Darkest Dungeon: It CAN be felled, it CAN be beaten!
  • My problem with team comps is that they're really circumstantial - a good team nearly always needs the members to use locked in perks that counter their class weakness, because a great team for the Cove is fucked if your plague doctor and occultist do less damage to eldritch or fear the Cove. I prefer my basic pair synergies, although i've yet to figure out anything that works well with Man-at-Arms
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I've no idea what works so will try Brooks' double Jester/Abom strat.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Good luck, I wouldn't want to gamble the stress stuff myself
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I figure the Jester stress heal should combat that? Although it may require spamming a little.

Just seen I only have one Jester though. May take a healer instead.
  • My personal concern is at low levels the Jester might not heal enough stress to counteract the Abomination stress and combat dress combined, which is probably whilst two are required. It only takes about critical hit/terror tick to make things dangerous. But that's just me, I'm a huge wuss because I can't cope with the tension of Resolve tests.
  • A healer is pretty much a given for me for any team. Vestel over occultist due to the consistency of healing factor.

I use a jester with abomination in the same team, it's doable, especially on mid to long runs when you have guys who can reduce stress normally or at camp.

I've been using different combinations in my team's, experimenting leads you to combinations that suit your own play style.

I do change up the active skills of my team, some are definitely more useable than others. Also on a run involving camping, I make sure one of my team can stop a nighttime ambush.

fallegant and antiquarian are two characters I avoid as I really struggle to use those two characters successfully.
  • Well I just beat the apprentice necromancer, and am now the proud owner of two level 3 characters.  Then I looked down the barrel of the rest of the progress achievements.  Oh boy, there's a long way to go.
  • I have 5 characters now crimson cursed. I need to build a blood factory, but need 80 of the light blue head tokens in order to build one. 80!

The epic dungeon is a bastard, luckily I have 6 invites spare to the baron's game, so I can pick up where I left off. Problem is if I take a full crimson curse team, the crimson curse hunter will turn up and he's supposed to be bastard hard to beat.

Decisions decisions...
  • Fuck me. The epic dungeon is a bastard. My 3rd retreat. Thank god for the ability to continue where you left off.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Well my double Jester/Abomination ran into the collector and got wrecked. I'm think I'm making good progress on the main story.
  • My luke-warm take: this game is exhausting.  Losing someone you've beefed up is crushing.  I'm down to maybe 7 decent heroes, the rest of my pack are like baby turtles waddling to the sea.

Today I'm gonna print out the advice and study it while I'm supposed to be working.
  • I really enjoy the battles but find the management game too stats heavy, the clunky interface doesn’t help.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Yeah.  I'm playing for the battles, but most of the other aspects of the game are too much for my tastes.  I'm admiring rather than appreciating a lot of the depth.  Dat battle system though, it's very easy to get sucked in and kill time, I'm just not used to playing anything this demanding overall.  

My biggest gripe is probably the way the Vita version hangs on the party menu system, so when you're holding the shift button and attempting navigate the cursor to a unit (to press square, or maybe square then triangle if you want to equip an item), the already cumbersome set of inputs is even more irritating thanks to the snag/lag thing.  Visuals/sound design/v/o are spot on though, it's a lovely thing, it's just horribly nasty to the player on a regular basis.
  • Very well putt
    The switch version isn’t much better, ipad is the best other than pc
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Having only ever played it on switch, ive gotten used to the controls
  • Right I've been following this thread and I'm going to give this another go after initially not liking it. 
    I've watched a basics video, which has helped, and is there anything REALLY obvious I'm missing with the combat?
    So, with the starting 4 party I have the crusader up front. Highway man second, plague in slot three and vestal in the fourth and final slot. 
    Combat is a fairly obvious crusader for the big whacks, highway for the grape shot/pistol, plague Dr to debuff and poison, vestal to heal when needed?
    The combat part of it, at least, seems very straightforward.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Grape shot is whack usually, I prefer the bleed stab.

Plague Doctor for plague and stun, he can also clear corpses. Vestal for heals/stun/judgement for back row
  • @pantyfire, the most basic advise, 

1. Concentrate on one enemy at a time.
    2. Have 1/2 teams which are your main go to teams. Strengthen them (talismans, weapons, armour, skills).
    3. Experiment with a "cannon fodder" team straight off the stage coach (if they die, they die), you'll find combinations that work that surprise you. One of my long term teams was initially an experiment and have survived for ages now: Occualtist, Jester, Abomination, Shieldbreaker.
    4. Always take plenty of food and torches on dungeon runs.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Are Jesters in some dlc? I've never seen one.
  • Nope, I've only got the base game and I've seen a few.

Currently pretty annoyed with a mixture of myself, the UI and the game itself.  I've been venturing on the medium forays of late, so camping is now a thing.  Except it's not when you've managed to get 3/4 of the way through the rooms pre-camp, then realise you've discarded your firewood along the way, presumably to make room for something else.  I've currently got it on standby mode while I sulk, will have to retreat, I've got Dismas and the other OG guy in my party (Bigwig to me, I renamed that one).
  • Moot, on medium runs especially boss runs. I'll wait till i'm 1/2 rooms frm the boss (its always in the furthest room to your starting point), before camping. Dont forget to check your teams camping skills before you leave.

Level 1-2 dungeons (short,medium,long) are pretty easy. Level 3-4 (short,medium,long) are definately a step up. Not done a level 5-6 dungeon.

The Crimson Court epic dungeon is just horrible and thats a level 2. Lol.

• I wouldn't have lasted that long, almost though.  The last fight I had before I tried to settle in for the night was a close one for my leper.  Who hits surprisingly hard.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I've generally found any aoe attack that's damage based, not blight/bleed dot stuff, is not worth it.

You much rather want to kill one/two enemies immediately, which I've just noticed is mentioned above.

Also something isn't explained anywhere is that Antiquarian allows gold to stack more and I believe generally get more items that sell.

They're shit for damage but get a man at arms, use him to guard you, get him into riposte mode and then buff him up so he takes both yours and his hits and he hits with a riposte afterwards.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm on week 38 and I've never seen a jester. They're definitely not dlc? Do you need some upgrade to get them?
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Shouldn't do.

I read you can change the stagecoach from deck based to dice based. Deck based means the arrivals are from a pool of characters, not random.

So I would imagine if you get a bunch of vestal inbound and they all die, you're less likely to get vestals when using deck based.
  • They're in the base game definitely. Week 57 and I've had one grave-robber so it's just a thing that happens.
  • Is there a time limit penalty in grinding?
    I.e. Can I just keep doing green dungeons and level parties up (I know at level 3 they won't go into green dungeons)?
    There isn't a 'go beyond week 12 and everything gets 50% harder' type of thing going on under the hood?

Edit. 
    I have the bar game on iPad and there's Jesters. 

How is everyone dealing with accumulated stress?
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I know the level of the area goes up as you finish quests and will start having boss missions. I don't know if it'll eventually show 4 boss missions and no easy ones.
  • No time limit afaik. Not noticed anything in week 57.

Stress? Upgrade the first slots in Chapel and Tavern, rotate people in and out.
  • I've got a few level 3 characters and I'm sure they'll still enter green dungeons.  In fact I'm sure of it as I've only plucked up the courage for greens so far.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!