The QI thread of things you found reasonably arresting, mildly intriguing, & yes, quite interesting.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Over my 14 months I spent in Iraq, I probably fired a couple of thousand rounds. All of those, bar 15, were at figure 11 or figure 12 targets. And the 15 that weren't probably didn't kill anyone.

Everyone of my 12 man section probably fired about the same.

Even the chefs and clerks and vehicle mechanics would probably have fired 600 or so as part of their training when they arrived.

It's not "panic firing, poor aim or pissing about".
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    The final aerial shot in the original cinema edit of Bladerunner is taken from footage Scott got from helicopter footage from Kubrick, from Apocalypse Now. He had something like 17 hours worth of footage and said Scott could use some of it for the new ending (which came from studio pressure).

Got that nugget from The Hollywood Reporters roundtable on YouTube. Brilliant show where they sit down actors and directors to talk about film.

QFPT
  • Over my 14 months I spent in Iraq, I probably fired a couple of thousand rounds. All of those, bar 15, were at figure 11 or figure 12 targets. And the 15 that weren't probably didn't kill anyone. Everyone of my 12 man section probably fired about the same. Even the chefs and clerks and vehicle mechanics would probably have fired 600 or so as part of their training when they arrived. It's not "panic firing, poor aim or pissing about".

Yeah but you're not American.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    No, but I bet the training requirements are similar.
  • I know, I'm just being silly.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    From an academic point of view it would be interesting to know the ratio of rounds fired "in anger" vs intended kills and casualties, but even that stat would have massive caveats.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    From an academic point of view it would be interesting to know the ratio of rounds fired "in anger" vs intended kills and casualties, but even that stat would have massive caveats.

Yeah it's a strange distinction to make, the fact that press are reporting on it merely reinforces my view that the press have no good reason to be in theatre. A headline like that seems to imply that every round should kill and that soldiers somewhere are failing to kill enough foreigners. As you said as well, do you draw a distinction between suppressing fire, only count contacts at effective distance, it get's mad
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Still, keeps the arms companies happy. I suspect the money being made might have something to do with it.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    The final aerial shot in the original cinema edit of Bladerunner is taken from footage Scott got from helicopter footage from Kubrick, from Apocalypse Now. He had something like 17 hours worth of footage and said Scott could use some of it for the new ending (which came from studio pressure).

Got that nugget from The Hollywood Reporters roundtable on YouTube. Brilliant show where they sit down actors and directors to talk about film.

Pretty sure it was footage from The Shining (shot for the opening sequence), not Apocalypse Now.
    Get schwifty.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I found myself watching the same Roundtable last month, and I'm certain Scott mentioned Apocolypse Now dailies, and Stanley added some caveat about making sure none of the jungle was visible as it was technically owned by the studio
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    I found myself watching the same Roundtable last month, and I'm certain Scott mentioned Apocolypse Now dailies, and Stanley added some caveat about making sure none of the jungle was visible as it was technically owned by the studio

Tbf Scott does seem slightly addle brained. But I thought he said Apocolypse Now.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Fair enough, though given that this was post Prometheus, then Boris and I should really both have known better than to trust anything he says
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The best part of it was when Tarrentino said how he was so looking forward to watching Prometheus but then no one at the table ripped Scott for how shit the film was.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Could be my imagination, but I could swear Quentin raised his eyebrows in an 'Amirite guys? Amirite?'
  • cockbeard wrote:
    The closest planet to Earth, on average, is Mercury

Really?? Is that something weird like we're more often on the same side of the Sun as Mercury? Just it sounds mental? I mean given the amount of revolutions all three planets have made round the sun surely it averages out to orbit distance at some point?? My brain's doing weird things? Thanks for firing my curiosity

Source? Sounds like nonsense to me, although SG knows his shit.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    The closest planet to Earth, on average, is Mercury
    Really?? Is that something weird like we're more often on the same side of the Sun as Mercury? Just it sounds mental? I mean given the amount of revolutions all three planets have made round the sun surely it averages out to orbit distance at some point?? My brain's doing weird things? Thanks for firing my curiosity
    Source? Sounds like nonsense to me, although SG knows his shit.

It makes some sense, Mercury flies round the Sun really quickly, and Venus might well be at a much closer speed to us, so we could spend loads of time on the other side of the Sun to Venus 

v- - - S- m- - - - - - E 
    v- -m S- - - - - - - - E 
    v- - - S- m- - - - - - E 

But if we take the lowest common multiple of the year length of all three planets, then common sense (which is often not sensible) makes me think that as Earth and Venus aren't tidally locked on other sides of the Sun, then given it's closer orbit then Venus must be closer even on average

edit: I say lowest common multiple, but that might be wrong, I mean line them all up at '12' and then cycle until they all line up at  '12' again, which will happen eventually
  • I looked this up. Mercury’s orbit varies between 46 and 70 million kilometres. Venus holds a steady 108 million kilometres, while Earth moves between 147 and 152 million kilometres. So, the closest Mercury can be is 101, the furthest 222, so an average of 161.5. For Venus, the closest is 39, furthest 260, with an average 149.5...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That's not how averages work
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Re Bladerunner he did say Shining. I obviously wasn’t listening properly!
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:

It's an average, it's the median

But bringing in time as another dimension makes it extra confusing
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:

The fact still send weird though. Maybe it varies year on year??
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:

Was he asked about it as if it was Apocolypse Now! Or I'm that suggestive that you just mention something and I'm certain I remember it
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    The fact still send weird though. Maybe it varies year on year??

Is that a Mercurian, Venusian, or Earth year??
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:

Was he asked about it as if it was Apocolypse Now! Or I'm that suggestive that you just mention something and I'm certain I remember it

Think it’s the latter mate :-D
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Right so, taking the planets years as 88,224, and 365 earth days. That means if all three planets start in line at 12 o'clock, it will take 2464 earth years until they all meet at 12 o'clock again. Other that period of time no matter how weird the orbits each pair of planets will have have to have spent an equal time on the same side of the sun as they have on opposite sides of the sun

Surely if that's the case then Andy's numbers stand, the median orbital distance would count, or even if we have the time spent at each distance we could calculate a better average distance (mean over time), but that wouldn't be enough surely to negate the orbital distance between Mercury and Venus (c 50Million km) as that's a massive amount
  • acemuzzy wrote:

I get that I’m using very rough figures, and the elliptical orbits and orbit durations swing figures, but over all time? The orbits of each planet would need to be tied to each other, wouldn’t they?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yup. I think so
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    There are only two countries in the world that are doubly landlocked, i.e., fully surrounded by countries that themselves are also landlocked. These are Lichtenstein and Uzbekistan.

San Marino is the only country in the world with more cars than people.

The Twenty Seventh Amendment to the US Constitution took 202 years, 10 months, and seven days to ratify. A 19 year old college student launched a nation-wide campaign to get the amendment into the constitution after he received a C grade for an essay on the subject.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!