All your Homebase are belong to... you! / The House 'n' Home Thread.
  • Not to be confused with a Prince Albert.
  • Best page turn of the day. Hats off to you, Dante.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Anybody know any simple apps/pc software to help me plan out a new bed

Given space constraints and the fact that the landlady is precious about some of her furniture, I want the adult equivalent of a cabin bed, only needs about 3.5 to 4 foot clearance underneath it, enough to hang clothing, create extra space, and stash a chest of drawers out of sight. However I can find nothing on the market. So I'm think of picking up some box section steel and having it delivered cut and pre-drilled. Just need to work out what those measurements might be. Ideally something that also allows me to recreate other pieces of furniture and lay out the room in different formats would be ideal
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Anybody know any simple apps/pc software to help me plan out a new bed

Given space constraints and the fact that the landlady is precious about some of her furniture, I want the adult equivalent of a cabin bed, only needs about 3.5 to 4 foot clearance underneath it, enough to hang clothing, create extra space, and stash a chest of drawers out of sight. However I can find nothing on the market. So I'm think of picking up some box section steel and having it delivered cut and pre-drilled. Just need to work out what those measurements might be. Ideally something that also allows me to recreate other pieces of furniture and lay out the room in different formats would be ideal

SketchUp is a good shout. I use it all the time for stuff like that.
  • When Zinthos lived with me, his room was tiny, so he put his double bed above the door. If I remember rightly, one corner had a pole supporting it, and the other corners were fixed to the wall.

And yes, I am rather proud of that page turn.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    The room isn;t a bad size I'm just being a prick about wanting separate my sleeping area even further. Plus the wardrobe in this room is tiny so hanging space under a bed would be useful, along with stashing ugly furniture under there. Was toying with going very high with bed but I don;t think it's really needed. Cheers Uncle will have a look at that
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    When Zinthos lived with me, his room was tiny, so he put his double bed above the door. If I remember rightly, one corner had a pole supporting it, and the other corners were fixed to the wall.

And yes, I am rather proud of that page turn.

I hope he was a light sleeper.
  • The Brixton flat was really nice you guys, and i just got a call that they are going to offer me my first choice pick on the top floor and I'm gong in for the big formal financial assessment next Tuesday.

I suddenly feel like when I was just about to take my first GCSE or if I was going for a super big promotion job interview. Thanks brain!

Fingers crossed, if everything's cool with them then its solicitors and mortgages time.

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Good news, Rouj. I bloody love it around Brixton, that'll be a sweet place to live.

Fingers crossed for you that everything goes well next week.
  • Top news. Top floor. Top shelf.
  • I'm shitting it about my cat as I fully expect the no pets dickhead rule, but shout outs to the girl who was actually the best estate agent type person I've ever dealt with ever as she was showing anther couple round at the same time.

They asked about letting a spare room, air bnb and all that and she said basically you can do that only if it's a spare room, not the whole place, but loads of people do it anyway and the housing association basically don't give a fuck cos they can't do anything about it unless they start investigating every shared ownership property on the regular weigh is too much hassle. So compared to that, my hairy ginger son seems like a drop in the ocean.

I mean, fuck the fucking greedy cunts for fucking over access to shared ownership properties like that, but also thanks for making it so habitual that the HA can't be fucked, just don't cause any trouble pls, thx.

Anyway, mega fingers crossed and if I get lucky and get the place then of course free spare bed/sofa to any badgers in the area who need to crash somewhere after going to the O2, I'll be like 10 minutes walk away.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Fingers crossed for you mate.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Good luck Rouj. Any sense of when you might know it's a sure thing?

As an aside, we've been waiting on getting all our windows replaced since before Christmas, which will include saving our stained glass panels. Had a guy booked in to come and survey them last week; when he showed up early AM he just walked into the living room and took a hammer and chisel to the frames, tearing out the stained glass and taking them away.

wDB0IIB.jpg
    mPp34bd.jpg

Turns out "survey" means something different to window guys. Nearly gave me a panic attack before I refound my voice and asked whether I'd totally misunderstood what he was there to do. Ho-hum.
  • Yikes Kaz, at least they're probably taking the stained glass away to incorporate into the new window units, hopefully!

I'll think i find out at the assessment next Tuesday. I've been through the initial financial check to make sure I'm not a timewaster, so now is just a matter of getting the paperwork, pay slips, evidence of savings, proof of current address, all the usual stuff.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Have your kidneys ready in a jar for the bank, they like that.
  • I've been siphoning off my blood for a while now, hopefully the kidneys aren't required as well.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kazuo wrote:
    Good luck Rouj. Any sense of when you might know it's a sure thing? As an aside, we've been waiting on getting all our windows replaced since before Christmas, which will include saving our stained glass panels. Had a guy booked in to come and survey them last week; when he showed up early AM he just walked into the living room and took a hammer and chisel to the frames, tearing out the stained glass and taking them away. wDB0IIB.jpg mPp34bd.jpg Turns out "survey" means something different to window guys. Nearly gave me a panic attack before I refound my voice and asked whether I'd totally misunderstood what he was there to do. Ho-hum.

Sort of committed now!!!!
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Had a pre-start meeting with our contractors yesterday. Moving out of our flat on Monday so they can get started. I guess it’s really happening, finally.
  • I am getting some really nice anxiety ahead of this financial assessment, even though I have all my paperwork in order and all my figures given so far are correct and also within the bounds of realism for this place.

Fuck property (part) buying, I hate everything to do with large sums of money moving around the place. Just leave me alone to buy my shopping and a paper or a book and a game and that, occasionally fresh crepingtons, that's my level.

Wherever I end up buying this is it though barring any life changing events. I fucking hate moving!
  • Mortgages/property are fantasy land money where thousands of pounds are dropped like you are giving out sweets.

My bro has his house on the market at the moment.
    Started at £237k, an investor rocked up and offered £220k in the first couple of days.
    17 grand into the void, no rhyme or reason just a number pulled out his arse and the estate agents act like it's reasonable.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    If an investor wants it within a few days then it'll likely sell for closer to its asking price within a few months.
  • Quite.
    That being said they haven't sold yet, shit timing really but they need to relocate.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I found that every time I went into the bank they discovered a few extra grand to add onto the cost. So my advice is stay out of the bank as much as possible.
  • I didn't go to the bank once but that didn't help.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Bastards.
  • Mortgage in principal get.

Relieved is not even close to the word, but not gonna start partying until it's all through and signed off.

Was nice not to a get a fuck off you wasteman from most of the banks tho.
  • Huzzah for Roujin and Mordor Mashups round his gaffe eh what what.
  • Thanks dudes, of course this is just mortgage in principal, so will need the actual approval through from the bank. Plenty of opportunity now for my brain to torture me for the next however long by telling me its going to get declined and I'll have to go back and now my credit is fucked and everything is shitty forever. 

Any mashup may have to be quick, before Brixton becomes more Gondor than Mordor.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!