PlayStation VR 2
  • Obviously spoilers.

"Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I think that PSVR has done the most to establish VR as more than just a curiosity, and being the cheaper version of that was crucial to the uptake. Having Sonys internal studios making games is great too, as there is far less risk there.

The question is, what do they do next? They surely need to make current headsets work with PS5, but at the same time, they could do with releasing a new one thats higher specced. Can you have games work with both?
  • The Rogue One add-on is free on PSN I believe, so do I need a copy of the first or second SW Battlefront to get it to work?
  • I don't see why not, SteamVR copes with a multitude of headsets with differing specs and even controllers.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The Rogue One add-on is free on PSN I believe, so do I need a copy of the first or second SW Battlefront to get it to work?

Yes.
  • Ta.  £3.35 pre-owned on Amazon, result.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The Rogue One add-on is free on PSN I believe, so do I need a copy of the first or second SW Battlefront to get it to work?
    Yes.

First or second? I have the first but not the second, but I see it is on sale at the moment.
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • First.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I think that PSVR has done the most to establish VR as more than just a curiosity, and being the cheaper version of that was crucial to the uptake. Having Sonys internal studios making games is great too, as there is far less risk there.

The question is, what do they do next?  They surely need to make current headsets work with PS5, but at the same time, they could do with releasing a new one thats higher specced. Can you have games work with both?

Depends quite heavily on how they do their tracking on their next headset. Inside out (cameras on the headset) with new tracked controllers with sticks and more buttons may well be an option to increase the abilities of the whole thing hugely and bring a greater deal of parity web the pc vr market.

If they've proved the market is out there to play VR then ps5 is the time to move it forward.

Oculus will launch a standalone inside out headset (Oculus quest) with two tracked controllers in Q1 for £400. I can see Sony being able to make a ps5 powered similar thing for a good deal less.

I certainly don't see them having to keep the gen 1 headset as an option going forward.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • I’m gonna get mine setup again.

For the folks who have a 4K TV and version 1 , how do have your HDMI cable set up? I don’t want to change hdmi cables all the time so I can have HDR on my PS4 games
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • I don't think it would hurt though, much, and it's easy enough to implement. The Indies might be encouraged to make games for the store if they did. The downside is fragmentation and confusion. Guess we'll find out soon enough.
  • First.

Cheers.
  • Question, surely the human eye only needs an hd display on a small area of the screen? As long as that little piece goes to 8k the rest can be dog shit, no?
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Human eyes move extremely fast though.. amazingly fast really. Ultra fast tiny little cameras aren't cheap. So then all the render pipeline work has to move around the panel as fast as the tracked eye info sends the focus data back to the engine..

You've got bokeh potentially and depth of field in the image.. it's quite the bastard. There's a lot more too. Mathematically it's a git.

There's a hell of a lot of info that needs to happen very, very quickly to make foveated stuff useful.
    It's also apparently hard to get tracking working on all eye sizes shapes and types.
  • Yes, but unless you plan on seeing by just turning your neck instead of say, looking up, you're going to need a uniform high res screen anyway, although you don't need to render the part you're not looking at to anywhere like the resolution. It's called foveated rendering and they're on it.
  • isanbard wrote:
    There's a hell of a lot of info that needs to happen very, very quickly to make foveated stuff useful.

They're already doing it.

It's not that difficult to change the res quickly. The Switch does it on the fly to keep the frame rate @ 60fps on games like Splatoon.
  • Dynamic resolution isn't the same as foveated rendering.
    Turing model GPUs have driver/hardware support for Variable Rate Shading, which can be used to implement FR, so no doubt it'll be folded into NVidia's VRWorks SDK soon enough, but there are other ways by hand rolling the lens adaption/screen warp stage yourself.
  • I thought foveated rendering was just localised dynamic resolution with eye-tracking spport?
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I like a good Abrash chat at the Oculus Connect conference things to have a see how all the Facebook money is going on their research ends. 

The 2018 one was in September. 

Here's 5 minutes of the good stuff really.. 

Seems they want to go into deep learning to make foveated work nicely?
  • Ah, that also incorporates depth of field. Nice vid. It looks like as chump says, Nvidia will release a solution soon. I suppose Oculus don't have that luxury since they're going mobile.
  • isanbard wrote:
    I certainly don't see them having to keep the gen 1 headset as an option going forward.

Install base. Unlike the PC headsets, you're bringing in a brand new platform as well as asking people for fork out a few hundred for a new headset. If you have 3 million+ people who could buy a PS5, and for no extra outlay play PSVR games it makes it much more likely to survive/thrive than if you have to start from scratch.

For similar reasons, allowing the use of Move controllers and existing cameras was inspired.
  • Incidentally folks, there's a bunch of free PSVR demos here.
  • Ok, everyone can now see how good Headmaster is without having to buy it first.
  • That does actually look ace. I like games that can't be played outside of VR.
  • So Moss is a lovely thing too, just had a quick go of the latest demo collection. Animation on the mouse is superb, and each screen comes across as a labour of love. Really nice aesthetic overall, almost dolls housey. Switched it off because I already know I want it.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    I’m gonna get mine setup again.

For the folks who have a 4K TV and version 1 , how do have your HDMI cable set up? I don’t want to change hdmi cables all the time so I can have HDR on my PS4 games

No one?
  • I'm about as far from an expert as it gets on 4K stuff, but I didn't think v.1 allowed for HDR passthrough at all (I was looking at an article in the differences earlier in the week).
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    I’m gonna get mine setup again. For the folks who have a 4K TV and version 1 , how do have your HDMI cable set up? I don’t want to change hdmi cables all the time so I can have HDR on my PS4 games
    No one?
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'm about as far from an expert as it gets on 4K stuff, but I didn't think v.1 allowed for HDR passthrough at all (I was looking at an article in the differences earlier in the week).

I went through your situation after I had bought a 4K tv. You can buy a HDMI switch that lets you bypass the VR box when you watch 4K.

This one gets good reviews from what I can remember.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00W6XRCKA/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just ended up buying a V2 and sold the V1.
  • LtPidgeon wrote:
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    I’m gonna get mine setup again. For the folks who have a 4K TV and version 1 , how do have your HDMI cable set up? I don’t want to change hdmi cables all the time so I can have HDR on my PS4 games
    No one?
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'm about as far from an expert as it gets on 4K stuff, but I didn't think v.1 allowed for HDR passthrough at all (I was looking at an article in the differences earlier in the week).

I went through your situation after I had bought a 4K tv. You can buy a HDMI switch that lets you bypass the VR box when you watch 4K.

This one gets good reviews from what I can remember.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00W6XRCKA/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just ended up buying a V2 and sold the V1.

Cheers, I’ve seen that. Probably will get that as I don’t play VR enough to warrant changing headsets.

• As Firewall Zero Hour has a free weekend trial at the mo, has anyone tried it?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!