Little Rogue: A thread about Roguelikes, there will be Rogues, like, innit.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Anyone played Phantom Abyss? I'm intrigued based on it having been equated to a cross between Mirror's Edge and Spelunky, but won't be investigating it for a while yet since I'm away from my gaming PC just now.
  • Not played Phantom Abyss, was wondering if anyone had played Children of Morta? I should have tried it on gamepass really but my sub has lapsed. It's £7 on Switch at the mo. Combat looks good, watched a cpuple of video reviews but I'm still not sure. Visuals are legit.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Finally completed Day 1 on Atomicrops. Took me a good few tries to figure out the final boss in the Nuclear Winter season.

Really like this game. It has a nice loop, some great abilities and fun combos. It gets pretty hectic on screen, especially as you go into Winter. Definitely took me a good few plays to get into the chaos.

If anyone doesn't know, it's a farming game where you're exploring and unlocking the outer areas to find items, seeds etc to grow more crops and survive the enemy waves that rock up at night to destroy them.

Good fun.
  • On the pile o shame for a while, nabbed it in EA on epic AGES ago.

Just DLed morta, moot. Might crank it up later and report back.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I played a little of Children of Morta. Looks pretty but the combat wasn't doing it for me
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Finally completed Day 1 on Atomicrops. Took me a good few tries to figure out the final boss in the Nuclear Winter season. Really like this game. It has a nice loop, some great abilities and fun combos. It gets pretty hectic on screen, especially as you go into Winter. Definitely took me a good few plays to get into the chaos. If anyone doesn't know, it's a farming game where you're exploring and unlocking the outer areas to find items, seeds etc to grow more crops and survive the enemy waves that rock up at night to destroy them. Good fun.
    I liked it too, but didn't see much point in continuing after the first year was complete. It doesn't vary much between runs. Maybe they've added a lot more to it since it came out though. Some different bosses would be a start, so it's not always the same one at the end of a season.
  • I played a little of Children of Morta. Looks pretty but the combat wasn't doing it for me

This may be fair. I basically did the tute and died second floor of first dungeon in story mode. Diablo meets Rogue. VO guy is great. Purdy as hell. I appreciated the point right stick to hack n Slash option.

Won't really be able to know the legs until I level up/try other characters.

Appears it has local co op though. Hello.

• I don't think I like Diablo, but now that I've typed that I'm not sure what I'm basing that on as I've never played it.  What I'll do is renew GP at some point and have a bash then rather than grabbing it in the current sale, cheers chaps.
  • I mean hades has a touch of the diablo if we loosen terms enough.

Not sure how the spectrum goes, but at one end there's hold button and point to attack and at the other there's timed parries, combos, strict positioning etc. This leans a long way to former.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I've put about 20 hours (loads for me) into Unexplored 2. The first one was good but I I'm really enjoying this one. Every time you die it's back to the beginning but the world advances a few years and things change a bit. You can store some things in a vault but everything else is gone. It also has a epic sound track, one of the best I've heard in ages.
  • Might have to get on that and the first one at some point.

Bit more of morta done. It's pretty cool. Actually very similar in structure to the slawmancer.

Meanwhile, finally did the light ending for ring of pain on medium difficulty. Been tough sledding.

They haven't got the balancing exactly right yet, but it's definitely better. For what is a pseudo-card game, the final third of the ring is legit spectacular. Fair bit going on on screen, and the number Wang is satisfying.
  • More people should try Below I reckon. It's on sale for a few more hours on PSN and Xbox I think, £6 and £8 respectively. I'm still not quite sure what it is as it reveals absolutely nothing about its systems or goals (other than go down, I guess), but I'm loving it so far. I could compare bits and pieces to other games but it seems to be very much its own thing on the whole.

It's not a Moot game, I think it's more of a Tempy one.
  • Too much stuff to play right now but i’ve been interested.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It was in gamepass at release but didn't really grab me. Hmm.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Below is a fine mood piece with some great aesthetic moments that, at its best, really captures the roguelike-struggling descent into the unknown.

Mechanically however, it is pretty slight. And the infamous, seemingly never-ending darkness levels will not be for everyone. 

I did it all on Survival difficulty but would recommend Explore.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • I'm pretty sure I wouldn't fancy survival difficulty (which was the only mode pre update). Agree that it's mechanically slight but the combat has a nice enough feel to it.
  • Been plugging away at fights in tight spaces today/this week. Finally starting to click. Still in EA and still some kinks to iron out, but it's a hefty size and very cool in concept.

(unsure whether to strictly call it a Rogue, but structure is pretty well there.)
  • I had a half hour go on Ring of Pain for 4 hours last night.
    Decent enough, not sure it has the depth of something like STS or even Monster Train but its fun and easy to pick up.
    The main thing i would praise is just how quick it is to restart . That is what kept me locked in way longer than anticipated.

It has an interesting concept and planning strats around the ring become essential later on it just lacks that balance STS does so well.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I was surprised to see game over after about two moves on my first attempt.
  • Yeah the first ring is generally easy but you have to have got the jist of the game.
    Saying that I have had some starts which came down to rolling the dice on stealth, which led to insta-fail that I could do nothing about. Not a biggy as it restarts so fast.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I need twelve more play points and then I can get StS on Android for free. At which point my life is essentially over, right?
  • Tempted by Dunegeon Encounters. Gamecentral loved it but there's only 3 reviews out.
  • Did not get on with Morta one bit.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Yeah the first ring is generally easy but you have to have got the jist of the game.
    Saying that I have had some starts which came down to rolling the dice on stealth, which led to insta-fail that I could do nothing about. Not a biggy as it restarts so fast.

Yeah, it is possible to die quick, at any point.

Unsure what modes it gives you at the start, can't remember what they're called, but I think you only have 1 candle version.

There's 3 different starting builds though, and some are much harder than others.

The one that let's you choose a piece of starting gear is defo the easiest.

I dig it for quick dip ins now. Nearly everything just does what it says in the tin.

Only minor gripe is around overall structure, would generally like a bit more time with late game deck than you generally get. Depending on boss route you take, you can be absolutely rolling, after a hard slog, and then it's over.

But man, a good run on those final stages is glorious.

• Sounds like Insryption is the new rogue daddy, not in terms of actual core mechanics but it terms of having the confidence to feel like very little else out there. First time i’ve felt intrigued by a new game in a hot minute: https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2021-10-22-inscryption-review-a-wonderful-nightmare-and-a-vividly-memorable-game-of-cards
  • So Banners of Ruin.

Finally beat a run once. But man, there's plenty to replay for. Gotta give it credit, plety to unlock, plenty of perks/difficulty bonus/modifiers, 6 classes, buckets of cards, a number of path choices with different things going on, so yeah, plenty of stuff to fuck about with.

Finally realised you can choose to go solo from the start, instead of starting with 2 characters. 

Would thoroughly recommend it as the way to play at first. There's enough mechanics to learn without also having to suss how 2 characters interact and what it does to your deck.

Finally got a few cool synergies to work and understand what everything means last 2 runs. 

Very very good game.
  • When you gonna get on "Yay Anther Card Game" Inscryption Face? I reckon you'll like it a lot.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!