Slay the Spire: B&B GOTY 2018, 2020, 2021, and Forum Pariah 2019
‹ Previous1234567131
  • 4fdd058154abfcd9d89219a1fc95b40b.jpg

What is it: Slay the Spire is a roguelike card battler where you pick from one of three character classes and attempt to ascend the titular Spire, by navigating a series of fights and events over three floors, each capped by a selection of bosses. The art is fairly dull, the plot is almost non-existent, but it has mechanics that are really finely honed, and the variety of stuff you can do means replaying it never feels like a chore.

What Platforms is it on: It's early access at the moment, so PC only. Switch is in consideration, asking here won't hurry them up.

Why should I care: Roguelikes are an offshoot of Rogue, a permadeth RPG on a grid based system, but mainstream audiences aren't too into that kind of stratified system. Games like Spelunky and Isaac really popularised the roguelike formula by twinning the permadeath and procgen levels and pickups with action sensibilities. Slay the Spire goes back to a more deterministic style approach but adds in the element of a deck of cards, adding some randomness into what you can do. Your skill at drafting cards as you win fights so you can create a deck that works well, coupled with your ability to calculate the correct move at any given time are where the strategy comes in. It's a game that if you're good at it, you can pretty much always win, but getting that good at it takes ages.

The three character classes in the game have individual decks with no card crossover besides the standard attack and defence cards. Draw, Play, Discard and Exhausts are the verbs that make up your turns, but each character has a spin on what playing feels like given their innate traits, their card pool, and the relics that they can pick up. It's a game of beautiful and incredibly satisfying synergies, where a single card or passive relic can turn a run around. You can win with a deck stuffed full of cards that you can roll through without hesitation, or you can hone your deck down into a handful of cards that allow you to run infinite combos.

Yeah, but...: If people are interested, I might well do an "Intro To" style stream. It's absolutely worth looking beyond the card game facade, and the fairly underwhelming aesthetic presentation, because the game underneath it is brimming with brilliant ideas and incredibly smart design decisions that have seen me put near enough 100 hours into it over the past few months.
  • Great stuff tempy
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Great Priest Tempree, is there a planned launch date for this yet? Or is it very much in "it's done when it's done" land?

Looking forward to giving this a go once Dead Cells has relinquished it's grip.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • They were planning Summer 2018, it's pretty much close to being finished I reckon. All three characters are in, most of the cards and relics are in, it's more complete than some big budget releases.
  • This is good news. I will probably have a peek upon actual release then.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • It's been on my wishlist for ages... I'm getting it as soon as it's out of early access.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • Had another go this morning (was up early and couldn’t get my switch for complex reasons
    Played as the boy with the goat head, enjoyed it more - was stacking up the poisons. Really need to read a guide to help me understand it a bit more.
    There is a bit of darkest dungeon in the mix.
    Mrs Charlie watched my play it for 2 mins and thought it looked rubbish.
    Undoubtedly a very annoying observation but having this on mobile device (iPad or Switch) would make a huge difference to the time I could give the game.

• Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Interest was peaked by its links to Netrunner but the art put me right off.

Might have a look when it's fully launched cos I know it's highly regarded.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Piqued?
  • I think it works as peaked as well, considering he was on the downward slope after seeing the art.
  • Confirmed for Switch, get ready to be obsessed with this after Dead Cells has ground you to a pulp.

Had another go this morning (was up early and couldn’t get my switch for complex reasons
    Played as the boy with the goat head, enjoyed it more - was stacking up the poisons. Really need to read a guide to help me understand it a bit more.
    There is a bit of darkest dungeon in the mix.
    Mrs Charlie watched my play it for 2 mins and thought it looked rubbish.
    Undoubtedly a very annoying observation but having this on mobile device (iPad or Switch) would make a huge difference to the time I could give the game.

Goat head boy is a lass, The Silent (weird how people assume she’s a he and that the Time Keeper in DC is a lad too)

I don’t think you need a guide more than you really just need to keep playing for general game knowledge. Learning how to deal with enemies to not take damage as the Silent, or when to trade damage for damage as the Ironclad, is really important.

