Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • g.man wrote:
    I haven't see that one yet, no.

I still think that it could have been quite good if they let him make the movie he wanted to make. 
    Apparently he wanted to make a body horror style movie in the vein of Cronenberg which I think would suit the origin of the characters. You get a glimpse of the kind of movie it could have been in the one good sequence of the movie that involves the bad guy and a nice steadycam shot.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I saw Iron Man once; wasn't great. The bits with Paltrow were worse.
  • I like the Marvel films. I struggle to understand how anyone can find them confusing or not remember character names; they're not complicated stories. Comes across like people are trying to be too cool for school.
  • Superman 2 was good and Lee's The Hulk was excellent, even though nobody else I know likes it.
  • I also like Lee's Hulk. And Jennifer Connelly.
  • JRPC wrote:
    Now I'm not trying to say that anybody here isn't "cleaver enough" to get Captain America or anything like that, but there are things in some of these films I consider to be proper bloody brilliant and either those things aren't really there or some people just aren't seeing them.
    I'm sure they are there, but if/when I see them they don't mean anything to me. It's even that the same things which make these films special for you are the things that sometimes make them over-inflated and dull for me. The big films seem to have got longer and longer as they have to go over so much stuff and fit it all together or introduce yet another character, and while you're hanging off every word I'm zoning out and wishing they'd just get on with it.
  • I caught half an hour of BvS the other night, which I've managed to avoid so far. It was even worse than I thought it would be. I watched from Lex (awful) at the party with Bruce & Clarke up to about the bit where Bruce has a Darkseid vision in the desert.

It was all uniformly dire, featuring slow mo, superjesus, over acting and DARKNESS.

I think I might have to watch it all now.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    Those infinity stones aren't well-used. They're just anonymous space magic maggufins. The casual viewer isn't going to pick up on the fact that blue macguffin from Captain America which they saw 6 years ago is the same type of macguffin as Yellow Macguffin in Avengers 2 and a blue space baddie has a magic glove and wants all the mcguffins for himself. Edit:- I couldnt decide how to spell McGuffin there so went for a scattershot approach.

This is on the nose. I'm more familiar with a lot of the characters than many viewers, but I've read very few of the comics or graphic novels. I was totally unaware that infinity stones had been featuring in the films for so long. Even being told that, I can't think of what part they've played in any of the films. If we're supposed to have noticed and retained this information, they've done a fuck-awful job of it.

I doubt the kids in the audience have picked up on it, either.

If you need to have noticed and retained this information, then yes, they're doing a terrible job. However, I genuinely cannot see any reason at all why knowing the back stories of these stones would be remotely important for the final film.
  • Superman 2 was good and Lee's The Hulk was excellent, even though nobody else I know likes it.

There's a small group of us here that really like Ang Lee's The Hulk, I think.

Probably one of my fave superhero movies, if not my favourite.
  • I want to like it more than I actually do.

I love the comic book visual style, I love the idea of what they're doing and I'm actually in love Jennifer Connolly.

But it is in all fairness a little bit boring.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • A million times better than Incredible Hulk though. 

That was dreadful.

I forget it's even part of the cannon at this point.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
    There's a small group of us here that really like Ang Lee's The Hulk, I think. Probably one of my fave superhero movies, if not my favourite.
    Yeah, I remember liking that.
  • Apart from myself, chump, cinty, jonb and shabby, hardly anyone likes Hulk.
  • JRPC wrote:
    A million times better than Incredible Hulk though. 

That was dreadful.

I forget it's even part of the cannon at this point.
    It always surprises me that it's part of phase 1 and came out after Iron Man 1. Feels like it was about 5 years before.
    At this point it's clear it's not cannon; they've disowned it and are sticking with Ruffalo Hulk, not Norton Hulk.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Apart from myself, chump, cinty, jonb and shabby, hardly anyone likes Hulk.

Hello
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm loading up the canon cannon. Who do we put in
  • Apart from myself, chump, cinty, jonb and shabby, hardly anyone likes Hulk.

I liked it.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Me too.
  • I remember liking Ang's Hulk too.
    I've enjoyed a fair few Marvel films. Wasn't really until they started tying them all together that the quality started nosediving imo.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Gremill wrote:
    I caught half an hour of BvS the other night, which I've managed to avoid so far. It was even worse than I thought it would be. I watched from Lex (awful) at the party with Bruce & Clarke up to about the bit where Bruce has a Darkseid vision in the desert.

It was all uniformly dire, featuring slow mo, superjesus, over acting and DARKNESS.

Unfortunately Zack Snyder is directing the Justice League movie as well, so we know that will tank. You'd have thought after the critical panning of BvS and Suicide Squad that DC and the associated studio would have learnt their lessons, somehow I doubt it. The director for wonder woman doesnt have much of a track record either.
  • g.man wrote:
    I remember liking Ang's Hulk too. I've enjoyed a fair few Marvel films. Wasn't really until they started tying them all together that the quality started nosediving imo.
    Yeah, plus there's just so many of them now it's hard for it to feel fresh anymore.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The first two Toby McGuire Spiderman films were great. There was no continuous universe shit and they caught the feel of the character well. I couldn't even be bothered torrenting the latest Marvel films, that's how boring they've got.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I thought Ang Lee's Hulk was abysmal. I thought falling asleep in the cinema was just a myth until I went to see that film. The bits I was awake for were poor too, Hulk v Poodle ffs.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Gremill wrote:
    I caught half an hour of BvS the other night, which I've managed to avoid so far. It was even worse than I thought it would be. I watched from Lex (awful) at the party with Bruce & Clarke up to about the bit where Bruce has a Darkseid vision in the desert.

Unfortunately Zack Snyder is directing the Justice League movie as well, so we know that will tank. You'd have thought after the critical panning of BvS and Suicide Squad that DC and the associated studio would have learnt their lessons, somehow I doubt it. The director for wonder woman doesnt have much of a track record either.

The much fabled "course correction" that resulted in a japes loaded first Justice League trailer was sadly not in place to sort out Wonder Woman. Patty Jenkins has (I think) directed Game of Thrones which I'd say gives her the tools to do a superhero film.
    I think the quietness around Wonder Woman is rather telling however, and doubt there will be much celebration behind it.
  • Right, so apart from myself, chump, cinty, jonb, reg, yoss, gman, grem and shabby, I think I can safely say basically nobody likes Hulk.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Right, so apart from myself, chump, cinty, jonb, reg, yoss, gman, grem and shabby, I think I can safely say basically nobody likes Hulk.

I think tempy likes it

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!