Little Rogue: A thread about Roguelikes, there will be Rogues, like, innit.
  • Okay I gave it a run over lunch. 

HOLY FUCK GUYS. 

This is like Slay the Spire crossed with Darkest Dungeon, not sure where the X-Com comparison comes in, I guess a little bit in how the turn resolves. 

It's very similar to Spire in terms of how the cards and the energy pool works. You also pick your route through the levels. 

The combat is quite interesting because you summon multiple units, cast spells and then when you end the turn the combats between your and the enemy units resolve. 

I guess there's a tower defence element as well, because the enemy is trying to work it's way up the floors on your train carriage to reach the crystal at the top and destroy it, if they destroy it the game ends, the crystal has it's own life pool though, and you can also restore health to at it rest stops a bit like spire. 

It seems like there's a lot of depth to the combat, as your characters have a lot of different synergies. I'll probably stream at some point over the weekend so if you're curious you can check it out!

Tl;dr - I'm getting the same vibes I had from Slay the Spire when I started playing that, which is hopefully a very good sign.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Sold.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • One evening in and this is deffo good. It feels as good as Spire, it's early days with the game, but based on what's in it, it looks like I may possibly end up preferring it to Spire, which is crazy because Spire is best deckbuilder. 

This game is just slay the spire, but with more stuff to do during a fight. It's a bit less reliant on knowing the attack patterns of enemies, and more about how many ways you can be a dirty fucking cheater with how you order your characters and what buffs you give them. Very appealing to the bit of me that will always love Binding of Isaac, the greatest roguelike to ever be like Rogue. 

Managed to clear my first run after a few goes trying to find my feet and watching a couple of vids.

Oh yeah and it's 20% off on steam now.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Had one run and it looks good. StS was so well balanced and I guess time will tell with this but so far it is scratching that itch.
  • Oops, forget that I came in here to say that Darkest Dungeon is Steam ftp weekend and under £5 right now.
  • Glorious. Witness the anarchy of this game. I fear I cannot go back to Spire because the batshittery in Monster Train is off the charts. With the exception of Dead Branch or Creative AI runs, I haven't seen the equivalent random card creation in this game yet, although I'm nowhere near unlocking the full range of cards. 

EZRD6idX0AUBLx-?format=jpg&name=large
  • Oh dear, this game has it's hooks in.
  • ALL ABOARD!
  • What have I done? This'll be another 500 hrs of my rapidly decreasing lifespan.
  • Can't find the twitch thread right now, but I'll give this a stream this evening for anyone who wants to escape the current news cycle for a bit. Will start around 19:00-20:00.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Can't find the twitch thread right now, but I'll give this a stream this evening for anyone who wants to escape the current news cycle for a bit. Will start around 19:00-20:00.

am still working then so can tune in
  • Give it a thread someone. Sounds like it'll deserve it.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I inevitably end up going back to Unreal World.  This will not be for everyone.
  • Mentioned in itchio thread, beacon will be one to watch. Early Early access at the moment, but it has a vibe.

Hades had improved yet again. Amazing stuff.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Yeah Hades is good but I've not had a lot of time on it yet. Can I just saw that Enter The Gungeon's soundtrack is orgasmic? Yes, I can! It's sublime.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Can't find the twitch thread right now, but I'll give this a stream this evening for anyone who wants to escape the current news cycle for a bit. Will start around 19:00-20:00.

Now that you've had it for a week, does it hold up - I havent bought a game in ages and this is the one winking like crazy at me. Does it get the Rouj seal of approval?
    SFV - reddave360
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    With the news that Void Bastards is coming out on PS4 and Switch next month, do you think M$oft is likely to do a sale on their store before it releases on other formats? It currently stands at £25 which is a bit rich for my blood. I know the general consensus around these parts was that it lacked that 'one more go' factor, but would anyone else recommend it?

Void Bastards is awesome; it's not quite a "restart right now" rogue like, but it's brilliantly repayable in the sense of being able to just smash out another ship.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Roujin wrote:
    Now that you've had it for a week, does it hold up - I havent bought a game in ages and this is the one winking like crazy at me. Does it get the Rouj seal of approval?

I'm enjoying it as much as Spire. It gets the Rouj seal of approval for roguelikes.
  • Roujin wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Roujin wrote:
    I'm enjoying it as much as Spire. It gets the Rouj seal of approval for roguelikes.

Awesome, I'm in. Just waiting for the Train to download...
    SFV - reddave360
  • Ok, after a few run throughs, I'm getting the hang of it and it's very good fun - I though I had a winning combo with 3 of the 4 orb demon guys (good armour, deals out 50 on damage) - one on each level seemed to be doing great until I hit the final boss. Not sure I'm grasping everything but it's fun and different enough to Slay the Spire to work as a good alternate.
    SFV - reddave360
  • It's not as balanced as StS but it's probably more fun. It's StS - SEGA Blue Sky Edition.
  • Also, I can't seem to get past Asc19 Silent.
  • It's not as balanced as StS but it's probably more fun. It's StS - SEGA Blue Sky Edition.

Possibly true. I found my simple set up worked for all levels except the final one, and a lot of the cards I haven't used yet.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I've had Atomicrops for a while and only just got round to playing it properly. It's actually rather good.

It's a farming sim meets twin-stick shooter. During the day, you dig soil and plant seeds in your little patch, then explore the nearby areas for rarer seeds and other stuff, and come back to water and fertilise the crops. At night you have to survive an onslaught of enemies, some of which will try and eat your hard-earned veggies. Each season is made up of 3 days like this, with trips to town between days to stock up, and a boss at the end of each season. You can get animals, who take over digging and watering duties for you, pick axes to expand your plot, better guns, defence turrets, and various other things.

I've had a few runs and nearly survived a year so far, but the winter boss is a bit of a prick. I'm not sure if it has the variety for long term play, but it's a neat idea and it all works well.

• Slay the Spire just landed on iOS
  • djchump wrote:
    Slay the Spire just landed on iOS

Is it coming to Android? Because I'd find that just about impossible to resist.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Nice one Jon. I nabbed that ages ago from epic. From raw fury who I dig a lot, from memory. (kingdom, dandara and a few others I'm forgetting.)
  • djchump wrote:
    Slay the Spire just landed on iOS

Ha I was reading this thread and I’ve been thinking for months why the fuck isn’t it on iOS it’s perfect for it.
    I can’t be arsed booting my Xbox up to play a couple of games but iOS. Hell yeh.
    Buying it now.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I am 8 achievements (of 403) away from completing my first save file in Isaac.  I didn't realise it was going to be like this, but I can't stop playing.  

Realistically, it's just 4 achievements; beat The Lamb without any pickups, increase in size 5 times in a run, finish the Ultra Hard challenge, and complete a 5-win streak in Daily Challenges, which will then cause the other 4 to pop, but heck what a great little game.  I must be nearly 900 hours in.
  • I need 7 achievements to complete my first save file as well... Isaac is basically the only thing I play these days. Looking forward to the next expansion.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!