Learning how to route is helpful too. Ideally you want as many shops and bonfires as you can manage so you can remove all your strikes (unless you’re playing for a big or strike deck) and buy cheap high value cards, and when you are confident enough at the game’s systems you can start maximising elite combats.

It’s hard to know when you are good enough to take them on in the early game, but most pros try to hit 3 fights beforehand to give them more chance to draft a good card to help with the Elite, like sucker punch or uppercut.

If you’re new at the game it’s actuslky probably better to ignore all that advice for a few hours, and just keep it in mind whilst you figure things out so you can try the good strategy and see how it improves things.
  • Really need this on switch to put some proper time in
    “Undefined in 2019” can’t come soon enough!

• FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Yeh I'm all over this on Switch, looks right up my Alley. I want Gwent on Switch too please.
  • I see you tempeh, shaking dat ass, skaking dat ass.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Had my first crack last night. Dominion playing helped me get the gist.

Interested in how replays work as far as cars collection goes. Can I select deck prior to next run? Or am I just constantly battling between collecting after fights and affording removal at merchant?
  • I really enjoyed this but after making it to the “end” once I don’t feel the pull to return

• So now I'm a little confused.

Gave each class a go. First 2 I get the basics of. Third class and it's orbs I didn't know wtf was happening or why. Will save him for later.

Decided I'd just run ironclad a lot to get used to things.

Not sure I actually understand what carries over and what doesn't. And when it says it's added a card to possibles, possible what?

Gold resets, basic hand starts the same everytime.

What actually grows so you access more stuff?

I have done better as I've gone on, so maybe I am just learning.

• Every time you play you gain EXP. That EXP should level you up eventually, and at that point you'll unlock new cards. These get added to the potential cards you can get as rewards from fights, buy from the shop, earn through events, etc.

So my compendium should look different to yours if sorted by cost:

JIbTHgk.png?1

You will also unlock more relics as you go on, and relics provide very interesting synergies and strategies, so having them in the pool is great.

Your basic card pool always remains the same (unless you do a daily), but if you beat the first boss you will be rewarded on your respawn and get given a choice of three blessings which can be anything from potions, to gold, to swapping starting relics, to ditching or upgrading cards.

The main thing that changes is your skill, hopefully in line with your progress through unlocking extra cards. Like a great rogue-like, the breadth of the game is what is impressive. The depth never really changes unless you get big relics that allow you to play long infinite combos, but the breadth of your combos and synergies widens as you go on - not just the cards and relics that unlock, but your understanding of them and how they interact.

Any questions, fire away.
  • Coolio.
  • The defect is great btw. The orbs are simple when you get them. You have three slots, 3, 2 ,1. If you channel an orb, you add to the first empty slot, starting from one and working backwards. 

At the end of your turn, any orb that is currently in play will trigger, and its passive effect will play out. lightning orbs deal 3 damage to a random enemy, ice robs give you 2 block. Simple stuff. If you evoke an orb it will shatter and unleash a more powerful version of its passive.

Simple stuff. If your slots are full, and you channel an orb, it evokes the orb in slot one, every orb moves forward a slot, and your channeled orb takes up slot 2. 

Now what if I told you that there were cards that increase their damage or block the more orbs you have evoked that fight? Or that there are ways to double the effectiveness of passive or evoked effects? Or ways to trigger your passives based on certain actions as well as getting the free passive at the end of your turn? What if I told you... that you can get more slots!

Matrix-Morpheus.jpg
  • Is this out on Switch yet?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Next year
    Agree re the defect tempy, he is the the most interesting of the characters

• Defect Tempy would definitely be an interesting character.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Ha

• First time beating 2nd area and I get straight through to end of 3rd. It could crash at any moment though. There's some damage coming my way that's a fucking problem with the wrong hand.
  • Does save and quit not work?
  • It should?

My advice for floor 2 and 3 is to avoid elites like the plague.
  • Some Guy got this too, after a brief go at mine.

I've unlocked all for ironclad. Halfway there with silent.

Can't get as far with silent though.
  • Silent is tougher. You wanna focus much more on block, things like backflip and cloak & dagger give you a lot of block with utility, chuck in a Well laid plans so you can set up your next turn, and then focus on either poison or shivs.
  • How early is this?
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
‹ Previous1234567131

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!