All your Homebase are belong to... you! / The House 'n' Home Thread.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I wonder if in many instances it was initially done to protect those features. Though I guess more likely lowering ceilings was to save on heating costs. But yeah bloody ridiculous. I was running a kitchen in the back of a mates pub, and the council told him that he had to cover up all the stained glass to protect it. My response was what's the point of preserving it if no-one can see it? It's pointless
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Fashions change is all. I’m assuming everything was lowered in our flat by previous owners who thought it was a good idea to run all the services (gas, water, electric, ventilation) high up, above false ceilings, because they didn’t want to go to the effort of doing new floors. Also because it was fashionable to put in recessed spotlights, so they needed false ceilings to do that in. Thankfully they never fucked with the living room. I mean, I’m grateful that they just blocked the real ceilings off and used the gap as loft/storage. Much of it seems to be beautifully preserved.
  • I remember doing visuals for a place in Belgravia with ornate mouldings like those.
    Each room totally different.
    We modeled all of them accurately and in fine detail. 

Probably a week of man hours per room. Just for visuals.
  • Belgravia’s nuts, though.

I’m dead chuffed about this ceiling rose. Definitely a keeper.

asFqQjf.jpg
  • Yeah that's amazing.
    Looks like a baked meringue right now.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Funny - I was about to say I was surprised you didn't have any ceiling roses. There you are.  :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Because of the way the building was converted into flats, that ceiling rose is off-centre in our bedroom. So we’ll retain it anyway and use a central ceiling hook to loop a coloured cord over and suspend a big pendant lampshade. Sort of like this but with the awesome rose and a big fabric shade on the light.

1_DROP_HOOKED_ACCROSS_CEILING_600x.jpg?v=1539600537
  • Nice idea, that will look great.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Man got his mortgage approved this afternoon! Absolutely gassed, that's the wworst of it over now, just going through the formalities now and probably having to constantly ring the solicitor to kick them up the arse, etc.

FEELSGOODMAN.

Feel like I should probably do a mental health post but I feel like I've actually managed to get a tiny hand hold on my own future finally and I actually feel like some small amount of freedom has just come my way.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Supermassive high-five, Rouj!
  • Cheers poppo! Let the browsing of catalogues and budgeting for new furniture commence, etc.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • We’ve been calling by our flat every night on the way home from work, to check on the day’s progress. Tonight’s reveal was that our door frames have all been raised to their majestic new heights and, more importantly, that structural ties are now in place on all but one of the big fucking cracks in our walls that started all this in the first place.
  • Grats mate, it's a big step and tbh I very much enjoy being a homeowner, despite knowing that it means I can never stop working now as I have a mortgage to pay.

(that may not make you feel good, actually)
  • Is this also the garden thread? I need to get rid off all this ivy crap that's tangled up in the soil, plus probably a layer of soil and flatten the whole lot down ready to do something with it. Any ideas? Will hiring a rotivator thing work for churning all that up so I can shovel it away?

Vr1oAMR.jpg

AerDKHk.jpg
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • You can pull the ivy out by hand easily enough, cutting here and there, just be careful not to beast it out of the slats or you'll bust the fence.  It's probably easy enough to bag up without paying for a rotivator imo.
  • You’re probably gonna screw your fence up trying to remove it but spray it off with a weed killer and leave for a couple of weeks. Dig out what you can by hand - including roots. Leave it - then spray off again. A rotivator would then helps to break up all that soil that needs turning and raking.
    You’ll never get rid of the ivy properly though. It’ll keep returning and you’ll just have to just stop it taking over.
  • Throw the brick at it again.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Man got his mortgage approved this afternoon! Absolutely gassed, that's the wworst of it over now, just going through the formalities now and probably having to constantly ring the solicitor to kick them up the arse, etc. FEELSGOODMAN. Feel like I should probably do a mental health post but I feel like I've actually managed to get a tiny hand hold on my own future finally and I actually feel like some small amount of freedom has just come my way.

Yay
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Cheers gents. The fence will get replaced at some point (we moved in in September so plenty to do) but not yet as it's quite a few panels. Will just try and pull out as much as possible and then spray it.
    LivDiv wrote:
    Throw the brick at it again.

Sadly this didn't do the trick
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    If you don't fancy renting a rotavator you could turn it yourself with a fork. You could also literally salt the earth as you turn it over
  • Uncle's right the only real/easy way to totally get rid is to spray with weed killer however, ones with glyphosate in have been heavily linked with cancer so be careful. I had an area of scrub like that covered in Ivy at the side of my garden and use my lawn mower on its highest setting on it to strip it back to soil level ( it also shreds and collects everything so you can compost/ green bin it). I then forked it all through and raked out the large woody roots two years on we don't have any regrowth. Don't salt your soil unless your sure ivy is sensitive to salt (do a test area). Ivy is pretty robust so I wouldn't be surprised if it is salt tolerant. Salting may also affect your long term growing options.
  • Salting the ground is what you do to your enemies land - not your own. You’d also need about half a ton of the stuff to have a crack at ivy.

Don’t worry about the weed killer giving you cancer too much as a one off spray won’t do you any harm unless you chose to have a swig from the bottle as your doing it. Everyone should be far more worried about that fact that farmers in this country have become entirely dependant upon glyphosate based weed killer (basicallly round up) as a way for drying out all their crops prior to harvest. Srsly, every crop that enters our mainstream food chain or labelled as organic has been sprayed off with a solution proven to cause cancer in humans. Enjoy that slice of toast this morning!
  • Spent the afternoon tearing down our old, rotted through shed so we can replace it with a new one next week.

Just me in my own for a few hours with a crowbar, hammer and a saw.
    I now have no shed and a nice neat stack of short planks ready to go down the tip.

Lovely :)

Also my wife was impressed I didn’t “resort to violence like always” and kick the damn thing to pieces lol
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • We just got costs in from our contractors for the renovations on top of our structural repairs. Naturally it’s almost double what we expected, and they’ve already done some of it. Time for some value engineering …
  • You could always put some false ceilings up...
  • Genius!

We can bring this quote down, no bother. Thing like sourcing doors off the shelf instead of having a joiner make them bespoke will save thousands right off the bat.

We can bring in our own flooring guy instead of using the main contractor, that’ll shave another grand or two off.

It’ll be fine. Your initial quote is always just a starting point for negotiation …
  • Poppo when does this episode of Grand Designs air?
  • You’re watching it live, this is it!

Fuck Kevin McCloud, anyway. Man’s got no idea.

To be honest, we’re getting all this done at really fair prices. It’s just that we’d like to pay even less. First you get your top-spec ideal schedule costed. Then you take a red pen to it and prioritise. There’s always some elements you knew would be costly, but there’s always surprises too – we didn’t expect bespoke doors to be so much more expensive than off the shelf ones, so that item can change (fancy doors are nice, but not nice enough to blow an extra £4–5k on).
  • Ask if they will work for free, it will be good experience and you can write them a recommendation.

Something for their portfolio.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!