Darkest Dungeon: It CAN be felled, it CAN be beaten!
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I've got a few level 3 characters and I'm sure they'll still enter green dungeons.  In fact I'm sure of it as I've only plucked up the courage for greens so far.

That's because you're playing on Radiant
  • Ok thanks. 

I must say some of the characters are right wusses. Stressing out over nothing.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Lighting torches helps againat stress. I onl realised after playing for awhile, that i was lighting torches to 25% brightness only. Doh.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    So I’m finally getting into this... but after buying it for 99p on my iPad!

Plays really well with touch controls on the bigger iPad Pro’s 12” screen.
  • I've got a handful of level 5 characters, a couple of 4's, a few journeymen and a couple of noobs.  It's been getting easier, I've been settling into things a bit, but my 5's won't go on green quests now so it's definitely the calm before the storm.  I've surprised myself a bit, must've played for over 10hrs at this stage, which I didn't think I'd manage.  There are so many games out that I want to play I've got a real problem sinking time into stuff like this - and roguelikes in general, they're becoming more irritating of late as I lot of games I like the look of are doing it - but this one really deserves the dedication.  I wouldn't say it rewards it, because it's so mean, but it's an excellent game.
  • Level 5s won't go on greens

I'm torn up for you

must be dreadful

poor Moot

• Innit, I knew my fellow dungeoneers would empathise.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Also when you're recruiting, check what skills they have - sometimes they have all of them, but occasionally they just come with 4. It's worth considering the cost of unlocking skills to make them useful in various places.

I'm going for occultists as my healers, as Abyssal Artillery, Weakening Curse and Wyrd Reconstruction are all pretty effective from the back row.  I grabbed one from the stage coach without Abyssal Artillery, so I bought the ability from the upgrades section, but it's still greyed out when he's on a run.  Any ideas?  I have another, but I'm trying to boost the lowly guy just in case, as they're pretty weak at the best of times.  Weaker guy is lv.2 now.
  • You have to go into his profile and select it. If he already has 4 abilities equipped you need to deselect one of those first.
  • I found that you can either get a high or low heal occultist through trial and error. i have one who 9/10 heals for multiple points and another will half the time heal for 0 points.
  • I'm loving my level 4 leper at the mo.  Seems to be my heaviest hitter by far at this stage.  He's also got over his accuracy problems with the hew move after missing his first 5 attempts, which nearly made me give up on it forever.
  • Sulking with this at the mo.  Got it on pause, with my party at 3/4 health apiece, facing the swine prince on a lv.3 stage.  I know I'm about to get merked, and I can't face it.  Level 2 Occultist in the back row, level 3 jester next, then a level 5 crusader and a level 5 man at arms in the front two.  The only character that can reach the little piggie from their current position is the occultist.  Not sure how to approach it so I stuck it in sleep mode.  I don't want to lose the crusader, he's one of my original guys.  Suuulk.
  • Don't attack the little piggy unless you've taken out the biggun'
  • The biggie takes some killin' though.  I hit him twice with the big hitters and it didn't look promising in terms of damage.  Will try at lunch.
  • Trust me on not killing Wilbur.

Ideally every member of your team should be able to hit the back row though, even if in this fight it doesn't really matter.
  • I've adopted a loose front two for the front two, back two for the back two rule.  Will rearrange some abilities and break it on the next run.
  • as tempy advised dont hit the little guy. Also on any boss run make sure all of your team can hit the back row. there's a boss down the line for whom it is essential that all of your team can hit the back rows otherwise your in trouble.

Spoiler:
  • there is another way to deal with troublesome bosses. you need a crimson cursed team and when they are in bloodlust you double juice them. that increases their hit points by 50%, devastating amounts of damage.

Good thing about a crimson curse boss run is that the crimson curse hunter cant appear. he's a fecker you dont wanna face.
  • Everyone survived, by the skin of their teeth.  In fairness I should've lost at least one, three were on death's door by the end of the battle and two dodged a final attack.  It was the swine king, not the prince, so I can tick him off the list.  I need a little lie down now.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Spoiler:

Managed to beat that one already, clocked that tactic, wasn't too messy in the end.  Unlike today's, which was nearly a disaster.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I have bought this on my iPad, but upon starting it up have spotted DLC and have been wondering about those.

From what I can tell, the Crimson Court is probably better left until I’m a bit more experienced, but the shield breaker looks like it might be worth grabbing right off the bat.

Any thoughts?
  • I've never played with either, game's massive enough as it is
  • I've only got the base game and the list of tasks, or more specifically the time I'd have to play for to achieve these goals, is pretty overwhelming.  You'd probably be looking at 50hrs to mop up the majority of the game.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I have bought this on my iPad, but upon starting it up have spotted DLC and have been wondering about those.

From what I can tell, the Crimson Court is probably better left until I’m a bit more experienced, but the shield breaker looks like it might be worth grabbing right off the bat.

Any thoughts?

Yoss, you can install the dlc, and get the shieldbreaker without kicking off the crimson curse storyline. Just dont visit the courtyard location. The curse makes the game tougher.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    They’re two separate DLCs on iPad, so I can just get the Shieldbreaker.
  • This game is rarely nice to the player, but the odd occasion where your party can enter any dungeon regardless of character level is welcome.  I just bashed up the siren with a party of 6 and 5's.  Gradually ticking stuff off now, got two groups I like on rotate, with an extra couple of fill in characters for when the de-stress facilities are occupied.
  • I'm up to a year on this, entering my 53rd week, not bad for a month of 20 minute bursts.  Had my first big death yesterday, lost my level 6 man at arms to a heart attack.  Obviously I've lost a few of my better recruits before, but this guy had been with me since the first week or so, he was a big hitter on my B team.
  • I think I'm ready to give up.  It's been a good run, and believe it or not I'm pretty proud of myself for sticking with something so far out of my comfort zone for over a month of regular playing, but the jump from lv.3 to lv.5 stages is crushing.  I've got two full teams of level 6 characters on rotate, but I'm doing nothing but fail at the mo, with no further scope for stat boosts (I assume?).  The vastly increased frequency of enemy dodging is doing my head in, for want of a better phrase, and the pack shuffling surprise penalty is crippling at this level.   Yesterday morning I had two trains cancelled and a DLR journey that took three times longer than it should have, so I put well over an hour in and got almost nowhere (I did manage to fell the shrieker though, but I'm not sure how, he dodged 90% of all attacks then suddenly died).    

I've completed 15 of 30 quest goals and bagged 7 roster achievements.  Great game, but it's become too brutal for me.
  • That twat who randomly occupies slots in the tavern or abbey too, it's too much.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!