Assetto Corsa
‹ Previous12
  • Despite being named after a Vauxhall super mini I have high hopes!

The rest is place holder until desktop tomorrow

No private lobbies (so last gen)

Amazon have despatched mine!
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • Sounds amazing. Can't wait.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    I was massively looking forward to it until I found out about the lobbies and leaderboards, so now I'm only slightly looking forward to it.

It has the old long Monza banked circuit, so that's nice.
  • Bet this will be good with the wheel though, its all about the feels! I may be in if Bobs feedback is good.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Look shi....

Look forward to your impressions Bob.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Look shi....

I'm not expecting them to mix it with the big boys graphically ... The eurogamer piece really sold it to me on the feel. Race pro had the feel Project CARS nearly had it.

• Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii

Send message
    Some decent reviews coming in:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/assetto-corsa/critic-reviews

This guy mentions a bunch of screen-tearing, although that might be improved with the day one patch.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=0YBzNDY5hMk
  • Sounds like a set meal in a dodgy marbella resort.
  • it's a very challenging game to play well. If you're a seasoned racer, however, and don't mind the idea of putting in a lot of time and effort to get the most out of the game, you'll find Assetto Corsa, like its PC iteration, one of the best driving sims around

This sounds right up my street. I only wish I had more gaming time.. time for some early morning practice.
  • Doesn't sound very fun
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Amazon have emailed me a pre-order bonus code for the performance pack including Ferrari 488 GTB, Audi R8 V10 and Corvette C7 Stingray.

That sounds fun.
  • the pc version is good fun with a wheel, though i never really bothered with the career side and just messed about with multiplayer.  the Shelby Cobra was particularly fun with manual gears, sounded great and the back end got all lairy at the slightest touch of the accelerator.  also the Tatuus FA01 which is like a mini F1 car so you get nice handling in a more manageable package!
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Surely there is no reason for screen tearing in this gen? I couldn't believe it when I saw it in the One version of Sniper3. None on the PS4 version though :D
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • depends, if the game runs mainly at 60fps with the odd dip then that is probably a better experience than locking it 30fps and ensuring the frames are in synch with the screen refresh...
  • LtPidgeon wrote:
    Surely there is no reason for screen tearing in this gen? I couldn't believe it when I saw it in the One version of Sniper3. None on the PS4 version though :D

Theres always a reason for screen tearing if the game frame update is slower than the display refresh rate as Ram just said - Car games tout a 60fps target but on PC especially this can depend on your spec and vary wildly. Can't really be guaranteed all the time on anything, its quite a high rate and means particularly on consoles other things need to be cut, like graphics fidelity
  • LtPidgeon wrote:
    Surely there is no reason for screen tearing in this gen? I couldn't believe it when I saw it in the One version of Sniper3. None on the PS4 version though :D

Most serious PC racers will always have tearing* because they won't use vsync because of the input lag it introduces.  Admittedly, they will also probably be running at 120fps so the tearing is far less noticeable.

You could say the tearing in the PS4 is providing more of a purist approach.  It's not that obviously, it's the PS4 struggling, but you could say it...

As Ram says, tearing is better than locking to 30fps (but opinions vary on this), or switching between 30 and 60.
    * if they don't have a freesync, gsync monitor (which adjust to the framerate of the game)
  • Is input lag noticable when the game loop rate is higher than than the refresh rate (As in a 0.0165 or so second lag window?)
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    legaldinho wrote:
    Sounds like a set meal in a dodgy marbella resort.

You would bring that up...
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • LazyGunn wrote:
    Is input lag noticable when the game loop rate is higher than than the refresh rate (As
    in a 0.0165 or so second lag window?)

If game loop means the time to complete a frame, and that is slower than the refresh rate then turning off vsync won't make a massive difference - but far better than having vsync on, which is nasty if the game can't even match the display rate in the first place.  I was talking about PC in my example, where the game loop is much quicker than the refresh rate, not PS4, which is presumably struggling.

Some games have FFB restricted to the framerate so vsync isn't great here either.

Of course, I might not understand what you mean by game loop rate..

Personally, I think turning a steering wheel introduces enough lag to make input lag almost irrelevant but from experience, I'd rather play at a locked 120 fps, un-vsync than 60 vsync.  That's display speed related rather than input lag.
  • In this case I mean the gameplay logic loop which would read the input, at 60frames per second it's reading input every 0.0165 seconds which should be quite responsive but these days the input could be read several times per frame, and the period measured in milliseconds rather than frames. The image/graphics frame can be independent of that, and the physics independent of those too. I can imagine in the past, when things were locked to each other, v-sync could introduce lag but I don't imagine it would be a problem anymore.

V-sync protects against variable screen update rates over time as well as just the frame overwriting at the wrong time, which can be where screen tearing can become most uncomfortable

That said if your machine is consistently hitting a high fps and you're comfortable with it then there's nothing wrong with that. I hardly ever use v-sync and find it's the more hardcore gamers who notice the tearing so much
  • Whilst the conversation moves beyond my knowledge, just want to say that I don't think I've ever noticed screen tearing while playing a game...Maybe in videos and tech analysis, but not while actively playing (and enjoying) a game.
  • Ive never really had a problem with it either and I find heavy complaints about it quite odd. It's a big no in VR but pretty much everything in VR is v-synced to 70 or so fps anyways
  • LazyGunn wrote:
    In this case I mean the gameplay logic loop which would read the input, at 60frames per second it's reading input every 0.0165 seconds which should be quite responsive but these days the input could be read several times per frame, and the period measured in milliseconds rather than frames. The image/graphics frame can be independent of that, and the physics independent of those too. I can imagine in the past, when things were locked to each other, v-sync could introduce lag but I don't imagine it would be a problem anymore. V-sync protects against variable screen update rates over time as well as just the frame overwriting at the wrong time, which can be where screen tearing can become most uncomfortable That said if your machine is consistently hitting a high fps and you're comfortable with it then there's nothing wrong with that. I hardly ever use v-sync and find it's the more hardcore gamers who notice the tearing so much

Cool, I wasn't too far off then.  The modern racing games read input at 300Hz or more.  So quite a few times per frame.
  • Amazon giveth, Amazon Taketh away. They have emailed to say it's going to be late :(
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii

Send message
    I fuckin' love this BTW.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii

Send message
    Lobbies and leaderboards aside.
  • Birdorf wrote:
    I fuckin' love this BTW.

It sounded like it would appeal to us, so I'm pleased u like it, means I will.
  • First impressions ... Not good.

Do you remember when the boners said Driveclub looked like a ps2 game?

This looks like the pack of fiat 500s in front of me are scaled sprites 

And maybe dirt has spoiled me but it's a bit jerky for 60 fps,

Maybe there is a day five patch
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii

Send message
    Aye, compared to dirt this looks like a bag of shite, but the feels you get using a wheel are sublime and I think my eyes might be glossing over a lot of stuff. I'm playing in bumper-cam, which probably helps, but I'm barely noticing the screen tearing and slowdown now.
  • I'm playing in bumper cam with a pad and there's on feedback at all. No weight, the cake was a lie,
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!