Looty & "Keep"?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    If you want publishers to take a punt on new IPs, they need to know that they can weather the loss should they flop.
    I can guarantee-damn-tee you that if EA publishes a game and it flops, then it'll end up just being a massive tax write-off for them. The Devs might lose their jobs over it, but it's not really going to affect a major publisher financially.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Actually, here’s something I’ve never thought about before: Y’know how movie studios set up new shell companies for each production? So that many of the risks against a movie are just against that movie? Do games work that way now, too? I mean, they don’t seem to …
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    If you want publishers to take a punt on new IPs, they need to know that they can weather the loss should they flop.
    I can guarantee-damn-tee you that if EA publishes a game and it flops, then it'll end up just being a massive tax write-off for them. The Devs might lose their jobs over it, but it's not really going to affect a major publisher financially.

It won’t because they can cover the losses from elsewhere, things like FUT are part of that.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    If high production costs drive revuenue by making the game more marketable, why do the costs need to be covered by in-game slot machines?
    Because the revenue isn’t necessarily enough to cover losses from other parts of the business. It’s a high risk industry, videogames, with most new franchises failing to gain a following and sinking without trace, potentially taking tens of millions of dollars with it. If you want publishers to take a punt on new IPs, they need to know that they can weather the loss should they flop.

How to Fix the Gaming Industry
    - New IP should be spooned out piece by piece, gaining word of mouth if its good, limiting dev costs if it isn't. This will reward innovation and discourage copycatting. This is how companies are handling VR. An immature market they're experimenting with which they don't expect to make a lot of money from at this stage. But dipping their toes in to be able to profit later down the line.
    -  Games should be developed only to the point where they need to be. If you make a single player game, don't shoe horn in multiplayer. If you can't make money from the single player game as it stands, look at ways to cut the budget from anything that isn't part of the game. Do you really need all those voice actors in your shooting game? Shiny bullshit? 800 different cars whose differences are so slight as to be irrelevant? 
    - Don't over-saturate your own market - How can we compete in this crowded landscape of annual sequels cries the company when its fourth iteration of a stale franchise fails to live up to its financial projections. 
    - See that game you're making? Don't bother - Most games are shit. Is yours shit? Thought so. Don't bother. Leave the way clear for games that people really really want or feel they need to make, to hell with the cost. 

How not to fix the gaming industry
    - lootboxes.

The thing that rankles with games isn't that they're often bad or aimed at kids. If you're an adult playing with a child's toy, you'll have to accept that maybe that product wasn't designed with your preferences in mind. The worst thing is when stuff is in there that really should just be for responsible adults (like choosing when and how to spend money or gambling).
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There’s a thriving indie games industry which offers everything you’re asking for. If you don’t want the shiny triple As with microtransactions, don’t buy them, simple. Some people do want them, some people are happy to buy lootboxes for them, some companies are happy to create them for that market, you can be as sniffy and dismissive of them as you like, none of this will change.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    There’s a thriving indie games industry which offers everything you’re asking for. If you don’t want the shiny triple As with microtransactions, don’t buy them, simple. Some people do want them, some people are happy to buy lootboxes for them, some companies are happy to create them for that market, you can be as sniffy and dismissive of them as you like, none of this will change.
    I don't buy them really. I'd like to but they've been mostly rotten for some time now. And yes I play mostly smaller indie stuff that is more creative, less time-consuming and less oriented towards bullshit. I still get to object to gambling being in kids toys.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I could maybe get behind that if it weren’t for the fact that parental controls can be put on consoles which will prevent kids from ever actually gambling in their toys.
  • Re: tax-avoidance
    There's your smoking gun right there.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    It’s broken until it isn’t. The hits can be huge, and some companies are sustaining themselves very nicely from these. It would also be fixable were consumers willing to pay more for their games.

Problem here is you end up setting a market expectation. Maybe RDR or GTAVI is worth £100 in terms of gameplay, depth, aftersales support in terms of online modes etc etc

That doesn't necessarily mean that (insert crappy, built with existing cheaply licensed tools, with little to no depth or imagination, gamename here) is worth the same. Now no-one (except platform holders) is asking them to make huge 8K assets so they shouldn't need to invest so much in shinies. Folk will vote with their wallets

Although dev costs have increased, I don't believe for a moment that micro transactions are viewed by any of the big devs as a main revenue stream, it's purely motivated by greed and having seen it work so well in the freemium model. If microtransactions were to become the main revenue source and they weren't funding games through retail then the retail privce would have to stop
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I could maybe get behind that if it weren’t for the fact that parental controls can be put on consoles which will prevent kids from ever actually gambling in their toys.

