Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    Incidentally, anyone wanting to make a TV into an awesome media hub jobby, try Sumvision Cyclone Nano 1 Android based - even plays angry birds! - media player. (Not got one myself but really looking for an excuse to)

Interesting. I'd like a more "instant on" way to access Netflix. Don't suppose anyone has used this for that?
  • Re: 'Open command prompt here'
    I don't think there's anything like that on Macs. Could be wrong but I've never come across it. You can drag and drop the folder you want to change to direct into the terminal though so 

Type 'cd' and then a space then drag and drop the folder and then hit enter

Might save a bit of time
  • I realise this is from a while back, but recently stumbling across this open letter, and toying with the idea of buying a new desktop, are Macs genuinely crap at coping with Flash or is this just Apple/Adobe's it's-your-fault-no-it's-your-fault back-and-forth exagerrating the issue?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Macs'll run Flash but it puts a bit of a strain on the processor. My fans kick in whenever Flash starts running, other than that it works fine.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Macs'll run Flash but it puts a bit of a strain on the processor. My fans kick in whenever Flash starts running, other than that it works fine.

+1
    Yossarian wrote:
    Also, a few of these instructions involve using the Sudo command. I may not know much about the Terminal, but I know that Sudo can be dangerous. Are there any particular commands that I should be wary of with this? Cheers in advance.

The only thing I can think of is rm. 'sudo rm -rf' if I've got it right will wipe your entire hard drive, but that might work without the sudo bit anyway.

Also might want to be wary anything that changes permissions, i.e., chmod.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I suspect whatever Yoss has been doing he's already had to do some chmod'ing.

@KRS Go into a store and open YouTube, should answer the Flash question quickly enough.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Cheers, Swirl.

No chmodding yet, I'm just running into issues that I don't really understand. I think I've got a port blocked on my router or something.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I'm going to guess and say you've run into file/user permissions because that's what usually happens and that's where chmod comes in, but yeah, it could be a port on the router. I'd assume any instructions you're following would have had a chmod step if needed but I wouldn't assume with any certainty.
  • @Yoss - Have you got a link for the instructions you're following? I've done some python / terminal stuff so might be able to help.
  • Yossarian wrote:

I thought this has gone away after this happened? Certainly my macbook doesn't struggle with multiple flash-heavy websites open anymore.

On an unrelated note, what does everyone think the next iPhone needs to be / do to remain competitive? I'd like a slightly larger screen, a thinner profile, more power but that's the boring stuff. What about iOS6? enhancements to iCloud (notes, reminders apparently on the cards)? I personally want a revamp of the springboard, very jealous of Android's awesome active home screens.

Also better background download management. It frustrates me that every time I open up a reader (using Byline right now, good stuff) I have to wait for it to sync and cache. Why can't I set it to do this at regular intervals, e.g.: once, overnight? Wouldn't kill the battery that. There are loads of uses for this (I'm looking at What'sApp, HulloMail, Tasks, Facebook and so on).
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    On an unrelated note, what does everyone think the next iPhone needs to be / do to remain competitive?

Commercially competitive?

Be called an iPhone.
  • Yeah see that's my worry. There's not much to be innovative or even technically competitive if, whatever you throw out, it sells like plasters at a cactus convention.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    @monkey I'm trying to follow this. I've got Python and Cheetah installed, and was trying to get Sick Beard installed through Git when I ran into this error:
    fatal: Unable to look up github.com (port 9418) (nodename nor servname provided, or not known)

And that's where I gave up for the time being.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I do think Apple have an innovation time bomb waiting to explode. I wouldn't buy Apple stock.

Can't see their Smart TV setting the world alight.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    @monkey I'm trying to follow this. I've got Python and Cheetah installed, and was trying to get Sick Beard installed through Git when I ran into this error:
    fatal: Unable to look up github.com (port 9418) (nodename nor servname provided, or not known)
    And that's where I gave up for the time being.

