Sport Club Greek Mega Thread
  • Personally think Man City should be given a six point deduction. Not for the pitch invasion, but for this

nkWRvu4.jpeg

Or at least phone child services, Bernardos, something please. Fuck me.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    Send them back.
    does this include US-led business consortia? asking for a friend
    Probably not. 50+1 rule and much stricter (or actually enforced) limitations on spending as a sustainable proportion of income. Then if the fans want to sell the acquirable stake to US MegaSports Inc, that's on them. They wouldn't be able to inject huge sums of money into the club, skewing competition. But they might be better placed to exploit global merchandising or whatever. 

Football has always been distorted by money. One of the first seasons I got into it, Blackburn 'bought the league.' And Man City's success isn't completely out there in terms of how dominant teams can get. So a lot of the Man City talk is overblown.
  • Couple of real haircuts up there.
  • It’s too late for any of that now anyway. Like nearly everything else in this country, it’s been sold off and won’t be coming back.
  • Depressingly true at least in short / medium term

I’m not sure the city talk is overblown though. The tweet about how much city would’ve won the league by over last 6 seasons or whatever was sobering. Has any team been that dominant over third place and the rest during pl era?
  • Imma check out utd points from nineties through 2000s to see if can identify similar patterns
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Depressingly true at least in short / medium term I’m not sure the city talk is overblown though. The tweet about how much city would’ve won the league by over last 6 seasons or whatever was sobering. Has any team been that dominant over third place and the rest during pl era?

Gap to 3rd, Premier League era

92/93 Man Utd 12 points
    93/94 Man Utd 15 points
    94/95 Blackburn 12 points
    95/96 Man Utd 11 points
    96/97 Man Utd 7 points
    97/98 Arsenal 13 points
    98/99 Man Utd 4 points
    99/00 Man Utd 21 points
    00/01 Man Utd 11 points
    01/02 Arsenal 10 points
    02/03 Man Utd 14 points
    03/04 Arsenal 15 points
    04/05 Chelsea 18 points
    05/06 Chelsea 9 points
    06/07 Man Utd 21 points
    07/08 Man Utd 4 points
    08/09 Man Utd 7 points
    09/10 Chelsea 11 points
    10/11 Man Utd 9 points
    11/12 Man City 19 points
    12/13 Man Utd 14 points
    13/14 Man City 4 points
    14/15 Chelsea 12 points
    15/16 Leicester 11 points
    16/17 Chelsea 15 points
    17/18 Man City 23 points
    18/19 Man City 26 points
    19/20 Liverpool 33 points
    20/21 Man City 17 points
    21/22 Man City 19 points
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'd say the evidence is conclusive of something
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The best team is better than the third best.

I am analysis.
  • Personally think Man City should be given a six point deduction. Not for the pitch invasion, but for this

nkWRvu4.jpeg

Or at least phone child services, Bernardos, something please. Fuck me.

Gav is just jealous of these two fine boys tome-proofed hairline. This is a case of pure hairjel
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Has permiaN left the forum?
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • I'd say the evidence is conclusive of something
    thank goodness for City in 19/20 otherwise Liverpool would have made a right mockery of the league?
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • There's nine years there where only two teams won it (Man Utd and the Arse). Only 7 teams have ever won it. And of those 7, three of them only once. And of those three, two will (I confidently predict) never win it again. And it's still probably the most open of the major leagues.
  • Well, the data trends up and stays up from 2017/2018 onwards as ManC's and Liverpool's dominance of the league really kicks in.

So I suppose it depends on what is meant by "open".

If it means: chance of winning it, I'd say not (which is I think what you say above) - it's about as closed as during the Real/Barca heyday, or actually Celtic/Rangers - can anyone really foresee a club catching up from this far behind in the next season or two without the kind of cash injection a Saudi sovereign fund or Russian billionaire can provide?

If it means: smaller clubs winning against the anointed two is not as much of a shock in prem league as other big leagues then maybe, possibly. Again more data needed but I'd be interested in how that trend has gone in Italy, Spain, Germany, even France as PSG stutter. Certainly recently that trend is towards more slip ups and more competitiveness over there, and less over here, I'd wager

In short I don't agree it's the most open league using either of those definitions. is there another or is the above contested?
  • You're just going on the past 5 years though. You could have said from mid 90s to early 2000s that it was like La Liga or Scots Prem as only two teams were winning it then. But those teams are different than the two at the top now. While the previously dominant two are scrapping it out in the Europa places. You don't get that in those leagues.

It'd be nice if there were 4 or 5 teams in with a shout of winning it, but I don't know if it's ever been like that. Not in the past 30 odd years I've been watching it. The gap between the top two and the rest is wider than it has been before though.
  • AC Milan just won the scudetto with the lowest wage bill by far of the big 5 champions. They're actually right now "owned" by the hedge fund the previous owner (Chinese "billionaire") took loans out with. Fair play to them for getting it together though. Great scouting got them there.
  • Ah wait so by 'open' you meant - historically, even with so few winners and runners-up, it's still the most open league possibly, due to overall number of winners? Will check out other leagues list of winners in last 30 or so years.