It places gambling in front of kids, the same way as BET365, SkyBet, and Mansion sponsoring football teams, as well as every advert between the football on the tellybox
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    How many major games publishers exist these days?

How many were there 20 years ago?

How about large development studios?

All of the ones that are gone, did they just shutter as they felt like they’d had enough?
  • Businesses can close for a number of reasons, most often due to the poor decisions taken by their management teams.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Absolutely they can, but you’d expect them to be replaced by new businesses when they fold, something which doesn’t particularly seem to be happening in this case.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Also, how many devs have folded after just one or two underperforming titles?
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    I can't believe anyone would advocate the inclusion of Loot Boxes and Cash Shops in their games...
  • You should watch gav's vid before you go further down this road Yoss.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don’t think anyone’s advocating it, it’s more a question of recognising the pressures that lead to their inclusion.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    @Yoss, fair enough. Personally I'd much rather pay 80E for a game than have the games I like to play plagued with Cash Shops, Loot Boxes and Season Passes.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    You should watch gav's vid before you go further down this road Yoss.

I probably won’t, TBH. As I say, I’d happily read a transcript.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Absolutely they can, but you’d expect them to be replaced by new businesses when they fold, something which doesn’t particularly seem to be happening in this case.

Would you? Would you not expect existing businesses to fill that space?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    So if you're unlucky enough to have a neglectful, irresponsible or tech-illiterate parent then multinational companies are allowed to try and get you addicted to gambling?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Speedhaak wrote:
    @Yoss, fair enough. Personally I'd much rather pay 80E for a game than have the games I like to play plagued with Cash Shops, Loot Boxes and Season Passes.

Well yeah, this is my point really, games should cost far more but consumers would be up in arms if they did, so this is what happens instead.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    You should watch gav's vid before you go further down this road Yoss.
    Not the sterling one. The activision one. Activision's production costs have been going down for years.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    So if you're unlucky enough to have a neglectful, irresponsible or tech-illiterate parent then multinational companies are allowed to try and get you addicted to gambling?

This comes back to Coch’s argument before. If you have neglectful or irresponsible parents then there’s tonnes of stuff that kids can do which we don’t ban. This is probably fairly low on the risk scale as the parents will put a stop to it as soon as they get the credit card bill.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Speedhaak wrote:
    Well yeah, this is my point really, games should cost far more but consumers would be up in arms if they did, so this is what happens instead.

When the 360 and PS3 launched games went up by 15 Euro. I'm sure you're probably right though, especially with the platform social media provides people with for moaning these days. I find it odd though that people can't measure the benefits of paying an extra 20E now instead of having their games monetised further by having content held back, cash shops setup and season passes dictate game design and direction.
  • You should watch gav's vid before you go further down this road Yoss.
    Not the sterling one. The activision one. Activision's production costs have been going down for years.
    Hey, maybe some devs/publishers have gone out of business because a handful of mega frnachises now dominates the industry, and have even increased their share since filling their games with microtransactions and additional paid-for content.

Probably not. That's a crazy idea.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    You wouldn't expect this at all. These companies have spent decades building up their business and use their power to entrench their positions and prevent new entrants.
    Yossarian wrote:
    This comes back to Coch’s argument before. If you have neglectful or irresponsible parents then there’s tonnes of stuff that kids can do which we don’t ban. This is probably fairly low on the risk scale as the parents will put a stop to it as soon as they get the credit card bill.
    There's damage to be done there even if the controls are on. The kids can still see what they're missing because the game will be constantly reminding them. Not gambling = missing out. Your scenario of the parent finding out isn't great either. The kid gambles for a month, the credit card statement comes through, the kid gets in trouble, the parent gets in debt, the multinational corporation makes a load of money. Your apologism for corporate money-grubbing is surprising.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    As I say, I’ve actually seen very little that has made me feel like I’m missing out on anything in games, the pushes that I’ve seen have been pretty mild (Rocket League is the worst example I’ve seen). If it gets worse than that, I’m willing to reconsider, but at the moment the feeling of missing out seems fairly mild, certainly far less than that which can be engendered by walking down any high street in the UK packed with adverts and offers aimed directly at kids.
  • Your whole argument is breathtakingly nearsighted Yoss.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!