Consumer ethics
‹ Previous1234
  • I was just reading this piece from Current Affairs:

Is it ethical to use Amazon?
    I can never be sure, when I think about the ethics of using Amazon, whether I’m allowing my desires to manipulate my reasoning. Do I just want to find a justification for doing what I enjoy doing, the same way everyone who is complicit in evil can come up with an argument for why what they’re doing is Actually Good? I know a lot of motivated reasoning occurs around animal rights, for instance—taking the issue seriously leads to very disturbing conclusions about people’s role in a horrendous atrocity, so we come up with flimsy excuses to avoid confronting the obvious.
    It's worth reading.

But also this is a type of dilemma we're often faced with today. So, I was wondering what people think about it. Do you make an effort to buy ethically? Do you feel it's your responsibility? Do you feel guilty or hypocritical about what you buy? Is it simply impossible to consume ethically? What rules do you try to follow? etc.
  • Good meaning might not always translate to good practice. Remember food miles?

"Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I do try to check where things are made, avoid known bastards, buy free range eggs etc but it's more or less impossible to be wholly ethical without going full survivalist mentalist.
  • I’m probably a hypocrite.

I only buy free range eggs. I’m astonished that battery farming is still legal. When I see eggs from caged hens, I want to smash them all on the supermarket floor so that nobody can buy them.

Some would argue that eating eggs at all is a problem, but I personally don’t see an incompatibility between wanting animals to be treated humanely and in an actively caring manner, and wanting to eat them.

I don’t check on the treatment of the cows whose milk I drink, or whose beef I eat, though, and I should. I look for cheaper chicken, because I can’t afford the organic, corn-fed stuff, which is probably ethically more viable.

I also hate that the large corporations don’t legitimately operate and pay their taxes. But it’s cheaper and easier. I’m already living beyond my means, which I’m in the process of addressing (mental-health fuelled, mad Lego spends aside) but I can’t afford not to.

It’s very selfish. I’m as bad as the majority of the population I routinely criticise; I say that I’d like more money to be spent on the NHS, schools, Police etc but, when it comes to the crunch, it seems that getting replacement headphone ear pads sent to my house without having to trawl through the Yellow Pages, and getting that done cheaply, is more important to me.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I do what I can, and change my habits as I learn. On the permanent boycott list are Nestle, Coca Cola, anything belonging to Rupert Murdoch (Times, Sky TV, etc.), and Dyson. On the "avoid if possible list" are Sony and Apple.

I've also been vegetarian for coming up to 11 years now, and have recently decided to go "vegan for breakfast", so basically I've swapped out milk for one of the plant based alternatives on my cereal. This is for environmental reasons, rather than purely ethical. Reducing the cruelty to animals that my diet causes is a nice bonus after effect to reducing my CO2 footprint, essentially.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Srsly fuck Nestle.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    What's the problem with Dyson? I don't have anything by them, just wondering.
  • Isn’t Nestle boycotting effectively impossible because they own so much of the supply chain even on stuff where they aren’t in the label?
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    This is for environmental reasons, rather than purely ethical. Reducing the cruelty to animals that my diet causes is a nice bonus after effect to reducing my CO2 footprint, essentially.

Is it though?

The ethical reasons are well known, I have no quarrel there.

But environmental claims that vegetarian diet alone is better is not entirely true. Sure, there are less CO2 emissions than cow bums, but what about the ecological impact of monocultures, pesticides, herbicides and land clearing? That has surely driven many species to the brink or beyond of extinction.

Flying over hundreds of continuous kilometres of grain crop really drives home how little room is left for native flora and fauna.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Don’t quite know what I’m on about. I’ll try and dig up the article I read but it was years ago.
  • Kow wrote:
    What's the problem with Dyson? I don't have anything by them, just wondering.

He’s a tax dodging Brexiteer from memory
  • monkey wrote:
    Isn’t Nestle boycotting effectively impossible because they own so much of the supply chain even on stuff where they aren’t in the label?

Even if thats true, avoiding their branded bits will have some impact.
  • I go through phases. Mostly try and boycott Israeli products. Used to boycott companies that support Israel too but then I wouldn’t ever be buying much.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Kow wrote:
    I do try to check where things are made, avoid known bastards, buy free range eggs etc but it's more or less impossible to be wholly ethical without going full survivalist mentalist.

This basically.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I try my best. There's a reasonably long list of companies I'm boycotting either for personal slights or wider societal issues. Including WHSmith, Sports Direct (so many reasons for that one) Dyson, the Sun, Sky (directly anyway), and any form of ridiculous packaging including use once coffee pods.

I've no issues at all with Amazon. A wonderful company.
  • WorKid wrote:
    A wonderful company.

Unless youre an employee needing a toilet break.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Definitely put me in the lazy, selfish, excuse making hypocrite camp. I'd love to be an ethically sound consumer, but the limits it would put on me to become one, the inconveniences, expenses, the amount of research with contradictory arguments to wade through etc. only to get myself into a position where I can finally say I'm ok and doing my bit but not making a blind bit of difference to the overall situation does not appeal to me.