Because we clearly agree on the first definition I used - 'many teams have a chance of winning it' - that has been low since inception, with only 3 seasons having a 4 point gap to 3rd, which seems common to many top leagues.

On the second definition I used - 'competitiveness, or chance of lower placed team of beating top 2' - that I think used to be the case, but in the last 6 years or so has really decreased. Look at total points of 1st and 2nd in those years - I'd wager that most of the 2nd team's points totals would have won the league on many occasions in the previous 20 years. It's certainly more of a shock now when Liverpool or ManC get beaten.

edit: or maybe that's just recency bias in action? there was that long unbeaten run by Arsenal, similarly long home unbeaten by ManU, and of course Chelsea's dominance for a couple of seasons and an amazing home unbeaten record; so maybe I'm just talking bollocks as usual
  • Well in that period, Man United have split those teams twice. I can see Chelsea getting involved next season too.
  • German league: 6 winners in last 30 years
    Italian league: 5
    French league: 10
    Spanish league: 5

So, 7 seems OK there but not particularly stand out
  • Yeah on the second definition, it seems less open now. What I remember Fergie-era Man Utd doing a lot of is doing well but not outstandingly, then finding an extra gear and being almost invincible for about 3/4s of the season. Now, it's that but from the first game until the last.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Plot points per million spent per season per club. That'll give you your trends.
  • i think the top teams 20 years ago were just as dominant in their ability, they just dropped points more often as they weren't 'doping' to the same extent the current top boys do to maintain the efforts for every game of the season. Also bigger stronger squads mean less drop off when a couple of players are missing.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • doping as in drugs / dodginess?

or doping as in financial doping?

or both

Anyway after an exhaustive statistical research session, I've concluded that there is a mild trend towards lower competitiveness in the league (defined by chances of a lower positioned team beating one of the top 2 at the end of the season): before 2016/2017 the top two would lose an average of 11 between them, compared to 9 since then. However it's not difficult to find another 6 year period in which that average is lower - 2002 until 2009, a larger sample, comes back with just over 8 games lost. So that's meaninglessly mild / remains to be seen.

Average points to win the league is about 2 higher than it was pre 2017, which is actually slightly skewed lower delta, due to Chelsea's two seasons of >90 points and ManU's comeback in 2006 - if you take those out, it's more like 4 points, and the last 6 seasons have seen 5 of the highest 6 ever points totals, with the team coming second during that period winning the league 3 times on average pre 2017 points totals (which happens only twice in all previous seasons)

So it seems: 

the top two teams are drawing away from the rest, slightly - in terms of total points - probably because they are drawing less and winning more, rather than losing less.
    But that slightly is enough to make things less interesting as they pull away faster and stay away more consistently, and the gap to the rest is certainly bigger on average in the last 7 years than it has been in any other similar period in the PL.

the question now is: will that trend continue? Or will ManC implode / Liverpool get tired / Chelsea or Newcastle get loads more money to spend / Utd stay awful forever
  • Actually revised question

will I get a real job and also a life
  • You could also put the current situation down to two teams really having their shit together, versus other teams not having their shit together.

Man U, Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea could be pushing City and Liverpool much closer with the right managers, recruitment, philosophy, or whatever in place, but they haven't been able to get it right for one reason or another.

It's not just that the top 2 are steaming ahead, it's that the rest have fallen behind.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Only counting the results from the second half of the season, Newcastle are third. Some of those teams are definitely underperforming
  • Yeah but one of those teams is Spurs so you can’t expect much.
  • JonB wrote:
    You could also put the current situation down to two teams really having their shit together, versus other teams not having their shit together. Man U, Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea could be pushing City and Liverpool much closer with the right managers, recruitment, philosophy, or whatever in place, but they haven't been able to get it right for one reason or another. It's not just that the top 2 are steaming ahead, it's that the rest have fallen behind.

This is correct - and Man Utd have shown how you can keep your shit together over a very long time - and though well-funded, they were nowhere near the levels of investment unfairness (even proportionally to contemporary expenditure) of Chelsea ManC and others

Consistent manager with strong vision, leadership and charisma; working closely with club leaders and recruitment personnel, taking interest in youth development and able to adapt tactics and gameplan based on opponents, evolving first team, and fashion

Chelsea's rather chaotic approach has yielded great success but never over a decently long period, instead staccato success and huge injections of cash
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Me da, 40+ year season ticket holder (except when he lived in the States obv)

jNAgF19.jpeg
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    PLEASE LEAVE THE PITCH IMMEDIATELY

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!