Have you missed the protocol? It would need to be "wget http://github.com ..." or whatever (not wget) afaik.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It doesn't mention wget in those instructions, but entering [font=Monaco, Consolas, 'Andale Mono', 'DejaVu Sans Mono', monospace]git clone git://github.com/midgetspy/Sick-Beard.git does try to do something, it makes me wait for 10 or 15 seconds then spits out the error message above.[/font]

[font=Monaco, Consolas, 'Andale Mono', 'DejaVu Sans Mono', monospace]EDIT: Copying and pasting did some weird things there. The BBCode doesn't appear here in the edit window.[/font]
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Retrieve the Sick Beard source

If you have git installed (use "git --version" to check):

git clone git://github.com/midgetspy/Sick-Beard.git my-sickbeard-install

If not:

wget --no-check-certificate https://github.com/midgetspy/Sick-Beard/tarball/master
        tar -xzvf midgetspy-Sick-Beard-xxxxxx.tar.gz (the xxxxxx part will be different for every download)
        mv midgetspy-Sick-Beard-xxxxxx my-sickbeard-install

http://www.sickbeard.com/install.html
  • If the above doesn't work, replace the second 'git' with 'https' like

git clone https://github.com/midgetspy/Sick-Beard/tarball/master
    That might do it. 

If not, can you not just go the option 1 route? The 'harder to update' bit in that just means that you'll have to get the tarball manually each time you want to install the latest update, rather than using git.
  • Although it's nearly been a couple of years and we've all grown pretty accustomed to seeing them everywhere, I still think the iPhone 4 design is absolutely bang on. I really feel whatever comes next will not look as elegant or modern. I'd be happy with faster internals, a full version of Siri with UK locations, and maybe a better low-light camera/LED flash combo. Whatever it is, I'll be buying. Contract's up in Sep.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Cheers, Swirl. No chmodding yet, I'm just running into issues that I don't really understand. I think I've got a port blocked on my router or something.

No problem. If there's anything you're unsure of, just check the command's manual page. (In Terminal, run "man {command name}".) Then you can make sure what the instructions say they're doing tally with what they're actually doing.

In other news, here's a handy little tip I discovered today. If you hold down the option key (⌥) and then hit one of the F keys along the top of your keyboard, you'll open up the relevant section in System Preferences. For example, while holding down ⌥, hit F10 (the mute button), and the Sound preference pane will open.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • google wrote:
    I have an Apple TV now (2nd Gen) and I'd like to turn it into a media center.
    When is the untethered jailbreak coming?

I thought the 2nd gen ones were already super-hackable? Everyone at work appears to have one, I can ask tonight if you like?

please do.
    I'm on latest firmware though :-(

I totally missed this, but I'll ask tomorrow.
  • I'm going to be ordering an iPad this week, I'm going to use it for a multitude of things, but a main use will be for reading newspapers.
    What are the best news apps on the app store?
    I'm preferably looking for something like Pressreader, but with a few more sources.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Flipboard is superb.
  • I like Zite. It's a bit more customisable than some.
  • Zite?
    Never heard of that one.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter where I get my news from, I just want to be able to read The Sun's Steven Howard when he has an article out.
  • Sun is pay though, amirite?
  • WorKid wrote:
    Sun is pay though, amirite?

Free trial, then £4.99 a month. Only really get it for the sports reporting. Otherwise I'd probably be better off getting the Sport or Star for shit joke stories.
    I like to read Steven Howard though. He did a great piece about Roberto Di Matteo today.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    I like Zite. It's a bit more customisable than some.
    I use Zite too. 

Turns all your RSS feeds into a magazine.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Anyone know how to get a bit of software off the App Store update list in OS X? I tried out Sparrow Mail Lite but decided to stick with Thunderbird. The App Store lists an update for Sparrow Mail but I'm never going to down load it.

Cheers.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Anyone know how to get a bit of software off the App Store update list in OS X? I tried out Sparrow Mail Lite but decided to stick with Thunderbird. The App Store lists an update for Sparrow Mail but I'm never going to down load it. Cheers.

No, and I've tried.  The iOS App Store still lists 36 updates available for apps which I had when my account was a UK one, and I can't see them to download as they're not on the US store.  It just stays there saying 36 updates.  Forever.  Luckily you can download European apps on your phone even if your account's on the US store, but it knackers my OCD.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!