Cryptocurrency, Blockchain and buy Roujcoin now [ROU]
  • He also does great stuff on movies. His dissection of suicide squad is excellent stuff.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Watching that video on and off.
    In up to the bit about pay to earn games.

It amazes me that there are enough marks with enough money and willingness to jump through the hoops for any of this to exist.
  • How much of us here have been day one adaptors of consoles when we know they are over priced, more likely to have issues and have less game selection? Or have bought insanely over priced collector editions of games, music and movies?

I do think this is very much at the silly end but I paid €150 for a transformer toy when I was 24 years old.
    SFV - reddave360
  • mannaboy wrote:
    Yeah you come out with a very good understanding of crypto and NFTs. His other vids are also worth a watch, I think it was someone on here who linked to his flat earth one.

Enjoyed his Jamie Oliver one.

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    How much of us here have been day one adaptors of consoles when we know they are over priced, more likely to have issues and have less game selection? Or have bought insanely over priced collector editions of games, music and movies?

I do think this is very much at the silly end but I paid €150 for a transformer toy when I was 24 years old.

It's really not comparable imo.
  • drumbeg wrote:
    mannaboy wrote:
    Yeah you come out with a very good understanding of crypto and NFTs. His other vids are also worth a watch, I think it was someone on here who linked to his flat earth one.

Enjoyed his Jamie Oliver one.

A lot of that can be applied to high end chefs and foodies. 'Proper' food is a concept with serious pompous and exclusionary attributes.
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    How much of us here have been day one adaptors of consoles when we know they are over priced, more likely to have issues and have less game selection? Or have bought insanely over priced collector editions of games, music and movies?

It's really not comparable imo.

Not completely, maybe more the collector side of things. I was more pointing that we all are guilty of wasting money on things. People who buy into crypto and nfts obviously want to make money on things which adds a different and important distinction I guess, but I think the tech around this stuff is also what attracts them.
    SFV - reddave360
  • We'll all see who is laughing when I'm a kabillionaire.
  • I half agree Dave.

When I look at the Beeple type stuff its overpriced and its nonsense but it is probably comparable. Something being physical to me doesn't make it significantly less nonsense.

Its the game stuff that got me though. It is so far removed from logical it is hard to even follow at times. So many barriers to entry that should work as self checkpoints but instead serve as velvet ropes.

I think a lot of it seems to be about being a part of something rather than owning something. They have to own the piece of crap NFT art to get in but its more like a membership card or various badges of honour for the approval of piers.

A collectible or games console despite having some bragging rights is probably more for yourself even if potentially dumb.
  • The difference I guess is that NFTs are entirely artificially scarce. Holding on to a rare toy or magic card for 30 years and it being worth a lot to buyers is tied to a lot more real-world stuff: shifting copyright, lost casting moulds, production not favouring re-printing something/re-printing something not being desirable unless you limit it, and a host of other factors including probably the most important one: time, therefore physical wear, tear, rot etc.

This is forced scarcity, in a medium that doesn't really support it, with the added caveat of most of the price being inflated by insider trading. I guess you could argue that insider trading is also the case with other collectibles, but it's when you combine the two things together it's nonsense. Rare NES carts, weird printings of Pokemon cards, Black Lotus Magic cards, rare old Warhammer sculpts from the Perry twins or RTB01 sprues, that one Wu-Tang- these are tangible and I understand why they matter to some, if not to me. A link to a receipt of content that can be accessed with the receipt, that is the outcome of a notoriously harmful technological system, coupled with the  fact that most of the price is bollocks in order to line the pockets of the already wealthy? 

Rankles a fair bit more.

It their express purpose wasn't tied to a future hell-scape that sees people like Peter Thiel and other devil-spawned cunts getting more rich, maybe I'd be more inclined to look the other way. First printing Black Lotuses are barely hurting anyone, this stuff is basically an evil con.
  • Great post, Temps.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    I can see how people interested in crypto/digital-currency see them positively as a long-term play against the power of the banks/financial industries

Because, for the time being, those near the bottom can win. Trouble is, despite this reversal, Randolph and Mortimer will still run the show at the end.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    djchump wrote:
    I can see how people interested in crypto/digital-currency see them positively as a long-term play against the power of the banks/financial industries

Because, for the time being, those near the bottom can win. Trouble is, despite this reversal, Randolph and Mortimer will still run the show at the end.

I think that time has long since passed. When you could mine on a PC then yeah, the little man could strike rich. Now it's just speculative gambling and hoping you time it right in-between the big players manipulating the market.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yeah, I just mean its power-to-the-people perception unravels when you consider who'll end up with the largest pots. I'd say credit unions are the closest we have to low-bar community finance.

LivDiv wrote:
    for the approval of piers.

Antivax and climate-change denial?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Non-fungible towers.

I like my tower because it's made of wood and has a rope bridge, and I once played on a wooden fort with a rope bridge as a child. I think that was the year Michael Fish got the weather wrong, so the fort might be gone.
  • Makes about as much sense as crypto
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Non-fungible towers is a perfect response to Ubisoft trying to do cryptononsense.
  • Non-fun(climb)able towers.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • poprock wrote:
    Non-fungible towers is a perfect response to Ubisoft trying to do cryptononsense.

Aha, yes. That makes sense now! I was blinded by the fact their first NFTs were in Siege which is firmly NO TOWERS.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I mean - I could see an interest in someone wanting to own the actual storage media a famous digital artifact was initially created on (well - sort of). But that's a physical , tangible thing.
  • Tempy wrote:
    This is forced scarcity, in a medium that doesn't really support it

This jumped out. A great way to put it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Well, that's it. One of the powers of digital is perfect reproductivity. It's more than a power, it's an inherent attribute.
  • Its actually not unprecedented to hold rights to digital media at all.
    We just live in a world where copyright on digital images isn't respected in the same way as it is for movies or music.

The other examples of course don't require NFTs to be solvable and NFTs don't solve the problem around images, other media are supported by the law because big business has a hand in them.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Holding rights is perfectly valid. It's the ability to enforce that's the problem. It's never been easier to circumvent controls.

Some think because it's easy then that makes it OK.  I can understand a kick against that but I don't think a retro fit is feasible.
  • NFTs are a solution in search of a problem. An invention without necessity.

As such it’s no surprise that the industries jumping on them first are fashion/luxury and trading/investment.
  • @davy 
    For sure. This is where the "right click, save" argument is flawed.
    That is effectively piracy as much as downloading a torrent of a movie. I dont really want to go off tangent into a morals argument there but legally there is little difference its just Universal, Sony, Disney etc can't make billions out of that image.

None of this is an argument for NFT or blockchain or the absolute state of the scene that has emerged.
  • You’ve got to start thinking that this emperor has no clothes when Wired, of all places, starts publishing articles about your tech utopia being a pointless land-grab.

Big Tech Needs to Stop Trying to Make Their Metaverse Happen
    “From Microsoft to Meta, the race is on to sell an amorphous concept that no one really wants them to build.”
  • LivDiv wrote:
    @davy  For sure. This is where the "right click, save" argument is flawed. That is effectively piracy as much as downloading a torrent of a movie. I dont really want to go off tangent into a morals argument there but legally there is little difference its just Universal, Sony, Disney etc can't make billions out of that image. None of this is an argument for NFT or blockchain or the absolute state of the scene that has emerged.

That's as much about the ability to reproduce digital replicas though. There is no difference between the digital image of a shit monkey that NFT owners have, and the digital image of a shit monkey that I can get by right clicking. If you have a painting of a shit monkey and I take a picture of it, we have very different things.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!