenes stuff if manpower is needed there.

That'd be much appreciated :)
  • I've no time to handle technicals, unfortunately, but I'd try things like Ventrilo before Skype.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Hahaha, what odds on identikit freds outlining slightly different concepts from members various over the next week. We gonna end up with six one man podcasts
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I'd love to do this but I'm scared no one will actually understand my accent.
  • I understand it and I'm a twerp
  • What?

Edit: Outta the way you twerp.
  • JonB wrote:
    What?

Edit: Outta the way you twerp.
    I said.... OCH AYE JOCK JOCK SCOTCH EGG MURDER HEART DISEASE JOCK AYE
  • JonB wrote:
    What? Edit: Outta the way you twerp.
    I said.... OCH AYE JOCK JOCK SCOTCH EGG MURDER HEART DISEASE JOCK AYE

Erm...about half past eight?
  • I will join the podgramme cru if anyone wants a Mark Owen Lite to chat about any old shit, I am terribly fey in debate though. I present myself and then cry.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'll absolutely be involved as the legend and fulcrum behind this nonsense.
  • I would like to be involved. I've obviously got some good experience, I can do the technical gubbins, I know how to post to iTunes, rss and the like and I present for a livIng.

With baby on the way there looks to be plenty of time spent at home cooped up without the opportunity to leave. So mixing and editing a podcast would be something I'm happy and able to do.
  • Well, looks like it's me, googs, reg, gav and tempt who've expressed an interest in actually talking.  

CAN WE FIND A GAME THAT LINKS US ENOUGH TO PODGRAM ABOUT?
  • How about one of the Assassin's Creed games?  I know I love them, Reg is playing through them right now.... the rest of you?
  • I've played them all and enjoyed sOme of them. Great idea.

Was also going to suggest I moderate a discussion with you all talking about your various coop experiences with borderlands and your Friday evenings?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I'd be up for helping out with this. Joypod grew from Rllmuk, so it's feasible that we can get something going here. I quite like the idea of breaking away from the typical gaming podcast formula, too.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Where are you living at the mo, Adam?
  • He's in NZ, and the Borderlands idea is a superb one.
  • I like that idea more the more I think about it; having someone with a relatively cursory knowledge of the game as the "host" would work quite well, as if someone who didn't have dozens of hours racked away in the game took part normally they wouldn't have much to add.  But if they're chairing it, I think it works.  The conversation within the podcast becomes tailored to people who don't have intimate knowledge of the game, which would work nicely.

Too many podcasts have people stopping and going "oh yeah, if you haven't played it, umm, this happens;" having a host we need to keep involved who hasn't played it much yet would solve that at a stroke.

My darling other half had another idea too; how about L4D/L4D2?  So many unique memories and enough interesting stuff to talk about.  We could actually do a split first episode with Borderlands and L4D(2) as a pair of similar 4-player co-op games but with very different approaches.

She said that L4D2 is one of the only games she'll happily sit and watch me play, as it tends to be entertaining and frequently laugh-out-loud funny.  I think we could probably fill some time with either or both of those.
  • Yep. Works.

I've played a couple hours of the original so could keep it fairly low key as well.

Done. Co op games.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    At the end of each cast you could have 3 minutes of a recorded MP game session with the game of that week.  You could try commenting on L4D2 as you play and be halfway through a sentence only to start screaming that there's a witch on your arse and could someone fucking buuuuurn it please
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • That's a brill idea
  • It is.  Ironically, my wife had that same idea, and I didn't post it.  Now none of you will believe me.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I don't believe you.  If she pops in and says she had that idea, I would believe her.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    google wrote:
    Where are you living at the mo, Adam?

Like Elm said, NZ. But, er, watch this space. Things may be changing.

If you're looking for a good example of a spoiler-cast, check out 'Cane & Rinse'. For a podcast that picks one subject for each episode, try 1UP's 'Games Dammit!'.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!