It's the kind of shit governments are supposed to collaborate on and solve, you can't do much as an individual. Can you?
  • My partner is a vegetarian (not far off vegan) and we get a cracking weekly delivery of locally grown, seasonal veg. It's really nice. I love getting big freaky soil covered carrots the like of which would never darken the door of Tesco.
  • The most recent South Park has made me question using amazon.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • On a related note, I try and make my own lunch every day. It's cheaper. Although I don't always manage it.

Nearly everyone else at work goes out for lunch, to Pret, Hop, Coco Di Mama or whatever.

A few girls have brought in plastic tubs with lockable lids (you know the ones) and insist that the lunch places they go to fill up their tubs instead of giving them plastic stuff to throw away. They eat with real cutlery they will then wash instead of throwing away more plastic.

Amazing girls. They had to fight to get some places to serve them! But imagine if everyone did that.

Gives me a bit of hope when I see stuff like that.

• I can’t remember where I read it recently but there was a very depressing article about meat consumption and the pointless global ethics of voluntary vegetarianism and veganism. Effectively the food industry all so propped up by subsidies and deals with countries and governments that anyone choosing to go vegetarian or vegan makes no dent in the matter at all. It would require legislature and a massive structural reform of the entire system to enforce a reduction in meat consumption to even begin to undo the negative effects that it’s had on the planet. Thinking about it, it might have been something Rouj posted.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Due to massive corruption and thieving politicians here, tax dodging is verging on being a community service really. I don't have that much issue with it.
  • Vela wrote:
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    This is for environmental reasons, rather than purely ethical. Reducing the cruelty to animals that my diet causes is a nice bonus after effect to reducing my CO2 footprint, essentially.
    Is it though? The ethical reasons are well known, I have no quarrel there. But environmental claims that vegetarian diet alone is better is not entirely true. Sure, there are less CO2 emissions than cow bums, but what about the ecological impact of monocultures, pesticides, herbicides and land clearing? That has surely driven many species to the brink or beyond of extinction. Flying over hundreds of continuous kilometres of grain crop really drives home how little room is left for native flora and fauna.
    See, this is one of the main issues I have with the whole concept of ethical consumerism. You try and do something right and then someone tells you that it's still wrong, and then you don't know which information is more accurate or are left doing constant research into every company and item you want to buy.

At that point the question is whether it's really our responsibility as individuals to know all this stuff and make personal decisions to try and mitigate negative effects. I can see why some people would go, 'You know what? Fuck it.'

I don't think that's OK, of course, but it's a reasonable response to being asked to know and make judgements about all this stuff, which should really be decided at a higher level - nationally or even globally.

So, FWIW, I certainly have personal ethical lines that I don't cross, such as buying free range eggs, but I can't pretend to be consistent with every decision I make. In a way it's hypocritical, but it also comes down to what I can afford or whether I think the alternative option is clearly better. Mostly, what I prefer to do is simply consume less - to not buy anything I either don't need or won't use - to reduce waste and overall support for a system built on exploitation and cruelty.

The other thing to do is look out for actual campaigns to boycott certain things that have clear goals, such as the BDS campaign against goods from Israeli settlements. When those sorts of things take off they can put pressure on companies and politicians. More generally, I think it's about making these things political issues and refusing the idea that they are simply personal ethical choices. Less about choosing fair trade over the other brand and more a question of why there's an 'unfair trade' choice on the shelf to begin with.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Will always avoid Israeli stuff because they're cunts.
  • One thing I will say, I'll never look at a plastic straw the same way again after seeing a video of one being removed with pliers from a turtle's nostril.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I just buy from wherever is cheapest. I have no code of ethics whatsoever.
  • WorKid wrote:
    They had to fight to get some places to serve them!

The canteen lady at my work refuses to give me my egg/sausage/bacon softie in just the napkin, she says it has to go in a cardboard box.

I’d love to be able to take my glass stopper bottles to Tesco, and have them filled up with the milk and concentrated squash I buy, rather than the plastic bottles.

I don’t understand why raw meat has to be sold in rigid containers four times the size of the meat they contain.
  • Vela wrote:
    Blue Swirl wrote:

Is it though?

The ethical reasons are well known, I have no quarrel there.

But environmental claims that vegetarian diet alone is better is not entirely true. Sure, there are less CO2 emissions than cow bums, but what about the ecological impact of monocultures, pesticides, herbicides and land clearing? That has surely driven many species to the brink or beyond of extinction.

Flying over hundreds of continuous kilometres of grain crop really drives home how little room is left for native flora and fauna.

Most of that grain will be for cattle feed. Growing food for people would take up less space and resources.

People always smugly talk about how soya is bad actually as if it justifies not needing to bother examining or changing their own eating habits.

I'm vegan and try to avoid palm oil and almonds but its hard and I don't think it makes any difference other than on a personal level. I'm also a shitty hypocrite that loves an avocado.

Everything is fucked.
  • Someone should tell the turtles cocaine is unethical.
‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!