Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Wait, there is a vague v-ball reference up there.  I'll allow this.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Up there, back there, ahfuck
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Estate agents, fucking hell.  Never mind turning up on time for a 15 minute inspection, turn up 10 minutes late, utterly fail to acknowledge your tardiness, then look sour for five minutes before pissing off again.  Pardon us for inconveniencing you.  Also, certain landlords are asking substantial dollars for absolute shitholes.  Did find a nicer place in a nicer area (and we're already in a very nice area) though.  There was a rabbit hutch in the rear communal area, with rabbits!
  • Searching for rooms is kind of annoying. It's very similar to job searching in that there's a lot of waiting for responses and turn downs and so on. Had a viewing of a room today that would be quite nice as it is with a youngish group but, like with the jobs, you don't want to get your hopes up about getting it and the wait is always a bit nervy as you look for other places just in case.
  • On the subject of rooms, anyone know anyone looking for a roomy in the south-west of London?
  • In the process of my first move, pretty daunting to be honest. 
    My dad is selling the family home and moving to Spain for semi retirement to be near his brothers. My younger brother is moving in with his gf and I was looking to move out to a small place on my own. 
    However my old man has a plan, he wants to spend 4-6 months at a time living abroad and then come home for a month to pick up some work and see family before heading back out there again, repeating the cycle. 
    So he is buying a modern 2 bed flat in Hertfordshire and asking me to rent it off him. 
    He gets a base to come back to, I get a very nice 2 bed flat for a fraction of the cost. Win! 

We spent the last week just hunting for flats, seems like we finally found the perfect place! After weeks of hunting and finding nothing but pokey little flats in expensive developments we came across one that is in a brilliant little location, near to the mainline train station putting me just 45 mins from central London and a 15 minute cycle across country to work. Walking distance to the town centre, ample parking and almost twice the square footage of everywhere else that we looked at for £20k less! 
    I'm quite excited, hope it all works out.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    So we have moved and are now in a nicer place than our previous one it must be said.  This well appointed property features a generously proportioned lounge/dining area, modern kitchen with recently updated gas stove, ample storage space and a private rear courtyard.  Sumptuous parklands are located nearby, great for the kids or family dog.  I've read many of these sily descriptions of late.  Nice place, big, quiet, uber-riche surround us in startling numbers.  GOOD
  • Does anyone want to hear my bitching about Taylor Wimpey & HSBC? No? I'll press on regardless.

Buying my first house w/girlfriend (not engaged or married), nice 3 bed semi detached just outside Newcastle. Only problem was that it wasn't built yet, and was scheduled for completion May 2012. This was August 2011. Around Jan/Feb of this year, TW ring and state that the build was delayed for 2/3 months due to an issue with another house type. No prior warning, just "this is what will happen". Bellends. Moaned about the handling of the situation to TW for long enough that they took 2k off the price (it was that or free standard carpets). Problem solved...

... until they start pressing us to get a mortgage in place. Went with HSBC, as they had the best rates at the time (obviously). However, they insisted that you could only use one of about 5 solicitors. We had already proceeded with the family solicitor up to this point, and wasn't going to do them over because HSBC said so. Ended up using both, which was a fucking nightmare. Had TW ringing me, threatening that I'd lose the house if I didn't get it sorted even though the issue was between solicitors and not me. I kicked off again at this point, and that seemed to smooth things over. Had to take time off work as a result of the pressure, I'm not great with money-related stress.

HSBC have since gone back on their decision to force you to use their solicitor but that doesn't get me back the extra £300-400 we had to shell out. And the stress. HOWEVER, since we got the keys, there haven't been any major issues (yet). I'm eyeing up one of our ceilings though, as it looks a bit suspect. Expecting to come home one day to my bed being on top of the TV.

tl:dr; never buy a house that you can't see. 
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Can they legally force you to choose their solicitor?

I think a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman might be in order.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Can they legally force you to choose their solicitor? I think a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman might be in order.

They disguised it as something else, like the solicitor had to be on their approved panel (which shrunk from 1000s to about 10). We wrote to HSBC afterwards and they were all like "HAHA WE DON'T CARE" so I think yeah, we might need to go to the FO and see what he/she/it says about the matter. The fact they removed this piece of legislation makes me think that they know they were in the wrong...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The move is on Friday. Still plenty of stuff that can go tits up, fingers crossed for a smooth day.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Good luck, Sparky. We're moving at the start of January.
  • Good luck on Friday Sparky, I am in the process myself, moving on Saturday.
    First time I've moved home and its quite a daunting prospect, seeing the family home sold off and all of my life either shredded, dumped or boxed. 
    It's also quite refreshing as I see this as a fresh start and a chance to de-clutter my life. 

Picking up the keys to the new flat Wednesday and then spending the following 3 days ripping up carpets, painting, plastering, laying new carpets, refitting the kitchen etc, ready to move in on Saturday.

Scary stuff!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Moving sucks balls, so good luck to you guys. Pro-tip: Make sure the kettle and tea making supplies are to hand to keep you going. Don't want to be digging around for those!
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • 3 days ripping up carpets, painting, plastering, laying new carpets, refitting the kitchen etc, ready to move in on Saturday.
    0_0
    That's a lot of work for 3 days, you are gonna be completely destroyed by the end of it all. Well worth doing it that way though if you can.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    IT BEGINS.

Right, i'll see you on Wednesday when I hopefully have Internet again. Best of luck to all who are moving too, it's a right clart on.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's been a fucker of a time, but worth it in the end.

IMAG0219.jpg

If that doesn't put you in the mood for Christmas nothing will.
  • That's amazing.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Yeah. Other people's hair clogging the plug hole not in shot, obviously.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That app is getting a proper work out isn't it?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Yes, everything is now Christmasified.
  • Oh, it's an app, I was just about to offer a job to ol' pieface in artwork 'cos of his leet pshop skills...

Congrats on the move Sparky lad, it looks like the whole footprint of my cottage would fit in your back garden.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    A23F5CDA-C4DC-4DD0-B683-59B10F1E5EAD-5915-000006F823773633.jpg

Who needs pshop?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That pint pot looks like a test tube in those giant mits. Good work again Frantic.
  • That's an easy one though, the antlers were already there for a kick off...
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    7B095AF1-9924-4609-99D8-0966F96163E9-5967-000006FC7F2946D1.jpg

I might need to pay 69p for the full app, I'm running out of new things to use.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Someone change the thread title. And tell Mod and his mate that the photo was taken in the middle of summer.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Is the house you moved to the one with the hot tub?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Aye. Bring your speedos next time you're up.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!