All your Homebase are belong to... you! / The House 'n' Home Thread.
  • Ha

Cheers guys.

My flat went on the market about 10 days ago. First viewing was Tuesday and first thing Wednesday morning I accepted their offer.

The place I/m buying went up the day after mine, yesterday was the earliest I could view. I wasn't actually planning on looking seriously for another week or two but this one came up and was pretty much perfect for what Im after.
    The previous owner has built a garden office which was high on my list to either have or have space for/an old school garage to knock down and replace. She has also done the whole knock down a wall to make a kitchen/living space thing. All of it done to a really high standard, higher than the level of property would really warrant.

There are some bits to do of course, a bit of decorating which is more a taste thing than anything. The bathroom is serviceable but dated so thats a mid-term project.

Went in with an asking price offer to get it off the market. If the price seems right I'm not one for nickel and diming for the sake of it.
  • I have been trying to get Solicitor quotes all day. What a fuck about but finally sorted.

If I tell them my property is leasehold and they have a charge for dealing with that is it not reasonable that they would put it in the quote and not buried in an encyclopaedia of potential additional charges?
    Cunts. Any solicitor who did that went straight in the bin.
  • Just catching up. Brilliant news Liv! Super pleased for you :)
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • …in other news, I put up new curtains in my living room today. Looks the business.
  • https://photos.app.goo.gl/6bzXB3nbQ8W49w7s6

Bit of pointing up to do, then they come back in the Spring to start with the turf.  It's been one hell of a transformation and I'm quite happy with it.  Still, I do look and think to myself, "Eighteen and a half thousand?".

x
  • Overall looking good Kris.

Please don't take this the wrong way though and if you're happy with it just scroll by, but snag wise I would be raising the following:

Get them to sort out the paving line out around your conservatory. It should just be a straight line.

Do you know if they put a drain in behind the retaining wall or are there any weep holes?

Those little bits of paving on the edges of the steps should not be there, a larger piece of stone shoukd have been used or two flags should have been cut in half .

That Mahoosive mortar joint where the step meets the wall should not be there. The brickwork should have been tied in or at least mitred neatly. I'd be aking them to redo it.

It looks like the front face of the step has not been pointed (this could be the element you were saying they were coming back to do though).
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The cost doesn't surprise me. I've been there. 

Re what Eric says- yeah - he could easily just have a straight line there were the stone is sitting at the corner of the conservatory. It's possible he ran out of flagstones.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • …in other news, today I purchased and assembled a lamp!
    You know you are in trouble when the lamp comes in a dozen pieces, and they include a spanner in the box.
    Also required an allen key. This however was not in the box.
    An hour and a half to assemble the bastard, but I’m pretty happy with the result.
  • Ta-da!

ICdDV7V.jpg
  • Won a watch on the price too. Bought online from John Lewis yesterday, and when I went to pick it up today I noticed on their website it now had 20% off in the sale, so JL being proper good with the old customer service, promptly refunded me the 20% when I picked it up. :)
  • We got a new lamp today too. Not sure where to put it yet.

4WLlMtS.jpg
  • That’s nice.
  • poprock wrote:
    We got a new lamp today too. Not sure where to put it yet.

4WLlMtS.jpg

That's a big, fucking light bulb!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Top lamp action.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ah Leon. Gets a giggle every time. "You gotta fire that limpy bitch" ffs.
  • S'up thread?

I want to get my spare room sorted out and get some proper storage and replace my current aging desk setup with something proper.

I'm considering getting something fitted so I can maximize the amount of storage and desk source available.

Had anyone be good any recommendations or experience with any of the fitted furniture companies such as Sharps, Wickes, etc?
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • HEY ROUJ.

Personally I think it’s best to just get a joiner in and go bespoke, especially as you’re a man quite capable of drawing something up and speccing it. BUT joiners are in short supply right now, and hard to get. So you might be on to something with a fitted furniture firm. Good luck.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Just installed a dishwasher. First ever. Is it relatively normal that a little water backs up into the sink? I mean normal as in not a serious problem. It might just be the S-bend causing a bit of slow down. If there is some blockage then it's probably in the piping out to the street and therefore a pain in the arse to get fixed.
  • The washing machine at my old flat used to do that.
    It was next to the sink and I think there just wasn't enough pipework in between to contain the water as it was ejected at pressure. It used to gurgle and just fall short of actually entering the sink.

If it was fully entering the sink I would probably look at doing something about it, getting a plumber to add a bit more drainage length I guess.
    I imagine a blockage could cause it to happen but likely it is the above.
  • Roujin wrote:
    S'up thread?

I want to get my spare room sorted out and get some proper storage and replace my current aging desk setup with something proper.

I'm considering getting something fitted so I can maximize the amount of storage and desk source available.

Had anyone be good any recommendations or experience with any of the fitted furniture companies such as Sharps, Wickes, etc?

I have no experience bit I've been looking for a fitted wardrobe solution recently and they all seem super expensive for what is essentially some IKEA cupboards with fascias. I agree with Pop, a good joiner of your going to spend the money and if you're not check out all the IKEA hacks for your wants.
  • I'm not sure this is the right thread?

Anyone on here live in West Sussex? We're thinking of relocating from London. Absolutely cacking myself about how big a decision this will potentially be, as it means our 4 and half year old changing schools etc.

There seems to be a lot of families making similar moves at the moment, particularly since hybrid/home working has become more common since lockdown.

I'm curious about how others have felt about such a move - not specifically Sussex, but from a City to small town/village.
  • Ta for the advice peeps! I will pursue the local joiner options! Maybe I could *gasp* do it myself, as I'm reasonably confident that I can could cut wood to size or just order stuff cut to size and assemble myself.

Thanks! Never would have thought about doing that really, I think I've been institutionalised from all the years of renting. I've been in the current place for coming up on 3 years and I still havent painted a single wall because my brain can't handle finally having the creative freedom to decorate somewhere how I would like instead of magnolia walls 4eva or fuck your deposit.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • semi pro tip - if you are going to do it yourself (either provide spec to joiner or cut wood and build cabinets / doors yourself), try and get the dimensions to match a common wardrobe supplier (like, for eg IKEA). You'll then be able to use their internal dividers, accessories etc very easily. We did this with our built in loft wardrobe and drawers, so were able to simply buy shelves, hanging units, accessory holders etc on the cheap and customise it easily
  • That's also a really good idea, ta Funk!
  • Woke up to a leaky roof. Yesterday Mrs Poprock’s car broke down. Fuck this weekend, quite frankly. February is shaping up to be a very expensive month and it’s only just started …

Y’know what though? I’m happy to be in a house instead of a flat. Knowing it’s our roof and we can get it fixed is a hell of a lot nicer than having to start endless negotiations with neighbours and absentee landlords and insurance companies.
  • poprock wrote:
    Woke up to a leaky roof. Yesterday Mrs Poprock’s car broke down. Fuck this weekend, quite frankly. February is shaping up to be a very expensive month and it’s only just started …

Y’know what though? I’m happy to be in a house instead of a flat. Knowing it’s our roof and we can get it fixed is a hell of a lot nicer than having to start endless negotiations with neighbours and absentee landlords and insurance companies.

Leaky roofs are horrible. When the flat roof in our bathroom started leaking we were quite lucky that 1. We'd already booked someone to refurbish the whole thing and 2. The leak was directly over the sink.

PSN : time_on_my_hands

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!