Trials Rising - February 2019
  • So - DS said something about the rllmuk forum and trials and I was like... Oh yeah, maybe they are talking about trials. Since I got a TV with much lower input lag over Christmas I'd been wanting to get back into things a bit, so I went over to see what people thought. It turns out, they had an abortive trials tourney like we did back in the day. And what's this...? DS had played a track. Betrayal I tell you!

Anyway - DS I took the b&b forum pride back by boshing out the world record on Smush inc. You're welcome.
  • Good stuff. In a twist no-one saw coming whoever's sitting in third place is me.
  • I reinstalled Trials Fusion on a whim last week. Was the point where the series lost its grip on me but at least it hasn't got the dumb grindy unlock progression system/world map etc. Not keen on all the future metal and UFOs but it plays a fine game.
  • The dlc tracks are really good, especially the last few (except the last).
  • Just one track left to pass, and it's the big one. I passed Curse of the Demon today, which is a level 4. Black belt is supposed be a borderline level 6, so I won't be passing it any time soon.
  • If I could be this good at anything I'd choose Trials. Well played my man.
  • If you played it loads you'd get really good at it.
  • Playing a bit of Fusion again. I got a 0 fault on Rise of the Machine, which means I've got all of the extreme platinums on Rising, Fusion, Evolution and HD (except the Evolution DLC which are no longer available). It's over two minutes of pretty boring driving, so I'll spare a video. 

However... I also got a decent run on another custom track, which is much more interesting as it's the first 'proper' track I've passed that requires stationaries. It's a front wheel / back wheel track, hence the odd way of doing the obstacles.

• Moving from the xbox thread...
    No regrets at all for buying the game nor the expansion. Yes lots of nuisance twat features and functionality but the tracks are such a step up from what I was playing in Trials HD that it’s totally worth it. Even physics aspects, which previously were kinda annoying, have more weight to them which stops them feeling cheap and ruining tracks

Ironically, most of the improvement came from Evo 10 years ago, when Trials burst out of the warehouse. What a time that was. Rising is very much a refinement on that engine, putting aside what happened to the physics in Fusion. Fusion was/is great for ninja difficulty tracks, but for normal casual play and speed running it's dog shit.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Evo is so fecking good but going back to it there's some utter shit on there. When they got it right though, it's never bettered. BMX is flawless.
  • Yep - the physics tracks are terrible. The sewer one where you have to rely on the random amount of power the jets give you, for example, and the one where there's just a bunch of moving platforms. Awful.
  • With that said, there are some bad tracks in Rising. Specifically, the ninja tracks (bar the dlc ones) are awful.

Edit: Maybe I take that back. Blue belt is ok, and white and yellow belt are meh.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    And then you get Rollercoaster which is an almost perfect speed track. Such a weird mix.

Can't fault any of Risings tracks tbh.

Edit: not even unlocked Ninjas so no idea
  • I wish I could play the Evo DLCs. 

Actually, I am wondering now if I own them. I should check my 360.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    If you don't you can legit have my old account. I'm never gonna play it again and it only really has Evo on it
  • You guys play with the sticks or d-pad? I've gotten used to d-pad right now but will switch it up if this is a bad habit to ingrain
  • What's the issue with Fusion?
  • Also, how reliable are the bike recommendations? I've just been going with whatever they choose
  • Forgot how good this is and im not even good at it. For all the jumps and spectacle I think I'm happiest when I'm just going uphill over and over, probably because I don't need any knowledge of the tracks to nail those segments first time
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Sticks for me. I think dubs uses d pad.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    mrsmr2 wrote:
    What's the issue with Fusion?

Aesthetic, all that future stuff was gash. It also handles badly for anything but Ninja due to it having tightened grip.
  • Some people use keyboard, so probably not a problem using dpad. 

Bike recommendations are usually absolutely fine. Sometimes the Mantis is quicker when the Rhino is recommended. On the non-extreme tracks, the difference between the Rhino, Mantis and Helium is usually very small (and the other bikes can be ignored). For extreme tracks, the Rhino can be ignored, and the Helium is usually easier to use than the Mantis.
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    What's the issue with Fusion?
    Aesthetic, all that future stuff was gash. It also handles badly for anything but Ninja due to it having tightened grip.

I don't think it was so much the grip - it was the incredibly spongey suspension and lightness of the bike, coupled with the centre of gravity which was exactly in the centre. It's really easy to control/hold leaning in Fusion, but it doesn't feel very good when you're going fast. For Rising, they moved the balance point back and made the suspension less punishing. That worked great for speed running, but it kind of messed up ninjas - the Rising bike feels disgustingly stiff after playing Fusion.

Rising also added this weird magnetism to the tyres. I have a pet theory on why they did it, but whatever the reason, it fucked up ninja riding even more.
  • I've been dabbling with Fusion again recently. Future shite aside it's a fun game to push through if you're just looking for 0 faults.
  • That makes sense. Just been playing HD, Evo (demo), and Fusion back to back. Found HD to be very bouncy and hard to get it to flow. Evo had much firmer suspension so easier to flow. Fusion felt to be in the middle.

Evo seemed a bit simplified so I'd assumed they'd added a bit of bounce for the challenge. This is a noob comparison though - I wouldn't know the nuance of the advanced handling (and never will).
  • Sometimes I find myself wishing there was an additional restart track option, but this time with a single second countdown before the restart, as opposed to it being instant. My slow brain gets a bit tangled when I have to instantly adjust my posture at the same time as hitting the reset button, especially when the first obstacle requires a bit of speedy weight shifting
  • Got to the hard tracks in Fusion and finding the bouncing suspension similar to HD e.g. hard to keep control.
  • Just tried the Rising demo on PC. That controls very nicely.
  • Rising is way more fun to play casually - in my opinion anyway.
    Sometimes I find myself wishing there was an additional restart track option, but this time with a single second countdown before the restart, as opposed to it being instant. My slow brain gets a bit tangled when I have to instantly adjust my posture at the same time as hitting the reset button, especially when the first obstacle requires a bit of speedy weight shifting

I thought it was a 1 second count down for track reset (the old 'select' select button - not sure what it's called these days)? Am I just remembering wrong?
  • How did I not notice this. Yes you are right

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!