Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Interesting if they don't ever name Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch explicitly in dialogue - they had to make an agreement with Fox to use those because they fall under the X-Men license, perhaps it's a contractual thing.

They can use them as long as they are never referred to as mutants, and we don't talk about their daddy, because

JTTwF8K.png

They aren't named, but there are nods. Hawkeye calls Pietro "a quick little bastard", and Stark tells Hulk "the little witch is messing with your mind".
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Also enjoyed Lee's Hill a lot. Same goes for Burton 's Batman.

Haven't seen of remembered much of the recent stuff, saw the first GotG last week and that was just entertaining enough.
  • They aren't named, but there are nods. Hawkeye calls Pietro "a quick little bastard", and Stark tells Hulk "the little witch is messing with your mind".
    Also, Scarlet Witch is the one who wears red and does red magic. Quicksilver is the one who is fast and wears a silver colour top.
    Falcon is the one who has wings, and Black Panther is the one whose costume looks like a black panther.

I mean, seems pretty straight up and down to me. If folk aren't fans and don't like fan service in films, probably best avoid films that have it, eh?
  • djchump wrote:
    They aren't named, but there are nods. Hawkeye calls Pietro "a quick little bastard", and Stark tells Hulk "the little witch is messing with your mind".
    Also, Scarlet Witch is the one who wears red and does red magic. Quicksilver is the one who is fast and wears a silver colour top.
    Falcon is the one who has wings, and Black Panther is the one whose costume looks like a black panther.

I mean, seems pretty straight up and down to me. If folk aren't fans and don't like fan service in films, probably best avoid films that have it, eh?
    Don't be daft, then they won't be able to whinge about how much they dislike them.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I guess it might be a bit confusing that Hawkeye isn't dressed like a hawk, And neither Black Widow nor Spider-Man have 8 legs. Black Widow isn't even black, and I don't recall them ever mentioning a dead spouse in the films.
  • djchump wrote:

Fan service is one thing, and there's an argument that it doesn't matter whether or not you know the names, but the difficulty is that, at times, the films expect you to know things that they haven't told you. It's clear from the budget and marketing that these films aren't just aimed at dyed-in-the-wool Marvel fans who already know who all these people are, so it's an unfair expectation.

Or you could be a dick about it.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Interesting if they don't ever name Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch explicitly in dialogue - they had to make an agreement with Fox to use those because they fall under the X-Men license, perhaps it's a contractual thing.

Also it doesn't make sense to name them in the heat of battle.
  • Andy wrote:
    at times, the films expect you to know things that they haven't told you.
    No they don't.
    Andy wrote:
    Or you could be a dick about it.
    /shrug
    If people who find superhero films boring and confusing and stupid continue to insist on watching them and then complain about how boring and confusing and stupid they are, then I'll continue to have a giggle taking the piss out of them.

They're fun films for kids, they ain't complex. "But they don't give me everything on a plate!" - yeah, good. I like that in a film.
  • It comes back to different audiences.

I've nothing against super hero films and have enjoyed some of those that focus on a self-contained story and a few characters. I find the others increasingly boring. But other people like the bloat of an expanded universe, so good for them.

Is it possible to please both sides at the same time? I don't know.

But yeah, I just won't watch them all anymore.

(Edit: although then there's another debate about how much they've taken over in the area of big budget/summer action films.)
  • Maybe Andy can create us all info packs to study before we go into the next Avengers film.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tbh I have found that because we (well, mostly my wife) are up on comics, the amount of knowledge to bone up on is absolutely fine - I read Civil War over a decade ago (also have a signed copy from Mark millar which will go in the vault).

However, it is absolutely a stretch asking Jo Six Pack to remember incidental details from 5-8 films ago. I can't think of another franchise outside of Harry Potter that has done it - even rogue One, as gumpf as it was (yeaaaahhhhh) gave you the tools to enjoy it on its own merits.

• The Fast films ask you to remember some stuff from old films that sometimes I struggle to connect the dots on.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I never forget who Han is
  • Han4lyfe
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I think it's very difficult to make a licensed film that has all the things the hardcore superdweebs want but has broad mass market appeal as well. Marvel does pretty well with it but you get trade-offs that leaves both groups with complaints. A beloved, seminal 12-issue story arc of your favourite character gets whittled down and fucked around with to the point that you wonder why they bothered even using that story. A character is chucked in because it's a story about Super White Guy so you have to have Flying Black Man in it but then not enough is done with him so he leaves little impression. The superdweebs are used to seeing their beloved franchises ground up in the Hollywood machine though. 

The trade off the casual viewer has to make is that not everything is clear and there's a lot of nonsense floating around. There's a lot that doesn't seem to serve the central story of 'Bad Man tries to do bad thing. Gets smacked in the face.'

I'm quite interested in how they handle it all tbh. Comics can have recaps, thought bubbles, captions, editors notes, five paragraphs of exposition in the middle of a fight scene without breaking up the flow. Films have none of these tricks and they have to create their own workarounds.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    We need the classic comic " * see issue 427"
  • (Superhero films are a bit confusing! Ed.)
  • I liked the bit where they somehow got Arnim Zola involved without being too ridiculous.

I do feel sorry for my wife, who has no real interest in any of these films but goes along with me. I go with my boss now to save her the pain.

He won't see 'Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0+1.0 (Final)' though so she still has that to look forward to.*

Edit: *when we're both 82 years old.
  • Arnim Zola
    Who?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • The Hydra Scientist who ends up being preserved as an AI on tape reels and last appeared in Winter Soldier - Ed.
  • g.man wrote:
    Arnim Zola
    Who?
    He signed for United in '08 but never got a good run in the side. Sold to Leon for a £2.5mil loss.
  • mindblown.gif
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • djchump wrote:
    If people who find superhero films boring and confusing and stupid continue to insist on watching them and then complain about how boring and confusing and stupid they are, then I'll continue to have a giggle taking the piss out of them.

If people continue to deliberately misread or misrepresent others views to suit their own purpose, I'll continue to point out that they're being a dick about it.
  • "Oh noes, who is this flying black man with bird wings?! Is it the same black man in the metal suit and the cat costume? I am confused because metal black man was a different black man in a previous film but maybe was recast, and white metal man is Sherlock Holmes but so is Dr Magic Manare they the same is Watson The Green Bigman?"
  • To capitalize on the popularity of these films, HMV's now all have a dedicated "Superheroes" A-Z, combining both the films and TV series' of all this nonsense.

Had a guy last week complain at me because we put the two Hulk movies under a backing board in the A-Z titled just "HULK", despite one of them being "The Incredible Hulk", which *should* be under I. (we don't count the The, or else all A-Z's would be top-heavy at the T area)

Fucking dick.
  • Sounds like a real Incredible Dork! - Ed.
  • Tempu why is your name Edward and what's that got to do with Toby Jones?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!