Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Hard to tell as Tesla refuses to provide numbers, unlike its competitors.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timabansal/2021/05/13/how-green-is-tesla-really/

As with most Tesla headlines there is a balance. From the article:

“ Granted, even though Tesla does not disclose the specifics of its carbon emissions, it has disrupted the auto sector’s reliance on combustion engines. And the company is seeking not to just move a single part of the transportation industry, but the entire transportation and energy ecosystem.”

For example, Tesla provides both businesses and homeowners an opportunity to generate solar energy through solar panels and store them in a Powerwall battery. Tesla also claims to be seeking to extend its battery life and ensure they are recycled responsibly. Remarkably, it has also opened up its patents—a bold move in an industry that works hard to protect its intellectual capital in order to capitalize on research-and-development investments.”

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    drumbeg wrote:
    Going off topic now, but I'm stunned at how many people think that EV is the answer to all and shout it from the rooftops.

How about not subsidising Elon's Boring Tesla tunnel and investing in public transport instead?

How about investment in more cycling infrastructure?

Maybe replacing our old cars with newer EV cars isn't the answer.

Replacing private cars with self driving EV subscription taxi services is the answer.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Goobs, as you probably know, is quite close to becoming reality.
  • Close, but will never be reality.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    I’ll take that bet!
  • drumbeg wrote:
    Going off topic now, but I'm stunned at how many people think that EV is the answer to all and shout it from the rooftops. How about not subsidising Elon's Boring Tesla tunnel and investing in public transport instead? How about investment in more cycling infrastructure? Maybe replacing our old cars with newer EV cars isn't the answer.
    Replacing private cars with self driving EV subscription taxi services is the answer.

Replacing cars with excellent public transport is the answer.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

“ Granted, even though Tesla does not disclose the specifics of its carbon emissions, it has disrupted the auto sector’s reliance on combustion engines. And the company is seeking not to just move a single part of the transportation industry, but the entire transportation and energy ecosystem.”

For example, Tesla provides both businesses and homeowners an opportunity to generate solar energy through solar panels and store them in a Powerwall battery. Tesla also claims to be seeking to extend its battery life and ensure they are recycled responsibly. Remarkably, it has also opened up its patents—a bold move in an industry that works hard to protect its intellectual capital in order to capitalize on research-and-development investments.”

What’s any of that got to do with the answer to the original question about how much carbon is saved by not producing 100,000 cars?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    drumbeg wrote:
    Going off topic now, but I'm stunned at how many people think that EV is the answer to all and shout it from the rooftops. How about not subsidising Elon's Boring Tesla tunnel and investing in public transport instead? How about investment in more cycling infrastructure? Maybe replacing our old cars with newer EV cars isn't the answer.

Replacing cars with excellent public transport is the answer.

Excellent public transport is part of the answer, particularly in large urban areas. But as soon as you get outside those large urban the number of people who can be effectively and conveniently serviced by public transport without the cost becoming prohibitive diminishes rapidly. So the need for bespoke private transport is never going to go away.
  • Wait, Goobs isn't real?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The whole "100,000 cars not produced" thing seems silly to me. Let's not pretend that those cars not being produced means less new cars were purchased. They were just purchased from somewhere else, or will be purchased at a later date. If someone's in the market for a new car they will buy one, so those 100,000 cars not being produced this year (or last) makes no difference to the total number of cars that will be produced in the next 10/20 years.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Wait, Goobs isn't real?

We’re through the looking glass now, folks.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    Wait, Goobs isn't real?

As in am I being serious?
  • Goobs, as you probably know, is quite close to becoming reality.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I am almost self aware
  • I was not aware of that.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

What’s any of that got to do with the answer to the original question about how much carbon is saved by not producing 100,000 cars?

If their mission is transport by sustainable energy it’s not a stretch to say being carbon neutral as possible would be the aim.

There is also town and city pollution to consider.

dQMzy0W.jpg

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yeah, not convinced that’s Musk’s mission, TBH.
  • Musks mission is to try and impress teenage edgelords.
  • I think his real mission is just to make all the money.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    I think his real mission is just to make all the money.

Bingo. But then he gets stoned and
    Musks mission is to try and impress teenage edgelords.
  • Pretty sure he used to peddle more left wing stuff when Hollywood celebs were the early Tesla market.
    I guess now its Crypto bros with the money/influence

Probably best to pay as much attention to his political views as whoever the top guy is at any other car manufacturer.
  • The top guys at other manufacturers don’t court the limelight the way he does. Dude just wants attention.
  • For sure. Best to not give it to him.
  • drumbeg wrote:

His tunnel seems like a pretty garbage idea. He's like building a subway system, but more expensive and worse in terms of capacity and efficiency.
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • drumbeg wrote:

His tunnel seems like a pretty garbage idea. He's like building a subway system, but more expensive and worse in terms of capacity and efficiency.

Exactly. If only we already have a proven, quick and efficient underground tunnel based transport system that governments could subsidise.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    NFT trading drops 97% in 9 months.

Turns out pictures of bored looking chimps off the internet aren't worth a ton of money.

Hoodathunkit.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    NFT trading drops 97% in 9 months.

Turns out pictures of bored looking chimps off the internet aren't worth a ton of money.

Hoodathunkit.

Fake news. Everyone is just Diamond Handsing super hard.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    NFT trading drops 97% in 9 months. Turns out pictures of bored looking chimps off the internet aren't worth a ton of money. Hoodathunkit.

The ... "art" in that articles main photo makes me hate humanity.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Everyone is just Diamond Handsing super hard.

... wanking?
    RedDave2 wrote:
    The ... "art" in that articles main photo makes me hate humanity.

We should start a club.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!