Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    For forcing my hand, I really didn't appreciate its very last bit.

Spoiler:

I watched a bit of A Fistful of Dynamite earlier and I'd forgotten how simple and heavy-handed its story is, and yet it's light-years ahead of Rockstar in its presentation and respect for the viewer. They can't digitise Steiger.
  • Agree with both shabby and escape. Stretched, some really poor choices at the end.

Overall, it was a good romp though.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I really liked that ending but then I think I remember feeling on the same page as the character. I was the same during The Last of Us.

I could see the issue if you weren't but I also like that they stuck to the story they wanted to tell. I don't remember the second part of your spoiler though, been too long.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    A large part of my reasoning was curiosity for how well modern games accommodate intellectual input ahead of physical. I was prepared for disappointment and duly served.

Thing is, if you can't find ways to offer and accept players' choices on a beyond-superficial level, gaming's interactive advantage is lost in the shadows of any decent storytelling. I'm not down on stories in games because I don't believe in them, I'm down 'cause they peaked twenty years ago and haven't come close to fulfilling their promise on the interactive side since.

I'm still gonna say Grim Fandango if you ask me for my favourite story in a game. Because interwoven through mood if nothing else, it was slightly united to its gameplay. The Last of Us' story was predominantly a bolt-on to regular zombie TPSing.
  • I'll be day one for this - loved RDR and played to the end, then bought Undead Nightmare which was brilliantly pulpy and OTT. I must go back and finish that though - is it BC?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I loved RDR but not for the story. Marsden was probably one of the few Rockstar characters I liked playing as, but ending aside the story is very light. What I did like was the environment itself. Beautiful in both nature and man made objects, it was so atmospheric. There was also nice incidental stuff. I love touches of gothic in the normal, so stuff like the man in the hat was great.

Gamewise, I thought they got a lot right with the feel of the controls. Probably because there was no machine guns, the snap aim works as you are a little more limited. The horse riding worked great. Some other stuff maybe less so but I dont remember fighting the controls at any point. 

I'm resigned to not looking at new home console to be honest as my wii u has definitely made me realise that the switch would be the more logical step up (I play the wii u quite a bit and its near exclusively on gamepad mode) but this would be a game to make me think twice. But then I said that about Arkham Knight and while my pc runs it fine, turns out it wasn't worth the wait (or a new console)
    SFV - reddave360
  • It's not a return to the superior Revolver, so I'm out.
  • Really enjoyed the original too. It was during a row of '8' edge rated games on the xbox that kept me massively entertained. Red dead revolver, psi ops, pop:sands (that maybe was a 9?) Second sight... good times
    SFV - reddave360
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Revolver's a real rose-tinter. You just run along corridors shooting mans until you get to each arena boss.

Redemption still has the best skyboxes and most realistic colouring. I stopped to admire the view about as much in Breath of the Wild, but there's less detail in that, and despite — or in my case, because of — its fantasy setting I found it less evocative. You can stall your horse on top of a mountain in Redemption and feel the dry, dusty heat of the West's beautifully intense nature. It's intro-Clint-on-a-horse roleplaying.

The wagon's wheels come off during cutscenes and missions. It's not a great game. As ever, I welcome multiplayer as the best workaround so far.

I've mentioned several times over the years that I'd love Naughty Dog to take this poster as the inspiration for a Western in the style of Uncharted 2:

Johnny_Yuma.png
  • I'm very keen to see some actual gameplay footage. Rockstar always know how to put out good screenies. Not that GTA5 was a bad looking game at all but those early screenshots for that were super shmick.

Find some gta5 screenshots from a decent pc its insane https://www.reddit.com/r/GrandTheftAutoV/
  • I think Shabby is talking about the quality divide between the early bullshots and the original 360/PS3 release, rather than the 5 month later release of the souped up PC version
  • Redemption was janky as hell. I encountered some really terrible glitches whilst playing. Enough to make me bin it.
  • Who was it that burnt the disc or something? Andy?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yes.
    Redemption was janky as hell. I encountered some really terrible glitches whilst playing. Enough to make me bin it.

I played it around a year after launch, so it had presumably been patched multiple times.  Not excusing what is quite well known as a buggy game, but my experience of it was as near as dammit (damn it?) to glitch free.
  • RDR was for me one of the pinnacle games of the PS3 era. Immense. That bit half way through where a certain song plays after a critical moment is one of gaming's great moments for me. Up there with walking out into Hyrule Field in Ocarina a generation before. A generation-defining moment.

That said, we all know North & South on the Amiga is the best 'western' game going:

https://youtu.be/Mvh8nuvEovA
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Tell that to Amiga-denying @Roujin
  • Escape wrote:
    Revolver's a real rose-tinter.

I would tend to agree.

I would tend to agree, if I didn't still play it. Which I do. And that's more than can be said for Revolution, which I have destroyed multiple copies of.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I'm not saying that it doesn't have merits, but when I played it last year it was glaringly sixth-gen in structure.
  • Weren't the bugs in rdr graphical in nature? Any actual game breakers?
  • I had all sorts. I had a fast travel wagon and horses mount a house and get stuck sideways, forcing me to quit, I had horses floating in midair over canyons, NPC's running about at a million miles an hour, scenery failing to load, you name it.

To be fair, if there's a glitch to be found in a game, it'll happen to me.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I think Shabby is talking about the quality divide between the early bullshots and the original 360/PS3 release, rather than the 5 month later release of the souped up PC version

yeh.

Plus there's been some amazing modding done for GTA5 with the graphics. Doesn't mean it runs well though.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    For some reason my save in rdr just vanished and there was no way I was starting over. Pity, because I liked it.
  • I only actually did 2% of the sp campaign but sunk a shitload of time into mp, competitive and free roaming. Was a highlight of last gen for sure. I'm actually keen to play the sp before 2 drops - any word on if 2 is a continuation or separate entity entirely?
  • I played and enjoyed the SP until got into mexico...at which point the usual rockstar/GTA fatigue set in and i got bored and stopped.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    I only actually did 2% of the sp campaign but sunk a shitload of time into mp, competitive and free roaming. Was a highlight of last gen for sure. I'm actually keen to play the sp before 2 drops - any word on if 2 is a continuation or separate entity entirely?

My guessing without doing any research is its a prequel.

• Subtle spoiler? Not that I'm bothered.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    They might be subtly joined, not sure what to say really

Would heavily imagine it to be like GTA, same universe, different location, different protaganist

(which reminds me of that moment in GTAIV (maybe San An) where you bump into old pixelhead from GTA3
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Subtle spoiler? Not that I'm bothered.

It's an outright guess. I have no reason for thinking that other than that's what I think.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!