The Moving House Thread
  • Kent is lovely, so is Guildford mind. Kent seems to vary price wise, massively on distance to an overground line.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    £100k would buy me what back in the UK, a dingy end terrace in Swansea?  For the cost of the sort of houses I was looking at before we moved, I could buy a 6 bed 4 bath semi-mansion here.  I might just stay.
    My house (a mid-terrace in Salford).  At least it's not Swansea.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    £100k would buy me what back in the UK, a dingy end terrace in Swansea?  For the cost of the sort of houses I was looking at before we moved, I could buy a 6 bed 4 bath semi-mansion here.  I might just stay.
    My house (a mid-terrace in Salford).  At least it's not Swansea.

Scotland is the land to move to. If nothing but for their reasonable laws on house buying.
  • Quite pricey in places like Sevenoaks as it's only 30 minutes on the train to the new job,

Sevenoaks is nice, but the trains to London get rammed making the journey fairly unpleasant.

You could also consider Tonbridge, but that means a slightly longer journey

Other places we looked included Epsom and Kingston and were very nice (if pricey and not really Kent)
  • I'm not too far from Kingston. Where did you end up?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • mk64 wrote:
    I'm not too far from Kingston. Where did you end up?

In the end we decided to go the whole hog and get closer back in to London, so we're in Beckenham (although I think, technically, it's still part of Kent). Nice and leafy, but close to the action.
  • Tonbridge is a good shout, doesn't add that much to the journey.  Really not looking forward to jostling on the trains though.

I'll take a look at Epsom too, that's quite near to where I'll be working.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Saw the house on Saturday, there were a few little bonuses that weren't mentioned in the estate agents' blurb, such as a downstairs loo, little study/den type room and the icing on the cake, an outdoor jacuzzi!

Obviously we loved it, so banged in an offer of £130,000 when we got back which was immediately knocked back due to the six other viewings arranged for next week.

We chewed over that for the weekend and decided on Sunday night that as we loved it and can't really afford a bidding war to break out, we'd up our offer to the asking price if they took it off the market. 

OFFER ACCEPTED! They also cancelled the viewings booked for tonight too so I'm as pleased as punch. Just got to keep our fingers crossed now that the surveys all go well and the girl buying ours doesn't get cold feet. Excited.
  • Nice one sparky.

You do realise only rock stars and swingers have hot tubs though. I would get practicing guitar before the horny, fat middle aged couples show up.
  • Fuck me it's cheap up north.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I've already sent you your invite though...
  • Im not middled aged sorry....
  • Wow, the next Toonstock should have a grand finale!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    No fucking way am I watching your bare hydraulics being lowered into my jacuzzi Jamie. No fucking way. I'm trying not to think about what Dan will drag back from Legends.
  • Oh go on, we can all wear Aviators and have a Top Gun Gayfest.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Don't make the mistake of adding a drop of bubble bath before you fire up the bubbles. How I laughed as the Missus nearly suffocated in a sea of foam.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Have you got one Frantic? Amazing.

adored, the next ToonStock will see a 2v2 volleyball tournament held in my back garden. Aviators and jeans are a must, no tops allowed. Winners get first 'go' in the hot tub.

I baggsy Gremill as my partner, height and strength in abundance as long as I can keep him off the schnapps. Dark horses for the championship are Frantic and Webbins, a potent little 'n large combo that demand respect. Rank outsiders are the limp-wristed, long-haired super fops Mod and TheDJR. I guess that leaves you with DJ Rick as the only overseas player. Game on!
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    We don't have an outdoor one, no. That's just showing off.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    My parents' country house is up for sale next week. I shall post linky once up.
  • Congrats Paul!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's not over until my arse is in that hot tub. Trying not to get my hopes up and keep telling myself it's still far from a done deal.
  • Our arses Paul, our arses.
  • I was selling a flat a couple of years back because our jobs were ending and we just
    Couldn't afford to keep it. The teat who was buying it went nearly all the way to completion and the wanker didn't realise until the last minute that he would have to pay stamp duty. So he tried to get us to pay the stamp duty for him. It was about 50k. I just laughed and told the agent to tell him to fuck off.
    2 weeks later we had another offer for the asking price and because the paperwork had been done already for the teat it was sold and done with 2 weeks after that.
    It was getting desperately close to the time when our jobs were up so it was a little hairy but it worked out.
    I hate houses, mortgages, estate agents, chancers, selling, surveys, HIPS packs etc... An absolute ballache.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • 50K stamp duty?! FUCK.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Got a new job and it's quite a step up so looking to buy just outside of London in Kent.  Quite pricey in places like Sevenoaks as it's only 30 minutes on the train to the new job, at least it's no where near as pricey as where I currently rent in Godalming/Guildford.

Used to live in Sevenoaks, lovely little town, 2 bad flat overlooking the nature reserve £690/month. Now living in Tonbridge, not so lovely (unless you can afford the olde places at the top end of the high street), cheaper than Sevenoaks though and one stop further down the line than Sevenoaks (5 mins approx on train).

EDIT: As it's one stop before Sevenoaks on the morning rush my Mrs reckons to nearly always be able to get a seat on the train in. IN YOUR FACE SEVENOAKS TOFFS.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Hahaha i had thought about that, getting on the train before the Sevenoaks lot means you'd probably get a seat!

We couldn't afford something nice in Tonbridge so we put an offer on a place in East Malling, around the same time on the train, the house doesnt' need any work and the area is quiet so it's good for our toddler.

Can anyone tell me what a reasonable amount to pay is for a solicitor and all the financial checks etc? (Ignoring stamp duty, I know what that works out as).

The estate agent recommended their usual solicitor and excluding stamp duty it works out as £1436.
  • So, me and the wife are moving (hopefully) soon.We've had an offer accepted on a house, have got a buyer for ours, surveys done solicitors talking. In fact, we're over a month into the process.Thing is, we had communication from the solictors of whose house we are buying, saying that they can't conform to a date as they haven't found a property yet....WTF?
    Last we heard, they had found a property, and the survey was being done before ours. Not only that, but they've had an extension done, but don't have the paperwork for planning permission, yet are refusing to pay the indemnity. As such, our solicitors have asked whether we're willing to pay it...cheeky fucks.
    So, this morning, I've had to ring our solicitors and tell them that we wont pay the indemnity, so they'll have to negotiate around that, and then the estate agents of the house we are buying and find out what exactly is going on with regards to them actually moving out.

Such a pain. Got new furniture and appliances to buy, really want to get a date sorted ASAP. The not knowing is a killer.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I'll be out of my cushy penthouse abode within the month, sadly.  Good time to do it though, options abound.  It's a renter's market.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    For the record Volleyball is a game of skill not physicality. You clod footed oafs will wither before our foppish haired displays of ball control.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Wrong thread Mod.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!