Darkest Dungeon: It CAN be felled, it CAN be beaten!
  • I've never even had a Level 6 character! Without seeing your stats it's hard to say about the dodge and reshuffle stuff, but generally you offset the latter by burning the torch bright and making sure a few characters have movement abilities they can use when out of position. There are abilities to prevent it ever happening after a camp, and they're must takes.
  • Getting ambushed after an otherwise successful camp is also evil.

Radiant takes the grind out, apparently, but it's still a bit much. Found this on another forum:
    Radiant mode doesn't make the game easier just less of a grind in the mid to late game. No monster placement or stats were changed in any way they just give you better access to filling your ranks and leveling folks more quickly. I believe the developers stated the goal of radiant mode was to take the normal completion time from 80 hours to 40 hours
  • If you're gonna camp, take people with skills that prevent the ambush *taps forehead*

Yeah, Radiant isn't an "easy" mode per se, but being able to take people into missions they're 2-3 levels higher than is obscene.
  • So I started this yesterday and have done a few expeditions. A couple successful. One where I had to turn back and go home halfway through.

I started on the easy level though, just to get to grips with how things work. Wondering if I should start again on normal now or keep going with this. Am I missing out on the real deal?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You mean you started on the easier dungeons? I don't remember if there's an overall difficulty level to the game. Anyway, some of the easy dungeons are tough enough.
  • The easier difficulty was hard enough for me (I accidentally started on hard, then restarted on easy and never had the stones to start again on normal). I think you can grind it out through attrition in the standard difficulty, it just happens more quickly on easy (they're not really standard difficulty settings per se, you just level up faster depending on which you choose maybe?), but there's so much failure involved on the way to any meaningful achievements I couldn't hack it in the end. There's a hell of a lot to like though, the battle system is pretty addictive.
  • Also, a lot of the truly evil stuff can be switched off in a toggle menu in the settings , so you'll have to work out what feels best for you.
  • 60% off on GOG. I caved.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • This getting a sequel!
  • ERMAGERD
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I'd give this a shot if it wasn't turnbased any more.
  • That'd require a pretty hardcore change of priorities and mechanics.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Yes it would.
  • A sequel? I still haven't finished the first game.
  • Started playing this and I have no idea what the fuck is going on our how the game actually works. No idea what the items do (would it really be so difficult to tell me, game?) and I keep getting wiped out. It's so hard. But. It's strangely addictive.
    Anyone got any tips?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Sounds like you have it pretty much under control, from my experience.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Started playing this and I have no idea what the fuck is going on our how the game actually works. No idea what the items do (would it really be so difficult to tell me, game?) and I keep getting wiped out. It's so hard. But. It's strangely addictive. Anyone got any tips?

Experiment. You will die loads. I've plopped about 200 hours into it and finished it several times. I loved the game. 

TIPS:

1) Stress management is usually more important than health management, try and work out which enemies are dealing stress damage and pop them off first. It's usually the pricks in the back row

2) Be careful who you use in what areas. Taking characters that stack bleed is useless in the ruins, taking characters that stack blight is useless in the weald. Also those bleed and blight status effects are real usefull for wearing down enemies. The plague Doctors Plague Grenade is excellent

3) Keep the torch lit, 8 torches per small dungeon, experiment with the little items you can investigate as you can get some cracking rewards if you use an specific items on them, using bandages on the iron maiden etc. Take at least one shovel per small dungeon.
  • Anyone tried the follow up?
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Stress management is usually more important than health management, try and work out which enemies are dealing stress damage and pop them off first. It's usually the pricks in the back row

As in life, so in art.
  • I can't stop playing this, it's fucking amazing. Taken down quite a few bosses now and I'm finding some great character combos. Occultist is essential and has become my main healer and along with Man at Arms and his riposte, the Abomination and the Plague Doctor I'm making loads of progress. I don't think a game has obsessed me this much since StS.
  • Gremill wrote:
    I can't stop playing this, it's fucking amazing. Taken down quite a few bosses now and I'm finding some great character combos. Occultist is essential and has become my main healer and along with Man at Arms and his riposte, the Abomination and the Plague Doctor I'm making loads of progress. I don't think a game has obsessed me this much since StS.

It's my favourite game of the last decade. You playing on Stigian or radiant? Any DLC? Jester is my man. Slowly fight your way to the front then Finale. Amazing.
  • Dogfingers wrote:
    Gremill wrote:
    I can't stop playing this, it's fucking amazing. Taken down quite a few bosses now and I'm finding some great character combos. Occultist is essential and has become my main healer and along with Man at Arms and his riposte, the Abomination and the Plague Doctor I'm making loads of progress. I don't think a game has obsessed me this much since StS.

It's my favourite game of the last decade. You playing on Stigian or radiant? Any DLC? Jester is my man. Slowly fight your way to the front then Finale. Amazing.

I must be playing on radiant, as I don't know what either of those things are! No DLC, just the base game.
  • Dogfingers wrote:
    Thanks for accommodating my laziness
    Oh yes the jester, oh the jester
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!