NieR Automata - New game from PlatinumGames
  • PS4 only isn't it?

I've only hit a couple of bosses (including that one) and they don't feel too spongey. Get some solid combos in and their health goes down quick.
  • PS4 and PC. I believe "console exclusive" is the standard term used this gen.
  • And, seriously, this soundtrack. The game is good - not the best game ever, but still good - but this soundtrack is absolute amazeballs. Struggling to think of a game with a better OST.

Fuck, that's high praise. I had the Black Box edition on preorder at one point. Cancelled it cos money. Oh well. £180 was a bit steep, but it comes with a disc of orchestral tracks from both games. I think. Or insetting.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Here's a blast from the past. It hits you instantly when you exit the home village. You're mostly running around killing sheep (don't ask) at this point.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • NG+ Completed. Glorious.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    I've still gotta get FF which will be my next when it's a chalice.

I got it for a chalice the other day! Played it once lol. Are you doing Nioh Dan?
  • You playing on normal or hard cinty?
  • TheDJR wrote:
    I've still gotta get FF which will be my next when it's a chalice.

I got it for a chalice the other day! Played it once lol. Are you doing Nioh Dan?

A friend is gonna lend me it soon, need to finish Last Guardian first.
  • You playing on normal or hard cinty?

Started on normal as I worried an rpg on hard would mean grinding. Difficulty does increase in NG+ and ++, but it's not overly difficult. Once this is done I'll probably take hard for a ride.
  • Silke wrote:
    Here's a blast from the past. It hits you instantly when you exit the home village. You're mostly running around killing sheep (don't ask) at this point.

Weirdly enough, my appreciation of Automata's soundtrack led me to listen to that very song you posted today. Also got the rest of that soundtrack - some gorgeous tunes there, too. Think I'll try to check out the rest of his games after this.
  • Have you seen the metacritic?

It's scoring better than Horizon so far.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • 93 reviews vs 4 reviews though so the comparison is meaningless, no?
  • Not meaningless I don't think.

Early days but very encouraging at the very least.

Zelda reviews have changed things though. Not going to be playing anything else for the foreseeable if it's as good as everyone's saying.

Will pick this up later now.

• @shabby

Yeah...I probably shouldn't have said I completed this. I mean I did, and I got a trophy, but when you "complete" this game you really don't complete this game. I'd argue "NG+" isn't really optional for this one.
  • And done, done. For real this time. There's still stuff I wanna do, but the game is actually completed.

Total play time:
    Spoiler:

And...

Here is a review for Nier: Automata - there are spoilers in here, so please be warned - i’m not gonna dance around stuff. It just makes things sound muddled and unclear. There are a lot of things I don’t talk about, but to understand what makes the game so good there are some things I can’t NOT talk about. So yeah, SPOILERS!!!!
    Spoiler:

A quick summary for those who don’t want things plot points, locations or events spoiled - there’s just a structural spoiler in here:
    Spoiler:
  • @shabby

Yeah...I probably shouldn't have said I completed this. I mean I did, and I got a trophy, but when you "complete" this game you really don't complete this game. I'd argue "NG+" isn't really optional for this one.

Yeah I saw. I'm making my way through it. I'm sure I could be smashing the quests as quickly possible but I'm doing a lot of exploring too. I was always planning on playing it however many times you needed to complete it to complete it. Looking forward to it. I'm playing on normal but am tempted to bump to hard. Maybe just on ng+
  • Gonna get £5 off Game with voucher they gave me when I got Swutxbbthis morning, tradenin 2 gamesnikl dog out for extra credit, and maybe use my Game revealed points and get this steel book edition for peanuts.
  • is this a cocko i see before me
  • @shabby

Yeah I saw. I'm making my way through it. I'm sure I could be smashing the quests as quickly possible but I'm doing a lot of exploring too. I was always planning on playing it however many times you needed to complete it to complete it. Looking forward to it. I'm playing on normal but am tempted to bump to hard. Maybe just on ng+

Where you up to?
  • @shabby

Where you up to?

I am about 9 hours in
    Spoiler:
  • I've annoyingly not had many extended play sessions so only been an hour or 2 here and there.
  • @shabby

Where you up to?

I am about 9 hours in
    Spoiler:

Nice. Coming along well, then.

Also, I started the game on hard. It's, er, hard! As in, harder than the demo. You've also got to do the entire first section without dying, which is tough as you'll die in 2 hits (1 from bosses), or you'll have to start the whole game again. Just wasted an hour trying to do the prologue...
  • Sounds like Bayonetta's intro.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Sounds like Bayonetta's intro.

Yeah there's loads of mechanical similarities with Bayonetta in this game, from dodges to gameplay switches etc. Luckily enough, that also seems to fit the Nier brief.

Given that I enjoyed Bayo, I see this as a good thing. I'm tempted now to try to get my hands on Nier and the Drakengard games, now that I see what all the fuss is about.
  • More reviews coming out now - seems to be going down really, really well.
  • From Polygon:
    The night that I first finished NieR: Automata I slept soundly. The night that I actually finished NieR: Automata I hardly slept at all.

I had that high, that nervous energy, that hum in the back of my head that comes from an overtired brain trying to absorb an experience that was so much bigger than it initially seemed.

It’s been a few days, and I’ll admit I’m still humming.

Destructoid:
    NieR: Automata is nearly as good of an RPG as it is an action game, which is a mighty tall order. It's tough to really strike that balance as many action-RPGs tend to favor one element over the other, but Platinum Games, with the help of Square Enix, has tapped into its innate ability to captivate us with combat while keeping the rest of the journey engaging.

Gamespot also rated it highly. IGN did too, but fuck IGN.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    http://www.digitallydownloaded.net/2017/03/review-nier-automata-greatest-game-ever.html

Has to be the first videogame review I've read where the author manages to cite or simply name drop everything from Samuel Beckett and Albert Camus to Kierkegaard and Orson Welles.

Still, it's worth a read because the guy definitely thinks about the concepts and depth of narrative that Yoko Taro always provides.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • Insane review scores coming through!

I'll be Zeldering for the foreseeable, but definitely next on my list.
  • More reviews coming out now - seems to be going down really, really well.
    Yes. That'll do nicely.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!